The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question about new line of Acoustic Products
Old 10th April 2006

Question about new line of Acoustic Products

Hello fellow slutz,

I come to you because I am in the process of developing a new line of products for my company and I would like your opinions. I work as a Studio Designer/Acoustician, and I'm offering both services (various studies, engineering etc) and products (different models of panels etc.)

The company's approach is of the "no compromise" type: serious studies and custom-made panels, fully tuned and designed for the client's facilty.(i.e high-end stuff). For projects with a more limited budget, I work out DIY solutions so that the client can build his facility himself in time, in which case I will only provide plans and a description of "how to do it".

But I recently got more and more requests from project/middle sized studios for "kits" or cheaper already made / standardised panels... But yet serious (no foamy crap!) and good looking.

So I have been working on designing "Ikea-type" wood based kits covering all the usual suspects: Diffusors, diffractors, resonators, etc. in various sizes (typically 3).

But since I don't like to compromise on quality, I have also planned to make them tunable (when needed)... So the client could access a special page on the website and by inserting for a specified model for ex. the desired reso freq of a resonator he would get the proper solution/directions and tune the panel himself while mounting it.

What do you think?

Here is a 3D rendering of what a "basic" diffusor in kit would look like (Pine wood, 1200/1200/350mm), and some pics of the woodcrafters at work... building a couple of pre-series models!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Question about new line of Acoustic Products-acbp-studios-acoustics-gs.jpg  
Old 10th April 2006
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Anderson,

> I recently got more and more requests from project/middle sized studios for "kits" or cheaper already made / standardised panels... But yet serious (no foamy crap!) and good looking. <

See the link below under my name. No foamy crap and they're good looking and affordable. heh And also used by many famous recording engineers and producers.

> What do you think? <

I think the world absolutely needs an affordable but high-quality diffusor. Maybe we should work together. If you're interested you can email me through my company's web site.

--Ethan
Old 10th April 2006
Gear Addict

I think this is a very good idea.
I do not know a company that does such stuff.
The tweaking possibility is great!
Old 10th April 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer
I think the world absolutely needs an affordable but high-quality diffusor. Maybe we should work together. If you're interested you can email me through my company's web site.

--Ethan
Hi Ethan,

Yes, I have studied your products, they are indeed very nice!

Working together could definitely be very interesting... Il'll send you a mail ASAP!

/Thomas

http://www.acbp-studios.com
Old 10th April 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson
Hi Ethan,

Yes, I have studied your products, they are indeed very nice!

Working together could definitely be very interesting... Il'll send you a mail ASAP!

/Thomas

http://www.acbp-studios.com
This seems very promising...!..
Old 11th April 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson
Hello fellow slutz,

But since I don't like to compromise on quality, I have also planned to make them tunable (when needed)... So the client could access a special page on the website and by inserting for a specified model for ex. the desired reso freq of a resonator he would get the proper solution/directions and tune the panel himself while mounting it.

What do you think?
I think the idea of being able to tune them for individual applications would be fantastic. This seems to be a potentially interesting new area for slutty experimentation... tweaking your diffusors post-installation. Me likey.

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Please do something other than black or white melamine. I'd really like a deep oak or some other wood-like organic look, even if you use Ikea-style melamine instead of veneer (save the $$$). Just my $.02.
Old 11th April 2006
Gear Maniac

I'd Like to see some Bass traps that are mounted on plastic stands and you can just put them in the corners like they are really tall bookshelves or something.

make them out of the cheapest materials to get the job done and sell a set of 4 for $100.

That would save most peoples ass along with whatever diffusor you have planned.
Old 11th April 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconerHK
I think the idea of being able to tune them for individual applications would be fantastic. This seems to be a potentially interesting new area for slutty experimentation... tweaking your diffusors post-installation. Me likey.

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Please do something other than black or white melamine. I'd really like a deep oak or some other wood-like organic look, even if you use Ikea-style melamine instead of veneer (save the $$$). Just my $.02.
Thanks! All the melamine we chose are of the "wood" looking type, like Birch, oak etc... Not too fond of the b/w option either! All the resonators, diffusors, absorber/diffusors etc, will come in -I hope- more than 3 choices of "wood finish".

When it comes to slutty experimentations, in time I'll make sure some slutz get some pre-series for estensive testing and tweaking... and opinions!

Cheers!
Old 13th April 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo unit
I'd Like to see some Bass traps that are mounted on plastic stands and you can just put them in the corners like they are really tall bookshelves or something.

make them out of the cheapest materials to get the job done and sell a set of 4 for $100.

That would save most peoples ass along with whatever diffusor you have planned.

I've been meaning to post for a while. I recently added on two new recording rooms, and a bathroom to my studio (complete chaos, but more or less done in three weeks believe it or not!!)

We used some pretty new products for both isolation and treatment that people might be interested in (and btw - I am not financially involved with any of these products in the least, other than knowing a couple of the guys involved with this first thing)

First off - some friends of mine are making something very similar to what you are describing and I've been using a few of the prototypes. They are different sized traps that mount with a clip onto a mic stand!

They sound great - I've been using a pair around the drum kit (near the OH), and it helps a lot with annoying hi-hat/cymbal action.

I've also generally using one behind a vocal mic to help with bleed from a guitar amp (when singing/playing at the same time) and some of these scratch vocals have ended up as keepers!

They are calling them ModTraps and I believe they will have their first production run in the next few weeks.

http://www.modtrap.com/

For isolation we used two things I hadn't run into before. One called Green Glue - which is some space age goop that you sandwich between sheetrock layers, and it has an amazing STC rating. Kinda smelly and not cheap, but it sure seems to work...
http://www.audioalloy.com/

and the other thing was called a sound clip. I'd used z-channel/resilient channel before, but this is a seperate rubber clip and then you hand the hat channel on the clips. Also not cheap and kind of a pain, but again seems to perform really well.
http://soundproofing.org/options_in_sound_isolation.htm

Anyway, hopefully this is helpful for somebody. It had been quite a few years since building my first rooms, and this new stuff kinda put my old ones to shame...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search