The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tim's Limp Mass Bass Absorbers
Old 11th March 2018
Gear Head

Hi there,

I thought I share my experience with my first LMA. After reading this hole thread and one on a different forum I was amazed about the power regarding the size this type of absorber has. I got some experience building a wooden panel absorber years ago so I'm not complete new to pressure based absorbers. I decided to build a big one first (120cm*80cm*21cm / 47.24" x 31.49" x 8.26" ). If that fails I could split it into two units. Which I will do...

Room Size is 349 x 409 x 257 (11,45' x 13,41' x 8,43'). Already a good amount of treatment on the front part of the room.

I needed to aim at the 41,1hz mode which bugs me even I equated the peak down. The decay remains of course.
I used the 510 formula not really sure if that would do it better or not. Actually because the depth build was smaller. I glued the rubber to a 1cm frame with Acryl which I wouldn't do again, cause the rubber weight is way too high for the stuff. Took me several days drying and redoing it..

SBR Rubber 9,66kg/m²
18mm mdf wood for the hole frame and backwall
weight is insane

Finally build the thing. With RTA running I knocked on the rubber sheet and got a resonance freq I was aiming to. Great!

Well thats the only great part of the story... To have some room for adjustments I made the frame depth a bit bigger. On some spots in the room which had measurable high pressure (and were spots where I only can suit such big sizzed modul) it made 0 difference changing the build depth from 5cm to 20cm. No luck. I was depressed somehow
The front opening was sealed and the backpanel was so tight I had a hard time to adjust it. So I rule out the air tightness. Only thing could be the limp factor or the low depth of the 510 formular (which differ by around 3cm in depth). In this room its kinda creepy whats going on with the 41hz mode. Sometimes it measures way less even I didn't change anything that crucial.

Anyway. After a long day measuring I gave up. For now the LMA stands in the middle of the backwall which was the only spot which had any change and the change was on good side.

Looking at the spectrogramm or decay there is a change and well its ok. Sounds a tad less on E notes but I would say it sounds like day and night difference. Not the holly gray for sure. I'm going to split the one into two parts now and test on.

After the result is less what I hoped for. How limp is your rubber? Is mine to limp maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
Tim's Limp Mass Bass Absorbers-img_8018.jpg   Tim's Limp Mass Bass Absorbers-img_8021.jpg   Tim's Limp Mass Bass Absorbers-img_8015.jpg   Tim's Limp Mass Bass Absorbers-left_right_wo_lma_3.jpg   Tim's Limp Mass Bass Absorbers-left_right_w_lma_3.jpg  

Tim's Limp Mass Bass Absorbers-left_right_wo_lma_2.jpg   Tim's Limp Mass Bass Absorbers-left_right_w_lma_2.jpg   Tim's Limp Mass Bass Absorbers-left_right_wo_lma_1.jpg   Tim's Limp Mass Bass Absorbers-left_right_w_lma_1.jpg  
Old 17th April 2018
Here for the gear

Forgive me if this has already been asked but what would happen if I used two unbonded layers of MLV in the same box? For example, I am looking at building boxes for 38 hz and 85 hz. I have calculated I can use the same box depth of 8 inches for both frequencies but I will need to use 2.5 lbs/sqft MLV for the 38 hz box and I will need to use 0.5 lb/sqft MLV for the 85 hz box. What would happen if I used 0.5 lb/sqft MLV on the 38 hz box and then put a thin spacer around the perimeter and added 2 lb/sqft MLV over it? Would that work? Or would it end up working for both 42hz [(170/((2*8)^(1/2))] and 85 hz (assuming spacer is very thin)? Either way, this could be a cool benefit right?
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

My experience is that too heavy rubber will not work. Maybe for very low freq, but in that case other solutions are better.
I made good results with ~3kg/m² on 20cm depth:
Attached Thumbnails
Tim's Limp Mass Bass Absorbers-unbenannt.jpg  
Old 18th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirochandler View Post
My experience is that too heavy rubber will not work. Maybe for very low freq, but in that case other solutions are better.
I made good results with ~3kg/m² on 20cm depth:
Ok. What designfreq. is aimed for and what formular you used to calculate the depth (600 or the 510 value)? Did you place the Limpy in corner?
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

It was not designed for a specific frequency; it was only a test series.
The picture should show that it really works when material-weight and depth is in a good ratio.
Even if a calculator gives a nice result, you have to find a ratio that works.
Same with Helmholtz absorbers.
Old 19th June 2018
Here for the gear

Hi again!

