The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hollow walls, Glass cloth and 80kgm3 Rockwool
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict

Hollow walls, Glass cloth and 80kgm3 Rockwool

I'm looking at doing some bass trapping in my small room.
As this is also my living room my options are pretty much limited.

The room is roughly 2.3m x 3.5m x 2.5m and there is only one real wall.

One of the shorter walls has glass sliding doors which go out to my veranda and the opposite wall has the door to the kitchen and a two (sliding) door wide built in closet space filled with clothes. One of the longer walls has two removable sliding doors and adjoins to the bedroom which is the same, glass doors, closet space etc.

I generally have the doors between the two rooms removed to give more sense of space, I can open the door to the kitchen and open or remove the doors to the closet space, and the walls themselves are quite hollow.

I'm hoping that these hollow walls will work in my favour and I intend to put some 50mm (2") rockwool or glassfibre panels against the side walls next to the room corners, something on the one longer wall and the ceiling.

Looking at my options for materials I can get 32kgm or 40kgm glasswool, or 80kgm rockwool all with or without glasscloth covering.

I'm tempted by the heavier rockwool especially as I can't space the panels from the walls.

Am I likely to get any real benefit from this or am I wasting my time (and money)?
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Addict

Would some floor plans or waterfall charts help?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search