The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best DIY Trap EVER
Old 22nd August 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasmira View Post
I imagine it to be easy enough to build something like this out of PVC. Would post a rough sketch but I am at my cabin in the woods currently, not at home!
No worries, I am brainstorming like crazy about it. Gonna make a mini loft like design for a phatty cloud with a light perforated frame around the outside that is high enough to keep the insulation above the fan. I will make a thread about it. heh
Old 24th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonWithAHalo View Post
No worries, I am brainstorming like crazy about it. Gonna make a mini loft like design for a phatty cloud with a light perforated frame around the outside that is high enough to keep the insulation above the fan. I will make a thread about it. heh
Please do write about it if you get a good solution, it is a very common problem to have.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 24th August 2012
Lives for gear

Liking this idea, looks real clean, and simple.

What I did on a few traps was to build a frame using corner bead(drywall). Assembled with sheet metal screws. Light weight and turned out pretty solid. But I was covering the frames with a slip over bag my wife had made as per my specs. They have lasted a few years now. Actually trying to talk her into doing a few more for me for another room
Old 7th September 2012
Lives for gear
Slip bags are great if you have someone to sew them.

Sometimes I speculate that there ought to be a way of sewing in wire reinforcements into them like those instant pop up tents, and then you'd have a very lightweight panel that supports itself, but probably would not be stackable.

For me, the happy medium between overbuilt and underbuilt is a bit elusive.
Old 19th February 2014
Gear Head

Refreshing an old topic because I like the concept.
There are three different types of the cable trays;

- light duty
- medium duty
- heavy duty

The cheapest prices are online, therefore cannot check the quality. I am concerned about the strength and related weight. I need to know which is strong enough and won't break when bending or being flimsy once assembled.

Traced some ''medium duty'' (doesn't mention pre-galvanized) quite cheap and the weight for 3m is 3kg. Also not heavy, for about 5m - needed for one bass trap.

DanDan can you please ask your mate which ones he has used.
Old 19th February 2014
Gear Guru
Light

I am guessing Light Duty, and I have forwarded your question.
DD
Old 19th February 2014
Gear Head

Great and thank you. I will await your update.
Old 12th January 2016
Gear Head

Old topic I've found but it has been silent for these traps.

I assume they are very good, how are the results so far?
Old 14th January 2016
Here for the gear

Nice traps!
Old 25th February 2016
Here for the gear

Does anyone know a good uk dealer that sells those metal trays? I've managed to find some decent rocksilk at 100mm thickness, need to find metal trays to match
Old 25th February 2016
Gear Nut

How does one make an air gap in a DIY bass trap?
Old 25th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaknam View Post
Does anyone know a good uk dealer that sells those metal trays? I've managed to find some decent rocksilk at 100mm thickness, need to find metal trays to match
There is a UK supplier listed in the thread already....post 6.
Old 25th February 2016
Gear Addict

these are nice!

Any US suppliers in 2016?
Old 29th February 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenly View Post
How does one make an air gap in a DIY bass trap?
You can do it by building it into the back of the panel or just space it off the wall. I have seem people use door stops as spacers.
Ives 63F619E Satin Nickel - Build.com
Old 7th September 2017
I found the 703 panels are firm enough to keep their shape without looking pillowey all on their own, especially if hung on a wall by.

On the extreme cheep, what I did, was cut a 1"x2" board (or 1x4 if a 4" deep panel) the length of the top (2'), wrap half of a twin sheet around the 703 and staple it to the board. Put a few hooks in the top to hang them. I like to use these and canvases for artwork.
Old 7th September 2017
Gear Guru
Hard Back

A wooden or other hard back prevents the inclusion of an airgap. Open back allows one to space the trap out from the wall, which is really a free lunch in terms of extending the absorption down the spectrum.
Steel duct framing, a client of mine is using 100mm fibre with 150mm steel duct to include the gap neatly.
DD
Old 7th May 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
A wooden or other hard back prevents the inclusion of an airgap. Open back allows one to space the trap out from the wall, which is really a free lunch in terms of extending the absorption down the spectrum.
Steel duct framing, a client of mine is using 100mm fibre with 150mm steel duct to include the gap neatly.
DD
Hi Dan,

I am quoting this last post to let you know that the detailed build of this ingenious trap might be missing from your website.
Any chance you could reupload it?

thanks a lot

nicco
Old 7th May 2018
Gear Guru
Hacked

LOL, the website is waiting for my attention...

