The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Room Treatment Modular Synthesizers
Old 13th February 2012
GS Member No. 251

Room Treatment

I am looking to fix up some space I have to turn it from a project to a professional studio. I am very lost, so any info on how much it would cost, who could do it (live near NY), etc. Right now I have space for a small-mid sized mix room, a semi small live room, and an Isobooth.
Thanks for the help, and please, if I forgot any info, post what I will forgot so I can fix it.
Thanks
Old 14th February 2012
Gear Guru

I think it would help if you gave some info about your room (pictures, layout and so on) and also what kind of budget you have to work with. We range from $500 (starting out) to upwards of 10K plus, so there is a pretty big budget range.
BTW I would not put a iso booth in your place. You are much better off to use the room you have as iso booths never sound all that great.
Old 14th February 2012
JWL
Lives for gear

Make sure that you have enough cubic volume to split the room into 3 rooms that are big enough to sound good. If not, it's better to have one all-purpose room big enough for good sound, than 3 rooms, each too small to sound good. Generally a volume of 2500 cubic feet is a good rule of thumb.

For more detail on why, like Glenn, I am suspicious of small booths, see RealTraps - Vocal Booths
Old 14th February 2012
GS Member No. 251

I've got a small live room that is 27' long, 13' wide, and 7 1/2' tall. I have a 200 sq ft space for storage. For control I got about 13 3/4 wide and 12 3/4 long, and 7 1/2' tall. I also got 13' long by 9 1/2' wide by 7 1/2 feet tall space with nothing going on. If so needed, I'd be willing to knock down the existing walls and start with a clean slate. I want it professional, so if anyone could tell me how much this would cost, it would be greatly appreciated. No existing treatment/insulation is installed. Thanks
Old 15th February 2012
JWL
Lives for gear

Your questions are still very general, especially for a forum. If you want it done right, either be prepared to hire a studio designer, or take a lot of time to research/learn how to do it yourself.

You could start with Rod Gervais' book, or look for a studio designer in your area.
Old 15th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl View Post
If you want it done right, either be prepared to hire a studio designer, or take a lot of time to research/learn how to do it yourself.
+1

Old 15th February 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezyanna View Post
I've got a small live room that is 27' long, 13' wide, and 7 1/2' tall. I have a 200 sq ft space for storage. For control I got about 13 3/4 wide and 12 3/4 long, and 7 1/2' tall. I also got 13' long by 9 1/2' wide by 7 1/2 feet tall space with nothing going on. If so needed, I'd be willing to knock down the existing walls and start with a clean slate. I want it professional, so if anyone could tell me how much this would cost, it would be greatly appreciated. No existing treatment/insulation is installed. Thanks
Those 2 rooms you have are pretty small for a control room so going with both would be best. Not sure if they are side by side or would be one long room or what. As the others said you may want to do a bit more reach (like Rods book) to get a better understanding.
Can you post a diagram of the over all layout you have to work with?
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

Rod Gervais' book is extremely useful in a situation like this. He goes over how to build everything, in lamens terms, as well as terms to tell any contractors you work with to make sure its done RIGHT. If you aren't looking to research much into it yourself, you could also hire a professional. Rod Gervais himself lives in CT, and has done multiple projects in NY if I remember correctly. If you do want a designer, you could contact him with quite a bit more specifics to your situation to have him design a space for you. "How much will it cost" is an extreme question. That depends on so many variables its almost ludicrous to ask.

What type of stuff do you record? Will you be mastering as well? How much construction/diy will you be doing yourself? Will you be hiring contractors to do the build? Does it need to be well isolated? Are you buying gear? Soffit mounting speakers? Invisible Alpha treatment? Re-building the control room walls for a classic LEDE design? Putting new floors down? Painting? Isolating HVAC ducts?

I mean, even if you answer those questions it could still cost you $5,000 to $50,000 to who knows what. The question shouldn't be "how much will it cost" - the question should be "This is how much I have to spend, I record this and mix that, and I need this, this, and that in my space - is this possible?"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search