The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roxul Rockboard 60 & 2" Acoustic Foam!!!
Old 21st February 2012
Gear Head

Roxul Rockboard 60 & 2" Acoustic Foam!!!

Hello All,

I'm trying to avoid using fabric to cover the BASS traps I'm building (6 of them) & was considering gluing either 2" Auralex Foam or 2" Next Acoustics Foam on top of a 2" Roxul Rockboard 60 batt, which would be fitted into a 6" deep frame, with a 2" air gap in the back. Would this be effective & work for me???

Thanks!!!
Old 21st February 2012
Gear Guru

Sure that would work. I would be careful not to use to much glue though. Maybe just a light spray will hold them in place.
Old 21st February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
Sure that would work. I would be careful not to use to much glue though. Maybe just a light spray will hold them in place.
THANK YOU so much for your response Glenn!!! I really appreciate it...

Regarding the acoustical foam, I've come across 2 online foam companies (FOAM BY MAIL & FOAM FACTORY) that have GREAT prices!!! I'm wondering if this might be an ECONOMICAL, but just as EFFECTIVE route or should I avoid such companies??? Thanks again!!!
Old 21st February 2012
Gear interested

from what i've read on these forums, foam by mail is a scam, at least as far as their reported acoustic properties are concerned. do a search for foam by mail, and you'll see lots of talk on the topic. however, since you're using it more as a fabric, it's acoustic "transparency" might actually help!
Old 21st February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebigdoor View Post
from what i've read on these forums, foam by mail is a scam, at least as far as their reported acoustic properties are concerned. do a search for foam by mail, and you'll see lots of talk on the topic. however, since you're using it more as a fabric, it's acoustic "transparency" might actually help!
Hmmmmm... Sounds interesting... Thanks, I appreciate it!!!
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nydp4real View Post
Hmmmmm... Sounds interesting... Thanks, I appreciate it!!!
If you do not have the foam yet there really isn't a reason to get it. I would suggest just going with some fabric. The traps will already absorb the high end, you won't be adding to its absorption with the foam by much if at all.

If you just cover the whole thing in fabric with some sharp corners it will look great by itself

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
May I ask why you say this? I would assume that too much glue can harden and change the density quite a bit for the front of the panel, almost like putting a very thin wood board (or perhaps more like cardboard) in front of the panel. This is just what my common sense points out, but there isn't much common sense in acoustics, so thats why I asked

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search