The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help with home studio project
Old 2nd February 2012
Gear interested

Help with home studio project

Hey guys, i'm totally new to the forums and mixing music in general. I'm having a bit of a hard time setting up my little home studio. I make electronic music and am mixing on a set of yamaha hs80ms. I initially had a dedicated room for mixing but due to reasons I have to make my bedroom a studio as well. I'll upload some pics from different angles and would really appreciate some help. When I first started I bought a large acoustic foam which I have since cut up into smaller pieces and put up around the room. I have yet to buy any diffusers or bass traps. Since the bunk bed takes up a pretty big portion of the room, it leaves the desk at the left corner. I've read this is bad because bass tends to build up in corners. I ran out of foam but I plan on putting some behind the monitors. I'd really appreciate any suggestions or comments on the room layout and placement of bass traps and diffusers. Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Help with home studio project-photo-3-.jpg   Help with home studio project-photo.jpg   Help with home studio project-photo-1-.jpg   Help with home studio project-photo-2-.jpg  
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Old 2nd February 2012
Gear Guru

Old 2nd February 2012
Gear maniac

Yeah, read all that stuff ^^^!!!

One other thing... my new favorite word is symmetry. Fixing the symmetry in my own space solved lots and lots of problems I had even before I did any acoustic treatment or other stuff. Try to make your space as symmetrical as possible to start. For example, if possible, put your mix/production setup on the opposite wall from your bed(s) so that the bed(s) aren't acting as absorbers/traps on one side or the other and creating a severe frequency response imbalance between each monitor. Start there and the rest will be easier to deal with.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search