The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advise/guidance needed: studio build in basement
Old 3rd July 2006
Gear Addict

Advise/guidance needed: studio build in basement

The room in the basement I want to build a studio in is 4 by 5 meters, all grey concrete bricks. No windows, only a ventilation hole.

I need advise on how to soundproof the room as good as possible within a "normal" budget to use my Barefoot monitors to the best for mixing; but since I may need to move again in 2 years I dont want to spend a big deal into a fixed buildup.

But as I know about bass traps in the corners, soundproofing panels on the side walls and stuff, I dont know how to soundproof the room well enough at its basis, with ref. to the 4 walls and the floor which I'd thought to tile with some compressed cork or alike.

Not an easy task but mind you, I will get help from my girlfriend and a good pal!heh

So please, if you will, how would you proceed from scratch to the point when ready to move in the studio gear ? Please clearly state the steps, and if you want to be a great help, please describe forme what to do exactly,as I am a handyman.

Mind you, I'm confident I can do what is needed and I'm technically skilled, but I just want to do it properly and thus well-advised/informed from the start!

I hope you all will chime in and get me going...
Old 3rd July 2006
Lives for gear

First thing I would do is check out www.johnlsayers.com and do some searching of posts there.

I also think what you really need to do first is figure out just how much soundproofing you need... and what youre requirments are. You haven't stated whether you have neighbors above, below, to the left to the right.. or whether they are 200 yards away or 20 inches. All that makes a huge difference in what you will need to do.

That said, what I would suggest is having your run-of-the-mill band you plan on recording set up and play, while you stand outside with an SPL meter and figure how bad it is. Then at least you will know how much DB you need to compensate for.

Also remember that low end is going to be the problem, so what you really need to do is plan on decoupling the drum kit (with a riser made out of owens corning 705) and decoupling bass guitar rigs etc. Otherwise all that sub bass will just vibrate with whatever it is connected to and it will be felt for quite some distance.

Lastly, the real only way to soundproof is with lots of mass. Layers of drywall, that have been properly installed is still the tried and true method. But don't install a single sheet until you know exactly how to install it.. otherwise it will be a total waste of time & money. And don't bother with mass loaded vinyl or cheap soundproofing products... most of them don't work at all. Drywall, drywall, drywall... and more drywall.
Old 5th July 2006
Gear Addict

I will have no neighbours whatsoever, it s a clear standing house.

I only want to record and mix, no bands involved.
Old 5th July 2006
Lives for gear

Then it sounds like you need no sound-proofing at all. Just the bass traps you had mentioned previously and anything else you find you need to improve the way your room sounds inside. Good luck!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search