I had great results treating my former room with four 80 x 120 cm LMAs (see earlier in this thread).
However, landlords daughter suddenly wanted to move into our house, and we had to leave (bit of a bummer, finished the studio 6 months earlier
Now i'm building my new CR and since i had to change the LMA tunings anyway and they were rigid, i decided to make them permanently tunable, following claudio's build:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudio Ribeiro View Post
Hi nms and DanDan,
Thanks for your input.
Nms, i've made them 25,5 cm deep to be able to play around and fine tune them. The system was simple. 2 screws on the back to pull / push back and forward the rigid back (see photos with location and details)
if we consider the depth with the rigid back, the measure is 9,5 cm wich left us with 16 cm depth.
I've a question wondering in my mind. If the excess depth in the box influence the resonance frequency? If you know some information, good. Otherwise thats what we will find out in the next constructions trimmed closer the the predicted measure and placed as you suggested. Size to.

DanDan,
you're also right. I tried to dial in the numbers but I'm not confident with the results. I'm afraid that the promising report i gave was incorrect. it shows around 2 - 2,5 db attenuation each. FILES
At least looks like in RT30 the values have been enormously reduced, and sounds like.
It's impressive after deal with the first mode, everything sound so much better.
Is there a relation?

Cheers
Right now, i tuned two boxes to 42.5 Hz (the first side wall mode) and i'd like to share the results with you guys. Interesting that, although the 50Hz Mode didn't show itself in the waterfalls as a clear long ringing (not in the listener position nor in the corners where the LMAs are placed, most likely because of interferences with other first modes), the 50 Hz LMAs do a great job on the SPL!

Here are some Pics & Graphs, i will keep you updated on the built of the other LMAs. For modal measurement i used a subwoofer with frequency range 20 -120 Hz, in case you wonder why the SPL suddenly drops at 120

EDIT: The measurement with two LMAs (Red) is corrupt due to change of the sub position.
Attached Thumbnails
Tim's Limp Mass Bass Absorbers-spl-green-no-lma-purple-1-lma-red-2-lma.jpg   Tim's Limp Mass Bass Absorbers-waterfall-no-lma.jpg   Tim's Limp Mass Bass Absorbers-waterfall-1-x-50-hz-lma.jpg   Tim's Limp Mass Bass Absorbers-waterfall-2-x-50hz-lma.jpg   Tim's Limp Mass Bass Absorbers-img_20180619_141457.jpg  

Last edited by YesSir; 11th July 2018 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: Corrupt Measurement (red)
Old 30th June 2018
Gear Nut

Hi Tim! Thnx for this awesome post, will def try to solve my studios bass problems with this

One question: you mention that the size of the box is not toi relevant. Thing is, I found this limp mass absorber 7,5kg/m2 which they sell in 40x100cm pieces. If say I try to absorb 43hz, could I make two 40x50cm bokses out this one sheet? Would be money efficient

Thnx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant View Post
Over the years I have had great success fixing smallish room bass problems with limp mass absorbers. As there are so many threads here about this very problem, I have posted my design here for you to use. It's not that flash, but they do work if you follow the instructions. The most common question is going to be, "how many do I need?". In most smallish rooms (like this one Time to give up on the 80Hz null? - Gearslutz Pro Audio Community ) sometimes only 4 absorbers per problem frequency mounted at the corners will be effective and you can always add more if needed.

Cheers
Tim.

Edit; I have added a Excel frequency calculator, enter your mass and depth into the red areas and it will spit out approx frequency.

Edit; I get asked a lot of questions about these so here are a few answers to the commonly asked questions and some points to consider.

1] These traps are intended to tame room modes, so measure your room dimensions and calculate the modes. Measuring with microphones does not necessarily identify problematic modes.

2] These traps may not work in small rooms where the largest dimension is less than 4 meters. A lumpy low end frequency response might be caused by other factors.

