The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
small garage floor Studio Monitors
Old 19th February 2012
Here for the gear

small garage floor

hey how's it going gs...i'm getting into my first home studio project, which is in a small garage. the dimensions are approx. 18.5 x 11 x 7.5. i'm not expecting anything spectacular, but i'm definitely trying to learn as much as i can and see how good it can get on small budget (< $500)

i'm going to be using mostly OC 703 at 1", 2", and 4" thicknesses for the ceiling and corners, as well as in the center of a couple walls. this seems to be the foundation of good treatment from what i've read...or at least a good place to start.

two questions that i'm not clear on as of yet though:

i've read that totally carpeting a floor gives a very muddy or perhaps boxy or wooly sound? it seems like hardwood is the ideal method, or reflective tiles or linoleum help as well...but what about my garage's concrete floor? would you think it's too reflective to leave some of it open? obviously the best thing to do is experiment, but after reading all these empirical results about materials, i'm just curious as to others' experience.

also, i randomly came across a dumpster full of this foam (see attachments)...not sure what it's called exactly, but it seems like it has some sort of absorptive value. my plan now is to scatter these lightly throughout...the 703 panels are going to take up a majority of the wallspace, and i don't want to overkill the room...i guess my question is, should i try to build something more deliberate design-wise as a panel with these (i have a sh!t ton of them...) rather than just placing them randomly/singularly?

any advice much appreciated.
d
Attached Thumbnails
small garage floor-lump.jpg   small garage floor-flat.jpg  
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

That is actually not a bad size for a room, but do you plan to track as well as mix in there? If thats the case, its a little small. Concrete is actually fine to use, much better than carpeting the place. Most people just don't like the look of concrete (but some people do stain concrete, which can look quite cool)

703 will work great. There is almost no value in using 1" thick 703. 2" thick will be good for reducing flutter echo, and will be good for your first reflection points, and while it does absorb some bass, you should note that doubling a panel from 2" to 4" thick will exponentially increase its bass absorption.

The general idea to get started is to treat first reflection points from the monitors, as well as the corners of the space.

If you actually placed as much bass traps as were needed in the space, your highs would be well controlled. There is absolutely NO value to the foam if you plan on making ~10 traps or so. They can deaden the sound more than your room really needs. Now, if you really wanted to put it up, you could, but try to put it up anywhere other than your first reflections. That may help lessen the deadening effect, while helping to control decay times. Again, building multiple bass traps will be much more beneficial than using the foam.

You should be a little more descriptive on the purpose of the room.

Do you Mix? Master? Produce? Record? What do you plan on recording? Will you be doing bass influenced music? What speakers will you be using?

Good luck on your room
Old 22nd February 2012
Here for the gear

thanks for the insight kasmira. i do plan to track as well as mix...thus i was thinking it's a bit undersized. what i'm trying to do is track and mix/produce my own solo music mainly, as well as mix/produce some film sound and scoring gigs for some friends. my music is generally electro-acoustic percussion going along with soundscapes/drones and heavily effected instruments...(hopefully) finely detailed & delicate sound design is the kick to it. it does tend to feature bass heavily...i definitely push for a cinematic feel to the sub presence. but since it's mostly sampled and sequenced material, i think the room size actually shouldn't be too much of a hindrance on any tracking...i'm planning on grabbing some used Adam A7's soon, they seem to be unanimously accepted as being some of the clearest and most neutral around that price point.

noted about the 1" 703. i'm glad the concrete will work out. seems like i should be able to get this room going along alright!

d
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Old 23rd February 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
i've read that totally carpeting a floor gives a very muddy or perhaps boxy or wooly sound? it seems like hardwood is the ideal method, or reflective tiles or linoleum help as well...but what about my garage's concrete floor?
Concrete will more or less reflect the same as wood so just leave the concrete. You can always paint it or better yet stain it which looks pretty cool.

Quote:
also, i randomly came across a dumpster full of this foam (see attachments)...not sure what it's called exactly, but it seems like it has some sort of absorptive value. my plan now is to scatter these lightly throughout...the 703 panels are going to take up a majority of the wallspace, and i don't want to overkill the room...i guess my question is, should i try to build something more deliberate design-wise as a panel with these (i have a sh!t ton of them...) rather than just placing them randomly/singularly?
I would skip the foam (same reason to skip the carpet). You can always get more 703 down the road and do the studio over time. No reason to cut corners.
Old 23rd February 2012
Here for the gear

thanks a bunch guys. that pretty much gets it.

d
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search