The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Quick material check for bass traps and broad band absorbers Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quick material check for bass traps and broad band absorbers

Hello all,

Intro (read if you like)
I’m about to, for the first time, properly treat a mix room. I’ll be renting a about 12 m2 (I know it’s a bit small) room, roughly 4,20m times 2,80m with quite a high ceiling (around 3m I think). The room will be mainly for mixing and overdubs, some vocal recordings as well.
I’ve tried to read as much as possible about suitable materials for absorbers and I think I have found good alternatives from what’s available to me locally (Berlin, Germany).

Query
I’m planning bass traps in all corners and I would use 100mm (4”) Rockwool Sonorock (6kPam/s2) for this. Or should I double them up and make them 200mm (8”)? I would like to frame them as they would be much easier to move/transport if I ever need to do that. I was also planning on adding a layer of paper on the front side to increase bass absorption and reflect some highs back in to the room.

For broad band absorbers (early reflection points and back wall) I thought about using 60mm (2,4”) Rockwool Termarock 50 (16kPam/s2). I thought I would add paper on these as well.

Are these good choices or would you change one or both? Is the paper worth it or even recommended?

Any comments are greatly appreciated!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search