3] If you are only going to make just 2 traps, make the outside dimensions (area) larger than shown. Ideally, making a lot of smaller traps with different depths is preferred and 2 small traps might do very little. One trap in all 4 ceiling/wall/wall junctions might be a better way to go.

4] The direction the membrane is facing is in the room does not appear to be critical.

5] In small rooms, some experimentation in placement would be required. Try on the floor in the corner behind your monitors.

6] The idea of mounting them into corners in a cluster as I have shown is that the corner is effectively eliminated, it does not exist anymore, and has been replaced by a low frequency diffusive element (the boxes) as well as the membrane absorber.

7] The membrane across the front should remain limp, do not tension it. Any tension will shift the target frequency and raise the Q.
Old 11th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaakkol View Post
Hi Tim! Thnx for this awesome post, will def try to solve my studios bass problems with this

One question: you mention that the size of the box is not toi relevant. Thing is, I found this limp mass absorber 7,5kg/m2 which they sell in 40x100cm pieces. If say I try to absorb 43hz, could I make two 40x50cm bokses out this one sheet? Would be money efficient

Thnx!
Hey jaakol!

I calculated the overall dimension using the same ratio tim did, which is 2/3 (width/height). 80x120 is the same ratio as 40x60, so one of mine has the same surface as four of Tim's LMAs.
I don't know what happens if you use different ratios and smaller sizes than Tim did, but i could imagine that smaller surfaces at a certain point stop to work on lower frequencies.
With "limp mass absorber" i assume you mean the material you use, the limp mass;
if you have difficulties finding the right material, maybe try finding some supply for rubber floor mats / floor protection. I (and others) used SBR rubber mats, important is that it behaves equally limp as rubber does (and that you know the weight).

Cheers

Yessir
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesSir View Post
I calculated the overall dimension using the same ratio tim did, which is 2/3 (width/height). 80x120 is the same ratio as 40x60, so one of mine has the same surface as four of Tim's LMAs. ...
Congrats on the success with your LMA's. Couple of questions for you.
  1. Since you used a 4-in-1 cabinet design, did you put dividers in the middle to make 4 internal cavities, each being the same size as Tim's?
  2. If so, did you also glue the membrane to the + divider edges as well ?
  3. What is the depth of your lowest LMA's? I have used both Tim's algorithm and the Acoustic Modelling - Home Page calculator and they come up with slightly different depths.

I have 2 room modes compounding at 40Hz that I would like to tame.

Also, FWIW, someone posted a diagram of gluing up the membrane earlier in the thread that might make things go faster. They laid the membrane out flat on the assembly table (surface must be flat). They added glue to the face edges of the box and then lowered the box, facing down on the membrane. One could add weights on the back of the box in leu of clamps during the dry time. The membrane should be flat with no ripples or stretches using this method.

Thanks much and congrats on your success.
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Head
Anyone what to own up to this build using sheet metal sandwiched between 2 membranes ??? Interesting design, but no results given.

Old 16th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
Congrats on the success with your LMA's. Couple of questions for you.
  1. Since you used a 4-in-1 cabinet design, did you put dividers in the middle to make 4 internal cavities, each being the same size as Tim's?
  2. If so, did you also glue the membrane to the + divider edges as well ?
  3. What is the depth of your lowest LMA's? I have used both Tim's algorithm and the Acoustic Modelling - Home Page calculator and they come up with slightly different depths.

I have 2 room modes compounding at 40Hz that I would like to tame.

Also, FWIW, someone posted a diagram of gluing up the membrane earlier in the thread that might make things go faster. They laid the membrane out flat on the assembly table (surface must be flat). They added glue to the face edges of the box and then lowered the box, facing down on the membrane. One could add weights on the back of the box in leu of clamps during the dry time. The membrane should be flat with no ripples or stretches using this method.

Thanks much and congrats on your success.
Hey there!

1. No, just one big box the size of four. If you consider putting in dividers (should work as well), i suggest you could as well build four small boxes cause they are more flexible Placement-wise.
2. With dividers in there, it would make sense to glue the Membrane to the dividers as well, otherwise they would be senseless.
One Problem i came across while gluing is the gravitary pull of the Membrane, i thought of a divider-solution as well but was finally able to handle it without.
3. Do you mean the formula i am using for depth calculation?
510 / root(kg * depth cm)
This formula only applies if you fill 20% of the cavity with low density rockwool. Without any rockwool, it would be 600 instead of 510.