DD
Old 2nd August 2018
Here for the gear

For people in the UK looking to use cable trays for traps the aforementioned Steelworld Fabrications (post 6) is dissolved, the cheapest I've found for medium duty is Direct Channel Support Systems | HVAC Industry
Old 4th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Anyone have an exact link for something affordable in the US? If I look through a text catalog, I'll probably end up getting the wrong thing! :X
Old 27th November 2018
Here for the gear
Need a cable tray supplier in us

#1 I know this thread has been super inactive for a while but I'm currently looking to purchase some cable tray as this would make my theater trap build considerably less time involved and sleeker-looking. I was wondering if anyone knows any online suppliers that will ship within the US???? I have not been able to find sh*t locally, and most electrical suppliers are not keen on selling only 4-12 pcs at a time. I was originally looking for aluminum cable tray, but due to the price difference between aluminum and pre-galvanized steel I've been entertaining the PG option as long as it is cost and weight effective. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- ichigo
Old 27th November 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by plodsmeade View Post
For people in the UK looking to use cable trays for traps the aforementioned Steelworld Fabrications (post 6) is dissolved, the cheapest I've found for medium duty is Direct Channel Support Systems | HVAC Industry
Do you know of anything similar for a US Supplier?? I'm not trying to pay a stupid amount for shipping out of UK . . .

Old 3rd July 2019
Here for the gear

This is amazing and exactly what I was looking for. I’ve even found a supplier of the light 100mm on amazon UK - along with rockwool!

My question is, since I can’t find the instructions anywhere, what’s the best tool to cut the metal so that it can be bent, and what’s the best way of bending it? Also, wanting fabric to be on the outside to cover the metal, what do you think the best method of doing that would be, as the usual staple gun method probably won’t work..!
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonik View Post
This is amazing and exactly what I was looking for. I’ve even found a supplier of the light 100mm on amazon UK - along with rockwool!

My question is, since I can’t find the instructions anywhere, what’s the best tool to cut the metal so that it can be bent, and what’s the best way of bending it? Also, wanting fabric to be on the outside to cover the metal, what do you think the best method of doing that would be, as the usual staple gun method probably won’t work..!
Sheet metal cutters or tin snips which you can get at your local hardware store. Now you just cut the sides where you want the bend and bend by hand. It bends fairly easy. Use velcro for the breathable fabric you use.
I made my traps using corner bead for dry wall. Built a frame 4" and also 6" thick. Then my most amazing wife sewed me up some fabric bags that slipped over the frames with the rigid fibre glass in them. Easy, lightweight, and inexpensive.
Old 4th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Hawk View Post
Quote:

Sheet metal cutters or tin snips which you can get at your local hardware store. Now you just cut the sides where you want the bend and bend by hand. It bends fairly easy. Use velcro for the breathable fabric you use.
I made my traps using corner bead for dry wall. Built a frame 4" and also 6" thick. Then my most amazing wife sewed me up some fabric bags that slipped over the frames with the rigid fibre glass in them. Easy, lightweight, and inexpensive.
Cool - thanks for the pointers! Velcro should work, although how do you make sure it's tight on the back? It should stick well to the metal but will it stick well to the fabric?

Also, any chance you have a picture of your corner bead traps? I think I know how you've done it but a picture of the frame would be helpful if you have one!

Thanks again
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool - thanks for the pointers! Velcro should work, although how do you make sure it's tight on the back? It should stick well to the metal but will it stick well to the fabric?

Also, any chance you have a picture of your corner bead traps? I think I know how you've done it but a picture of the frame would be helpful if you have one!

Thanks again
I'll look around for pictures, cannot remember if I took some or not?

As for the velcro, I've used velcro that could stick to fabric just not as good as sewing on the velcro to the fabric. Can you sew?
Old 4th July 2019
Here for the gear

Good thinking - not yet, but I'm willing to learn to save up to £800 off retail panel prices..!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search