The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
help needed with acoustic treatment
Old 2nd May 2006
Lives for gear

help needed with acoustic treatment

Hi,

I'm renting a room for the recording of a record, and it has no acoustic treatment whatsoever.
The room has only a thick carpet and a few pieces of furniture.
The acoustic is rather bright and "ringy", there's a resonance when you clap your hands, and probably some standing waves as well.

What is the best value short time treatment?
I'm thinking of building panels filled with rock wool and covered with fabric, will that be enough? The room is both control and live room..

Can anyone advice?

Thx
Old 2nd May 2006
Gear Guru

I think you are on the right track!
Make sure the bass traps are 4" thick and straddling corners of the room. More is betterheh . For reflections in the room 2" panels would work fine. check out http://www.gikacoustics.com/faq.htm

Glenn
Old 2nd May 2006
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Djanogil,

> What is the best value short time treatment? <

The best value in bass trapping is fiberglass insulation, left in their plastic bags, stacked up from floor to ceiling in each corner. If you wrap bales in thick heavy moving blankets they'll absorb mids and highs as well as bass. It looks like hell, but it works okay and is very cheap.

--Ethan
Old 2nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer
Djanogil,

> What is the best value short time treatment? <

The best value in bass trapping is fiberglass insulation, left in their plastic bags, stacked up from floor to ceiling in each corner. If you wrap bales in thick heavy moving blankets they'll absorb mids and highs as well as bass. It looks like hell, but it works okay and is very cheap.

--Ethan
Hi Ethan,

The fiberglass as I know it here in France is the one that comes either in rolls or panels and usually used for house insulation, is it the one you're talking about?

Also, if that treatment turns out to be not so short term and I want to build something more serious, can I build frames with that same fiberglass?
I believe the idea is to break all the angles in the room corners?
Old 2nd May 2006
Lives for gear

that's the stuff.
Old 2nd May 2006
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

> The fiberglass as I know it here in France is the one that comes either in rolls or panels <

Yeah, I meant the rolls that are packed tightly into plastic bags.

> can I build frames with that same fiberglass? <

For permanent traps you'll do better with rigid fiberglass. See my Acoustics FAQ, which explains all of this in detail:

www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search