The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roxul Safe n Sound 16'' for bass traps
Old 4th February 2012
Gear interested

Roxul Safe n Sound 16'' for bass traps

I need help,,,, I saw a guy on YouTube How to make Studio Sound Absortion (Under $100) HD - YouTube making a bass traps from this,

It comes in 12-Pack of 47"L x 15-1/4"W x 3"D for $46.00 at Lowe's, so i was thinking in building bass traps of 6"D putting 2 of the Rolls/Batts together, and some panels for early reflections from a single Pack of 47"L x 15-1/4"W x 3"D, or should I spend more and buy 2'' thick OC 703 fiberglass to build my bass traps,,,

Thank U in advance
Old 4th February 2012
Gear maniac

If you get 12 pieces 47"x15"x3" for only $46 then I'd say go for those. Other people here have used that stuff with good results.

Actually, it's only $39 for me at my local lowes, I think I'll order some right now.
Old 4th February 2012
The advantage of the 16" width Safe N Sound is that you can grab it in stock from Lowe's. However, I just want to mention that you can also order 24" width Safe N Sound from Lowe's online (virtually the same price), then pick it up in the store a few days later. The 24" width comes in 8 batts per pack instead of the 12 batts per pack at the 16" width. It all depends on how wide you want your panels to be. I went with 24". I've built three so far; photo here.
Old 5th February 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirreltrench View Post
The advantage of the 16" width Safe N Sound is that you can grab it in stock from Lowe's. However, I just want to mention that you can also order 24" width Safe N Sound from Lowe's online (virtually the same price), then pick it up in the store a few days later. The 24" width comes in 8 batts per pack instead of the 12 batts per pack at the 16" width. It all depends on how wide you want your panels to be. I went with 24". I've built three so far; photo here.
Thanks squirreltrench, I just bought it, I choose the 24" instead of the 16", now I have a question, Is 6" good enough for a bass trap made of this Roxul insulation?
Old 5th February 2012
Well, there is no definitive answer to 'good enough'. It all depends on how thick you are willing to make them. So if you can double them up and go 6", yes, that will be better than 1 batt thick at 3". Also, the knowledgeable folks around here say to create an air gap behind the trap. An airgap equal to the depth of the trap almost doubles the trap's effectiveness. So if you want to hit a homerun, create a 6" trap with 6" airgap. I built mine on top of the frame as in this video, unlike the video you linked to, where he builds it into the frame. There are two advantages to building it on top rather than in: 1.) you are automatically increasing the airgap behind it by the depth of the frame and 2.) you are blocking slightly less of insulation on the sides. The one downside to this method is that the trap looks more pillow-like rather than nicely squared off.

The three I've built are 3" deep (1 batt), and about two inches off the wall (the frame distance plus an additional 1" spacer.
Old 5th February 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Well, there is no definitive answer to 'good enough'. It all depends on how thick you are willing to make them. So if you can double them up and go 6", yes, that will be better than 1 batt thick at 3". Also, the knowledgeable folks around here say to create an air gap behind the trap. An airgap equal to the depth of the trap almost doubles the trap's effectiveness. So if you want to hit a homerun, create a 6" trap with 6" airgap. I built mine on top of the frame as in this video, unlike the video you linked to, where he builds it into the frame. There are two advantages to building it on top rather than in: 1.) you are automatically increasing the airgap behind it by the depth of the frame and 2.) you are blocking slightly less of insulation on the sides. The one downside to this method is that the trap looks more pillow-like rather than nicely squared off.

The three I've built are 3" deep (1 batt), and about two inches off the wall (the frame distance plus an additional 1" spacer.
I try to watch your video but there is something wrong with the format you uploaded, It says The URL contained a malformed video ID.
Old 5th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also, the knowledgeable folks around here say to create an air gap behind the trap. An airgap equal to the depth of the trap almost doubles the trap's effectiveness.
No, the knowledgeable say " it depends on the material's air flow resistivity" With SNS going solid up to three layers is best bang per volume and buck. 4 is iffy, five or more total layers thickness use 4 layers and and the rest airgap.

