The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acoustic Panels question
Old 12th February 2012
Gear Nut

Acoustic Panels question

Hello,

i've done 32panels to my room and now i have doubt about the ceiling.
does 2 Panels with 6cms each of rock woll above my listening position should be enough? or it's better to make it with 12cms each?

not sure if there's any thread already open with this kind of question... if yes, i'm sorry but need to know it asap because tomorrow is Sunday and i'm closing all of them with the fabric.

hope anyone can help me.
Old 13th February 2012
Gear Guru

I would go with 12cm if you can and space it off the ceiling a few cm. If you go with 6cm then space it 8cm or so off the ceiling.
Old 13th February 2012
Gear Guru

Gap

+1. 12cm recommended but do also include a big air gap, e.g. 12cm or even more, if you have the space. Airgap= Free Lunch.
The thread you want is Q4Avare. But in short gaps of 1:1 are very common, but 2:1 or even as much as 5:1 happens.
DD
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandioca View Post
Hello,

i've done 32panels to my room and now i have doubt about the ceiling.
do you have specific (measured and identified) issues that you are looking to address? what is the purpose of the room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandioca View Post
does 2 Panels with 6cms each of rock woll above my listening position should be enough? or it's better to make it with 12cms each?
"enough" to fix what specific issue?
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear

Old 14th February 2012
Gear Nut

i'm an electronic music producer, so i do all my mixing and mastering in my room.
what i want to improve all the accoustic.

what i have is:
4basstraps with 2m x 60cms x 18cms
2 panels with 135cms x 60cms x 6cms for the side walls, first reflection points.
2 panels for the back of the speakers with 135cms x 60cms x 6cms
1 panel with 135cms x 60cms x 12cms for the back of the room
2 panels with 135cms x 60cms x 12cms for the ceiling at mixing position
2 panels with 135cms x 60cms x 6cms for the corner between sidewall and ceiling, right on side of the panels at the mixing position.

that's the idea.
all the structures are done just need the insulation and then will close all of them with fabric.

my room as 3.80m x 2.80 x 2.80 (height)

i've open a thread a few weeks ago and with all the replies i draw the position for all the panels.

the only doubt was about the mixing position on ceiling. 6cms or 12cms.
12cms will be! heh
Old 14th February 2012
Gear Guru

Good

12cm plus gap if you can afford the space. The bigger plastic cable ties are great for hanging such traps.

I doubt that panels behind the speakers would be useful. I would add them to the sides for reflection control.

Try playing some sine waves in your room. Say 30Hz slowly upwards. You will meet strong resonance. Go to the back wall, corners, etc. find where this is loudest. Place your Bass Traps there.

DD
Old 15th February 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
12cm plus gap if you can afford the space. The bigger plastic cable ties are great for hanging such traps.

I doubt that panels behind the speakers would be useful. I would add them to the sides for reflection control.

Try playing some sine waves in your room. Say 30Hz slowly upwards. You will meet strong resonance. Go to the back wall, corners, etc. find where this is loudest. Place your Bass Traps there.

DD

the panels behind speakers will be more at the center back. between speakers, not really behind them.
should i move those 2panels and add it to the first reflection points? that way i'll have 3panels for each side wall.
better that way?

@ Hetch, don't need any kit, i did mine own kit heh
will test the freq soon, i hope.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search