And for the gluing question: i used a Silicone-type glue that should not be squeezed out when applied, its supposed to build a layer between the wood and the limp mass. Lowering the box onto the glue would apply too much pressure.
Check my earlier post for Details here:Tim's Limp Mass Bass Absorbers

Let me know how it works out!

Cheers
Old 16th August 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesSir View Post
3. Do you mean the formula i am using for depth calculation?
510 / root(kg * depth cm)
This formula only applies if you fill 20% of the cavity with low density rockwool. Without any rockwool, it would be 600 instead of 510.
Thanks for the answers.

The formulas I was referring to was Tim's original formula and the Multi-layer Absorber modeling calculator that is used/referenced from time to time here on GearSlutz.

http://www.acousticmodelling.com

Also, FWIW, the internal dividers would add some structural consistency to edges to prevent bowing over time.

I was considering making doubles because that size would coincidentally fit in my locations and save some construction time over singles. Quads would be too big for my application.
Old 30th November 2018
May I revive this thread?
I found this interesting read
https://asa.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1121/2.0000816
Old 11th May 2019
Here for the gear

Thinking myself of making some Limp Mass absorbers, (actually trying to figure out a strategy for a rebulkd since I have moved and left my treated room behind) to get generically at frequencies below eg., 150Hz. I was thinking to make a range of them like targeted at 50Hz, 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120, 140Hz, maybe some extra few aimed at the theoretcal modes seen in the Amroc table for modes that come up for any one room measurement.

But I noticed at GIK acoustics, that they build theirs aimed at 1/3 octaves:
40, 50, 63 and 80 Hz. http://www.rpgeurope.com/products/pr...dexmodule.html

I can see a list of 1/3 octave frequencies at http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/t...QRTV-09-05.pdf

What is going on with 1/3 octaves that makes them so important to target?

Thanks
Old 11th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by romus View Post
Thinking myself of making some Limp Mass absorbers, (actually trying to figure out a strategy for a rebulkd since I have moved and left my treated room behind) to get generically at frequencies below eg., 150Hz. I was thinking to make a range of them like targeted at 50Hz, 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120, 140Hz, maybe some extra few aimed at the theoretcal modes seen in the Amroc table for modes that come up for any one room measurement.

But I noticed at GIK acoustics, that they build theirs aimed at 1/3 octaves:
40, 50, 63 and 80 Hz. http://www.rpgeurope.com/products/pr...dexmodule.html

I can see a list of 1/3 octave frequencies at http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/t...QRTV-09-05.pdf

What is going on with 1/3 octaves that makes them so important to target?

Thanks
Regarding the 1/3 octave spacing might have to do with the limp membranes broad absorption range. So its not so important to hit a small frequency area. In my room i mainly targeted 30, 60 and 90 Hz and it worked pretty well...
Old 12th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuelzB View Post
Regarding the 1/3 octave spacing might have to do with the limp membranes broad absorption range. So its not so important to hit a small frequency area. In my room i mainly targeted 30, 60 and 90 Hz and it worked pretty well...
Ah, yes, I think this might be it -- Tim Farrant said they are effective for half an octive below and one octive above the target frequency, so it you step up in Octaves, then the cross over of the different depths will be distributed evenly (rather than just going mathematically, 40-50-60-70.

The RPG ones are third octave centre frequencies 40, 50, 63 and 80 Hz which is:
40 range 20 - 60
50 range 25 - 75
63 range 32 - 92
80 range 40 - 120
That's a lot of cross over, maybe they concluded this ends up as close enough to get a very even absorption.
Old 13th May 2019
Here for the gear

Limp mass absorber with tensioning

Would this work so you can tension them with some control, for building, but also after measuring your room? It's not a perfect way to do it but it is a simple idea.

The way I am thinking this would work, is:
Screw one top and one side bracket, then tension and hold the other side and top with a clamp, then test if you are happy with the tension setting. Adjust as necessary, then screw in to hold.

Read about tensioning it at this article, under the section, “Adding the damping factor”. So, the MLV should be attached firmly, but not stretched. You should be able to thump the finished panel of MLV with the heel of your hand so there is just the initial overshoot with a very small and slow spring back and then the energy is gone. It’s a thump, not shuddering with vibration, and it’s not saggy; it doesn’t twang, it sounds dead.