Andre
Old 5th February 2012
Gear interested

I also tried watching the video and it said same thing.
Old 5th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I got the 24" width Roxul from Lowes online and it's R30 which from what I gather, is better for low end absorbtion. At 7.25 inches thick it's got to be much better for bass trapping than the 3" stuff, no? By the way, it was $40 for a pack of 4 so I got 8 packs!
Old 5th February 2012
Gear interested

Can I use one layer to make a panel for early reflections?
Old 6th February 2012
Sorry about the link... GS bots must have decided that the YouTube linked looked like profanity and blocked it out with asterisks. To find it, go on YouTube and search for "How to make a Bass Trap Acoustic Panel (Tutorial)".

Or put this URL in your browser: www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyYU pkpL0gw

Just remove the space between the U and the p near the end of the above link.
Old 6th February 2012
Lives for gear

I don't know why I didn't think of that idea Thanks.
Old 6th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by culionfilo View Post
Can I use one layer to make a panel for early reflections?
Yes. Just based on what I'm hearing in the room with the panels I've made so far, these type of traps are excellent for killing early reflections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
No, the knowledgeable say " it depends on the material's air flow resistivity" With SNS going solid up to three layers is best bang per volume and buck. 4 is iffy, five or more total layers thickness use 4 layers and and the rest airgap.
Thanks for clarifying!

Well, I know that in other topics here, some folks have said that an air gap behind the trap increases the effectiveness at low frequencies. I guess that's relevant for denser material such as the Roxul R30 or the oft-discussed OC 703 or 705? Perhaps Andre can set us straight on exactly for which materials the air gap makes a difference.
Old 6th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, I know that in other topics here, some folks have said that an air gap behind the trap increases the effectiveness at low frequencies. I guess that's relevant for denser material such as the Roxul R30 or the oft-discussed OC 703 or 705? Perhaps Andre can set us straight on exactly for which materials the air gap makes a difference.
Using a gap is part of an absorber. The usefullnes is dependent on the air flow resistance of the absorber. For absorbers up to ~4" thick, solid 703 like material is best. Above 4" to ~10" solid SNS like material is the cheapest. At today's prices in Hamilton, solid SNS (3 layers) is 60% the cost of solid 703. Above ~10" solid R30 is the cheapest.

Andre
Old 25th June 2013
Gear interested

What's the difference between Roxul's "Safe N Sound" and "Comfort Batts"

The specs state that Safe N Sound deaden the sound but has no R rating while Comfort Batts don't deaden the sound but has three different R ratings, R30, R23, R15. I am totally confused. I intend to line parts of my backwall with some R30 Comfort Batts to trap bass, am I making the right choice?
Old 26th June 2013
Lives for gear

Jheyau,

The important factors are depth and Gas Flow Resistance. Comfort Batt is 3 1/2" vs 3" for SNS. SNS has a higher gas flow resistance which can be found in a list somewhere around here. I don't know it off hand.
Old 26th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jheyau View Post
The specs state that Safe N Sound deaden the sound but has no R rating while Comfort Batts don't deaden the sound but has three different R ratings, R30, R23, R15. I am totally confused. I intend to line parts of my backwall with some R30 Comfort Batts to trap bass, am I making the right choice?
R rating relates to hest insulation, not sound absorption.

How deep are you making the insulation layer? Comfort Batts are 32 kg/m³, which too light for less than ~300mm deep absorbers. Safe N Sound is 40 kg/m³, which is just about optimum for 200-300mm deep absorbers. If you are going thinner, 48 kg/m³ fiberglas type or 64 kg/m³ mineral wool is best.

Andre
Old 26th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John White View Post
SNS has a higher gas flow resistance which can be found in a list somewhere around here. I don't know it off hand.
SNS is approximately 10,000 rayls.

Andre
Old 26th June 2013
Gear interested

Thank you for your replies, gentlemen. I am just a layman who is trying to make my hi-fi listening environment (family room) sound better. I already have some DIY bass traps made with OC 4" 703 panels for the front corners and side walls-- 8 ft floor-to-ceiling panels straddle each front corner and they are each flanked by two panels with 4" air gap. There is a large opening in the back of the room leading to the kitchen; the back corners are lined with large tall CD shelves; the space above them and the two back corners were not treated. I am now trying to put some Roxul panels on top of these shelves and there isn't much room to work with; the 15.25" width of either the SNS or Comfort Batts would nearly fill the space. I gathered SNS is the right choice rather than the Comfort Batts for my purpose, doubling two panels of the 3" thick SNS would cover the the width of the shelf tops and putting two such bundled sheets at right angle to each other would create a pretty good "corner trap". Eagerly waiting for further advice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search