The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
For bass traps and acoustic panels on the front wall of a home theater room Bass Traps
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

For bass traps and acoustic panels on the front wall of a home theater room

I'm about to add bass traps and a few acoustic panels under the screen on the front wall of my home theater. There will be 2 superchunk traps in the front two corners, two acoustic panels mounted on the wall under the screen, and a bass trap mounted between the ceiling and the front wall above the screen.

I know the recommendation is to add some kind of reflective material (like Kraft paper) to the surface of bass traps at the back of a room... but I'm assuming that all of the traps/panels in the FRONT of my room should NOT have any reflective surfaces so that they can absorb as much of the reflections coming off of the back wall as possible.

Is this assumption correct? Or should I add Kraft paper to my front corner bass traps and the ceiling/wall bass trap?

THANKS!
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

Adding facing to the panels that are bass traps that are in the front of the room is fine. You just don't what to use it for panels in the early reflection area.
What Are Early Reflection Points. Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

So for bass traps, it's okay to have a reflective surface. But what about any wall-mounted acoustic panels around the screen? These are 4" thick wall panels. Should I allow those to absorb all they can? Ditch them and allow the wall to reflect sound freely? Or should I leave them and add some reflective surface to them?
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundoff View Post
So for bass traps, it's okay to have a reflective surface. But what about any wall-mounted acoustic panels around the screen? These are 4" thick wall panels. Should I allow those to absorb all they can? Ditch them and allow the wall to reflect sound freely? Or should I leave them and add some reflective surface to them?
if the broadband panels are for specular reflections, then you will want to make them thick (effective) enough to attenuate the reflection by your design requirements (eg., -15dB from original signal). what is the material you are making the 4" panels from? any panel placed for 'early reflections' you want to be fully absorptive - no reflective surface as that defeats the purpose.

for the bass traps, since it is porous broadband material, it will absorb LF as well as specular energy (which, if you have lots of LF bass trapping, could quickly soak too much energy out of the room to create a 'dead room') - this is a scenario where you would add a reflective surface to the corner traps to alleviate this issue, and reflect some energy back into the room (as long as that reflected energy from the corner traps does not produce early reflections at the listening position)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search