Also I read, I think in the BBC literature, that adding dense foam at the join significantly helps the vibration flexibility of the MLV more uniformly, and I think this would work if you are taking the MLV over the edge like the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Tim's Limp Mass Bass Absorbers-mlv.png   Tim's Limp Mass Bass Absorbers-limp-mass-absorber-tention-2.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen View Post
I have to say this is some of the most effective treatment I have ever built. I decided to build 12 units at 600x450mm, using 4kg/m2 MLV. 6 tuned to 80Hz and other 6 to 100Hz. I have finished 5 80Hz units and the results are pretty bloody awesome just randomly standing up the "boxes" in corners of the room. Can't wait for others to be ready.
Thanks very much, Tim. You're a legend!!
Nice. Planning on building 2 or 3 of these myself (but adding OC703 inside as well..at the back after the air gap). What are the depths of the 100Hz and 80Hz units? How do you control the tuned frequency, depth, tension of the membrane, or otherwise? Also I'm assuming the backs are sealed up but can't tell from the pics. Thx.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

I have read throughout the whole thread and I couldn't find a straight answer to this question. What if you membrane is 13kg/m2? It's still SBR but it's 10mm thick. Would that still work out as a limp membrane?
Hope someone manages to give me a reply...
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

My calculations

Quote:
Originally Posted by romus View Post
Ah, yes, I think this might be it -- Tim Farrant said they are effective for half an octive below and one octive above the target frequency, so it you step up in Octaves, then the cross over of the different depths will be distributed evenly (rather than just going mathematically, 40-50-60-70.

The RPG ones are third octave centre frequencies 40, 50, 63 and 80 Hz which is:
40 range 20 - 60
50 range 25 - 75
63 range 32 - 92
80 range 40 - 120
That's a lot of cross over, maybe they concluded this ends up as close enough to get a very even absorption.

Here are my calculations:
We can use commonly available mass loaded vinyl of 1 lb/sq ft (5Kg/m2) or 1/2 lb/sq ft (2.5kg/m2).
We do need to do a little bit of calculation to know what depth the boxes need to be for a range of frequencies between 40Hz and 150Hz. Let’s design them in one third octave steps, similar to RPG’s modex modules (which target 40, 50, 63, 80, and 100Hz), to broadly cover the low frequency area. We can see the crossover of the range of each module, as Tim Farant explains, “The absorbers have a useful range of about one half octave above and below the design frequency”:
Module: 40Hz (range 30Hz - 60Hz) Internal depth of box 33cm [using MLV 5kg/m2] make 4 or more.
Module: 50Hz (range 38Hz - 75Hz) Internal depth of box 30cm [using MLV 5kg/m2] make 4 or more.
Module: 63Hz (range 47Hz - 95Hz) Internal depth of box 13cm RPG [using MLV 5kg/m2] make 4 or more.
Module: 80Hz (range 60Hz - 120Hz) Internal depth of box 8cm RPG [if MLV 2.5kg/m2, then depth 16cm] make 4 or more.
Module: 100Hz (range 75Hz - 150Hz) Internal depth of box 5cm RPG [if MLV 2.5kg/m2, then depth 10cm] make 4 or more.
Module: 125Hz (range 94Hz - 187Hz) OPTIONAL [if MLV 2.5kg/m2, then depth 6.72cm] make 4 or more.
I have added one more 125Hz module than the RPG range, to make sure we cross over into the 150Hz area. I also have suggested building the first three lower frequency ones with MLV of f 1 lb/sq ft (5Kg/m2), and the higher bass frequency ones with MLV of 1/2 lb/sq ft (2.5kg/m2). This is for two reasons, the larger the air mass the better they work, and thinner the MLV the more likely it is to vibrate and therefore work reliably.

