The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help with panels/traps Mixers (Digital)
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Head
Help with panels/traps

Hi All-

I am hoping I can get some help with my traps/panels in the studio. A little background on the studio size/specs:

14' Wide x 18' long x 7'6" high. All walls are drywall with a laminate floor.

My current panel and trap setup is as follows: Above the drums is a 4x4 cloud, 2" thick, above the mix position is a 4x2 cloud, 2" thick. Through out the walls I have 4x2 2" panels every 2 feet with a panel, than 2 feet of the bare wall, than another panel on the long wall. The corners have regular R-13 stacked from floor to ceiling, as at the time, it was the option I could afford.

My question is this, if you were using the attached image as a diagram, what you suggest to do to make it as acoustically pleasing as possible? I recording drums in here as well as other instruments/bands, but drums is the primary thing I do in here. Would a combination of absorption and diffusion work? I am already set that I need to make my cloud 6x4 above the drums and probably 4" thick. Also, on the image below, the angle that shoots out is the door to get in, the Circle is the current drum position and the rectangle is the current mix position.

If you need further information to help, I will answer. I have searched and read many pieces of information, which has helped greatly in getting me to where I am now. Next steps is what I am looking for. Also, I am open to a reconfiguring of the room and a complete redo from a panel setup. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Help with panels/traps-fss.jpg  

Last edited by templejazz82; 21st September 2011 at 12:24 AM..
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Guru

How does the room sound now? Sure using diffusion and absorption is never a bad thing, but also you may want to move the drums out of that corner. What you do not want is a bunch of comb filtering coming back into the mics due to near side walls.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Head
Thanks for the response, Glenn! I guess what I am really looking for is an expert opinion on where to put the drums and how to properly "tune" the room. I realize it is difficult to do online, but I am wondering if people/companies do these things for smaller home studios? My main goal right now is tracking, not mixing, so moving the drums is certainly an option.

The room sounds ok right now, but I feel like it sounds like a small home studio (which it is), but I am wondering what type of work I can do to make it sound bigger, sound better (who isn't?).
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Guru

The only way to figure it out is to try different places and see how it sounds. Like I said though I would try to avoid mics close to sidewalls and ceiling. Honestly that is part of engineering, trial and error but knowing the problems you might have before hand.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Addict

+1 to everything Glenn said.

Polys ,qrd`s, broadband absorbers and slatted broadband absorbers are all good options for acoustic treatment.

Polys can be free standing,or mounted on the wall, you can angle them abit compared to the drumset, in order to lower the level of the reflections(this is a good idea if they are close to the drums).

Different width of the polys is a plus, if they are standing on the floor you can add some variation to the timing of the reflections by varying the distance to the overhead mic.

If you decide to build polys I suggest you get as thin plywood as possible, cut it with a circular saw following a guide, mount it onto a backing.

Good material for plywood is maple or birch.

there are many good tips for qrd building on the forum.

Carpet under the drums can be a good idea, as thick as possible.

It is positive with a modular approach.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Head
Thanks for the great replies both of you. My plan is going to be first to clear all the panels out of the studio, and walk around with the snare drum and bass drum to find the best placement for the kit. From there, I am going to add a 6'x4' cloud that is 4" thick. Or, should I add diffusion above it. Regardless, where the drums go, I will add 4 or 6" traps behind the kit and some type of diffuser in front of there. Glenn- I know GIK sells their products, but do you guys (or you) provide any type of online acoustical consultation. I am not looking to do much mixing in here, mainly drum tracking will be done here.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Head
Also, what exactly is a Poly and a slated absorber? I have only dealt with normal 2" BB absorbers and bass traps!
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by templejazz82 View Post
Thanks for the great replies both of you. My plan is going to be first to clear all the panels out of the studio, and walk around with the snare drum and bass drum to find the best placement for the kit. From there, I am going to add a 6'x4' cloud that is 4" thick. Or, should I add diffusion above it. Regardless, where the drums go, I will add 4 or 6" traps behind the kit and some type of diffuser in front of there. Glenn- I know GIK sells their products, but do you guys (or you) provide any type of online acoustical consultation. I am not looking to do much mixing in here, mainly drum tracking will be done here.
Oh yes we can hold your hand as much as you would like. The best way to contact us is through this page. It will give us all the info we need.
GIK Acoustics: Room Setup
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Head
Thanks Glenn! Just sent an email, although, I am not sure it sent, as it took some time to load the page after the send button was hit. I guess I will find out!
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by templejazz82 View Post
Thanks Glenn! Just sent an email, although, I am not sure it sent, as it took some time to load the page after the send button was hit. I guess I will find out!
Send me a email through my company website and I can check it out.
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Also, what exactly is a Poly and a slated absorber?
poly diffusors is a convex reflecting surface which spread sound and lower the level of the reflection compared to that of a flat wall, they can be placed side by side on wall (having different width debth) , or with spacing between them ,this is a good sollution if the polys have the same size, the width of the space between polys ought to be varied, the space with bare wall between diffusors can also be filled with absorption.

Randomness is positive when it comes to diffusion in order to break up the reflection pattern, avoiding rhytmic reflections.

Another use to have them freestanding around the drums with space between them.

One can also experiment with setting them up at an angle.

The polys should not be to wide, io taking a 4*8 and bending will probably not be as good a sollution as cutting it up and making several smaller diffusors.

In this room a good sollution is to use both absorption and diffusion

Slatted absorber is a broadband absorber with slatts in front, this will reflect and scatter abit of high mid/high frequensy sound, but is not the same as a
diffusor, it is a hybrid surface, both reflective and absorptive.

The checker pattern you had was probably good against flutter echo, but it will create a very dry sound.

The cloud is a god idea, and possibly a carpet covering some 2-3m2 if there is combfiltering problems from the floor, a felt underlay under the carpet is positive.

Last edited by hsal; 22nd September 2011 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: importance of randomness

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search