The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question about a Diffusor specs... hoping Ethan might have some input Dynamics Plugins
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundoff View Post
I guess this might be a great benefit for me. Seeing as though my seating position is close to the back wall (within 4 feet)... and the general advice I've read is that a more powerful diffusor is not necessarily good for seating in close proximity to the diffusor.

So, rather than deadening the whole back wall... I will be adding in some deadening and some diffusion.

I kind of feel like this is a blind stab... but it seems like there is enough agreement here to go ahead and give it a try!
yes... this is a some balance between two opposite (non very functional) extremes ...
It will works...
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Right. My fault for net describing properly...

The binary diffuser I'm going to build will be housed within a 6 ft wide by 5 ft tall frame. The slats will run vertically... and the entire surface behind the slats will be either 2" thick 705 acoustic panels OR 4" 705 acoustic panels.

This entire unit will basically be free standing right against the center of my back wall... the back wall has 2 large windows that will impede my ability to mount the diffuser directly to the wall, hence the reason it will need to be free standing.

Does that make better sense?
Yes, I understand now... and it is ok.. this will works.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

I really appreciate all of your input. Fingers crossed!!

I think the hardest part will be taking the time to make this look good...

Now if I can just find some spare time!
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Head

Boggy -

Question for you about the slats. I'm trying to keep the overall weight of this thing I'm building to a minimum. Do you think that wood lattice that is about 1 3/4 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick (which is roughly 4.4 cm wide and .6 cm thick) is to little? There are other pieces of wood available that are thicker and wider, but the weight factor is probably triple.

Thoughts?
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Boggy -

Question for you about the slats. I'm trying to keep the overall weight of this thing I'm building to a minimum. Do you think that wood lattice that is about 1 3/4 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick (which is roughly 4.4 cm wide and .6 cm thick) is to little? There are other pieces of wood available that are thicker and wider, but the weight factor is probably triple.

Thoughts?
I use wooden slats 5cm x 1cm now, in current project...
4.4cm x 0.6cm is also good.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Head

I'm trying to hit a sweet spot between "ideal size" and "ideal weight".

Since I'm putting a lot of time and effort into this... do you think I should go to bigger slats? Or do you think it really doesn't matter?
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm trying to hit a sweet spot between "ideal size" and "ideal weight".

Since I'm putting a lot of time and effort into this... do you think I should go to bigger slats? Or do you think it really doesn't matter?
I don't think that you need a bigger slats.
I use anything between 2cm and 8cm (width), and anything from 0.5cm to 2cm (thickness). My criterion is always a price and aesthetic look.

If I need something much serious, much complicated and much better than binary, I will go for design based on Schroeder principle...
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks, Boggy.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggy View Post
If I need something much serious, much complicated and much better than binary, I will go for design based on Schroeder principle...
Would you give an example of that.
Thanks
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John White View Post
Would you give an example of that.
Thanks
If you interested for some approach which have air circulation enabled, it is described in our white paper about MyRoom Design..
or AES paper: Davidovic Z., Petrovic B.: Acoustical Design of Control Room for Stereo and Multichannel Production and Reproduction - A Novel Approach, 129th AES Convention 2010, San Francisco, CA, USA
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search