When I calculated the depth of the boxes, I referenced this link (Tim's Limp Mass Bass Absorbers), the calculation being fo = 510/square root of MxD, where M is the surface density(mass) of membrane in Kg/m2 and D is depth of enclosure in cm. The 510 is lowered from the theoretical 600 figure to take into account how the MLV vibrates less near the edges. Here is an example of how the calculation works - you enter the weight, guess a size and calculate, readjusting until you get the frequency you are aiming for. If you buy MLV that is slightly different in weight, you could recalculate to get the right (theoretical) cabinet depths.
fo = 510/square root of MxD
fo = 510/square root of 5x33 (5 is the weight of the MLV in Kg/m2, 33 is a guess at the depth)
fo = 510/square root of 165
fo = 510/ 12.8452325787
fo = 39.7 (~40Hz)

The way, I see it, this is pretty substantial treatment for the low bass areas. Maybe if you want a building stage A and B, for building stage A you could just build ones to target the frquency issue areas as you can see in the amroc calculator for your room size. Then for stage B, you build to cover all frequencies. But I think the way to do it is buy the MLV in rolls enough for stage B, in any case. The advantage, I see of buildign a range straight away, is that if the tensioning is not done exactly right for the targeted frequency, if I build the range and tension them in the same way, it will nevertheless evenly work across the frequency range.

Any feedback, much appreciated.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

In light of these new formula I need to redo my calculations. However wouldn't it be fair to say that if I use an SBR with more mass, over 10kg/m2, then this with the proper depth of the box, would allow me to treat even lower frequencies? After all the important thing is to keep the membrane limp and not straighten out like a drum head.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

You can use Prairiedogs http://www.acousticmodelling.com/multi.php which seems to be quite dependable for simulations. Play around with different air gaps between the backside of the SBR and the layer of insulation behind to find an optimal versus frequncy It is necessary you know the airflow resistivity of the insulation you use. There’s a good thread about this by Lindaas on the forum. Both air gap and insulation values will affect effective width around the max absorbtion.

1) After simulations and if you have have a studwall with say c-c 600 mm ( about 24”) between the
studs, first seal off gaps between the studs versus the wall.
2) Install the insulation in the studwall,
3) Nail a wooden frame inside the studwall in front of the insulation. Cross section 20x20 mm (about 3/4”) may be OK.
4) Nail together a loose wooden frame, together with some wood glue. Make sure this loose frame will fit with onto the frame in the studwall.
5) Put the loose frame on the floor and place some loose scrap pieces (which have the same thickness as the frame) inside the frame. Nail the rubber sheeting onto the loose frame. The scrap pieces inside the frame make sure the sheeting stays flat and doesn’t sag down.
6) Nail the frame with the rubber sheeting onto the frame inside the studwall
7) Cover borders, gaps and nailheads with a sealant. The sealant should be flexible over time and not harden. I have used MS polymer which in my opinion sticks better to wood and various materials than silicone. MS Polymer has about 20-25% flexibility after curing, it is also non toxic and doesn’t smell bad.

If the rubber sheeting faces the insulation, the air gap will be be 20 mm. If it faces the room it will of course be 20+20 = 40 mm, In case you build a separate box, you can go about the same way as for a studwall. Dimension of nails you use have to be suitable versus frame width so the wood doesn't splinter. With heavy material like you have, you may have to use 25x25 mm cross section.
Attached Thumbnails
Tim's Limp Mass Bass Absorbers-morgan-sbr-10-mm.jpg  
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Many thanks for the reply Adhoc!!

I have walked across the room pinpointing which areas do I have pressure build-ups, and I would like to address them by building up these limp membrane absorbers.
Would it be ok if I "sandwich" the membrane? I saw an image posted here and wondering if it's a good approach. The membrane is heavy so that's why using a sandwich solution might work best. I know I don't have to stretch it, just staple it and seal the edges with polymer sealant.
Also I am sort of lucky that I know the gas flow resistivity of the rockwool, which is 12000 rayls.
Attached Thumbnails
Tim's Limp Mass Bass Absorbers-mlv_panel_absorber.jpg  
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

SBR-rubber varies in density between 1,05 to 1,50 gram/cm³, depending on amount of carbon black in it and if it is reinforced with cloth inside or not. Tolreances for thickness are a bit coarse compared to metal sheeting. -So, in case you don't have a dependable scale I would cut off a piece 100x100 mm (= 1/100 of a m²) and take it to the post office to have the actual weight / m² checked. (I would not trust a published figure in a data sheet, sometimes there are errors in them.)

The image looks fine.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search