The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roxul Superchunk corner traps for front L&R: face materials? Breathability? Dynamics Plugins
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Roxul Superchunk corner traps for front L&R: face materials? Breathability?

I'm about to build a pair of superchunks for an interim studio space. It's the front Roxul L&R superchunks that are in question. At my other studio I wrapped the chunks in ultra thin clear plastic followed by white fleece and a nice stretchy cotton/spandex fabric. This time I'm wondering if I should skip the plastic wrap and perhaps use some posterboard paper as an alternate membrane (thinnest or thicker?) instead.. or just stick to wrapping it with fabric.

Since these are in the corners behind the speakers and their primary job is to treat the low end I'd assume this could be more effectively done by means other than bare roxul wrapped in fabric. Yes?

My first choice at this point would be to use this cool looking vinyl upholstry I found. It's thick enough to hold its form nicely, not shiny (matte) and I can just breathe through it, which might be a helpful density for making the traps more effective down to a lower freq I would think? the chunks will be the 24" x 16 x 16 size.

So to summarize.. options:

1. wrap the roxul with plastic again (I have heavy duty green garbage bags here which would have to suffice that role)
2. use posterboard paper on the fronts then fabric overtop
3. thick but slightly breathable matte vinyl material and nothing else

Thoughts?

Heh.. as a side note, I'm only here working til march so goals with these chunks included portability, weight & ease of construction. So I decided to try building them in stackable 2ft blocks framed in stiff cardboard on all sides but the front! The final facing material will be wrapped around the stacked sections and velcroed plus a flap at the top to pin to the wall and keep it secure. I figured this should make for the most lightweight design that can be broken down and transported when needed.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Guru
No Proof

To my knowledge there are no tests publicly available to show that foil plastic or paper has any LF benefit on SuperChunks. One GS tried various fronts some time ago, no measureable result, and we were helping him.
Foil has been shown to work on rigid panels, particularly straddling corners. Note it is essential that this foil is fully bonded to the panel, not just stretched over or pressed against it.
Such materials are bound to bounce back some HF into the room, albeit in a flat sheet kind of way. I reckon an array of slats in front of the fabric does this much better, sonically and visually.
DD
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Guru

I got you PM and Dan gave you the right answer. I would think they it would not hurt to use them on the fronts of SC.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for chiming in guys. I'm halfway through already.. Will have to post up some pics as this is an unorthodox design that hopefully should turn out well I think!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search