The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best solution for temporarily hanging foam Dynamics Plugins
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Best solution for temporarily hanging foam

Just curious as to what some people are doing to temporarily hang acoustical foam. I have my bass traps and my cloud in place but am looking for a way to mount the foam. In case I want to move it or switch it up I am looking for a non adhesive option.

**** EDIT ****

So I figured it out. Hands down the best method I have used to date. Pins work so so. Velcro adhesive rips apart dry wall. Glue.... Well... Not so temporary. Very simple. Will cost you maybe $10-20 tops if you plan on hanging a lot of foam. All you need is some Gorilla Glue, Tag board, and 3M Command Poster Strips (can be found at Target, store like that, or many places online). I hope some other people can use this for their apartments or temporary spaces!

What I did was cut the tag board into little 1 1/2" x 2" or so pieces and used the Gorilla Glue to glue them to the top corners of the back of the foam. Let it dry and put two strips on the tag board pieces and pressed firmly against the wall. They hold very well and come right off with no residue or damage!

Here are some pics of what I'm talking about. Sorry the picture quality isn't the best. Snapped some pics real quick with my phone....

Last edited by HKD126; 16th October 2011 at 02:53 AM.. Reason: Figured it out
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
I've used those removable 3m command adhesive hooks and they worked pretty well. I know you said no adhesive but I figured you meant perm adhesive. These come off the wall and leave no residue, we use them for all kinds of things now. To hang the foam I've used these and then strung fishing line through the foam and just hung them like a picture.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Guru
Temporary

Glue CD's to the back of the foam. Insert thumb tacks in the wall. Hang the CD's on the tacks.
DD
Old 19th September 2011
My solution was to use velcro with adhesive tape on it.
This kind of velcro usually sticks well to wooden surfaces but didnt stick well to the acoustic foam.
The solution was to sow the velcro to the foam No need to get all fancy about it. Just a couple of manly turns with the thread will do. Wont be visible anyway.
The foam will stick and its real easy to move. No need to glue anything.

If the velcro wont stick to the wooden surface, staple them in place!

Best of luck!
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Anyone try T-Pins?
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Try a search, I advised someone to try them about a month ago and he said it was working well for him. He posted a short description of how he was using them for the panels.
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
Glue CD's to the back of the foam. Insert thumb tacks in the wall. Hang the CD's on the tacks.
DD
I LOVE this idea! great one, thanks!
Old 16th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Bump for brilliant ideas.
Old 5th November 2011
Gear Nut

We don't have any foam at our current studio, but in the past I've glued the panels to rigid foam-core. I cut the rigid to just less than the size of the acoustic panel and glued them to the back, so that it can't be seen from the front when the panels are hung. Then I used thin finishing nails to attach to the drywall...just enough of them for the panels to hang securely.

The beauty is that you can push the head of the finishing nail just beneath the surface of the foam and it disappears. Another advantage was that if we needed to move them, we just pulled them off the wall, pulled the nails out, and quickly put them up in the new spot. This also kept the floppy acoustic foam from drooping or curling for a nice neat look.
Old 29th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Command strips are genius here! I was planning to do something similar before I just decided to build frames.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search