The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tuning my room!
Old 13th September 2011
Cool Tuning my room!

Hi there,
time has come to tune my room
The FuzzMeasure 2 is my software, RME FF400 soundcard and Adam P33A monitors + Adam Sub10MK2.

Here is the first measurement results....

Left Channel:

Right Channel:

Left and Right Channels:

Left Channel Waterfall:

Right Channel Waterfall:

So looks like 80Hz and 400Hz is most problematic area in my room.
Would love to hear your opinion on fixing that please!
Thanx in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Tuning my room!-dsc00650-sm.jpg  
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Guru

Move the mic up and down. If the dips change then it is coming from the ceiling/floor.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Why is the mic so high, is that where you recorded the response ?

edit -I think its the angle of the photo is making it look high !

Have you tried different speaker placements?

Last edited by clivek; 13th September 2011 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: edit
Old 13th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
Move the mic up and down. If the dips change then it is coming from the ceiling/floor.
Gonna do it tomorrow morning first thing, whole ceiling is treated with 30cm of rockwool, so there should be no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivek View Post
Why is the mic so high, is that where you recorded the response ?

edit -I think its the angle of the photo is making it look high !

Have you tried different speaker placements?
Right, is the angle of the pic...mic is positioned exactly on the level of the tweeters. Yes i tried several monitor positions and at this place is the best results so far.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_X View Post
Gonna do it tomorrow morning first thing, whole ceiling is treated with 30cm of rockwool, so there should be no problem.

Right, is the angle of the pic...mic is positioned exactly on the level of the tweeters. Yes i tried several monitor positions and at this place is the best results so far.
Then the floor.. From the picture it looks like you have everything covered so either you don't have it thick enough or it is coming off the floor. Nothing is left is there?heh
Old 13th September 2011
Quote:
Then the floor.. From the picture it looks like you have everything covered so either you don't have it thick enough or it is coming off the floor. Nothing is left is there?heh
Walls covered by 10cm and yesssss the whole room is done! Me in love with Mr. Rockwool ..well except back wall where is diffuser placed and entrance door is still untouched, which is actually giving a little spikes as seen on the right channel ttf.
Attached Thumbnails
Tuning my room!-dsc00644-sm.jpg  
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Once all your gear is in there the room response will be different wont it?? Glenn ?

Nice size room what the dimensions ? Good luck

Any airgap behind the rockwool ??
Old 13th September 2011
Quote:
Once all your gear is in there the room response will be different wont it?? Glenn ?

Sure thing with all the gear and desk, room response would change, but i think at this stage is also important to get it as much smooth as i can, so it would be easier to get things right after....hope me on the right way.

Room dimensions:

No gap behind rockwool, maybe i should try at least at the reflection points
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:

Yes it will change but if you get it right now you know what to correct.

Quote:
Walls covered by 10cm and yesssss the whole room is done! Me in love with Mr. Rockwool ..well except back wall where is diffuser placed and entrance door is still untouched, which is actually giving a little spikes as seen on the right channel ttf.
I was kind of wondering why my Rockwool stock went up!!heh
So how does the room sound now? I am guessing tight?
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Sonic X,

First there is something truly not correct with your CSD graph. I can't offer any help on what is wrong exactly but as your freq response looks properly captured...it's likely a windowing/internal setting issue. It would be most helpful to see the LF decay from 30Hz to 250Hz.

In commenting on your response graphs, the 80Hz null could VERY simply be your sub integration. Please take a L & R only without the sub and see if the null is still apparent. That would tell more accurately if this is an issue.

If your Freq Res graphs are 1/24th resolution...you are very close or there (with likely sub integration tweaks) in terms of this stage of measuring.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru

(myself Jeff) I did not even see the sub.
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:

I was kind of wondering why my Rockwool stock went up!!heh
So how does the room sound now? I am guessing tight?
heheh yes i got whole track loaded with Rockwool....and yeahh it's soundz very much tight, just like a virgins goody heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Hedback View Post
Sonic X,

First there is something truly not correct with your CSD graph. I can't offer any help on what is wrong exactly but as your freq response looks properly captured...it's likely a windowing/internal setting issue. It would be most helpful to see the LF decay from 30Hz to 250Hz.
What do you mean with "windowing/internal setting issue". Could you be more specific please?

Here is 30Hz to 250Hz graphs:

Left Channel:

Right Channel:

Quote:

In commenting on your response graphs, the 80Hz null could VERY simply be your sub integration. Please take a L & R only without the sub and see if the null is still apparent. That would tell more accurately if this is an issue.
Here is graph Sub vs No Sub, i take only left channel as it's obvious that this not an issue.

Green = Sub
Purple = No Sub

Quote:

If your Freq Res graphs are 1/24th resolution...you are very close or there (with likely sub integration tweaks) in terms of this stage of measuring.
The good news is that all the graphs is on NO SMOOTHING mode. heh

Appreciate your input very much Jeffrey, please keep coming!
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru

Did you try moving the mic?
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
eh yes i got whole track loaded with Rockwool....and yeahh it's soundz very much tight, just like a virgins goody
I just spit up my coffee from laughing.
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:
Did you try moving the mic?
Sure thing, all over the room..now it's the best position so far..
Quote:
I just spit up my coffee from laughing.
Hope you not spoil your closes mate ...but great that someone had lough on my jokes heh
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

How you getting on !!?

I'm interested because hopefully one day i'll get a bigger room !!

Can post up some pic's when your done ! cheers
Old 2nd October 2011
Gear Guru
Waterfall

The duration of the Waterfall is 3
milliseconds!

Type in say 500mS. You may also have to adjust the min magnitude to get the modes to tail nicely into the noise floor as they decay.

Your measuring level looks a bit low. I like to see the peaks get somewhere closer to 0dBFS, just like in recording.

You may find this curve sonically bright. Such highly treated rooms exhibit extraordinary clarity due to the lack of HF destructive reflections.
I often try to achieve the old B and K curve, also seen at Understanding RTA at www.studiotips.com

DD
Old 21st October 2011
testing moving testing moving it's already a while sine i do that
now i got desk inside and 2nd sub!!!
going very close to what i want it to be, here is the graph...not sure why very highs goes crazy...emmmm buger
Attached Thumbnails
Tuning my room!-00.jpg  
Old 24th October 2011
Gear Guru

Looking good!!
Old 28th October 2011
Quote:
Looking good!!
Thanx Glen
Only thing is i don't understand is why da hell from 9k to 20k it's raising up so badly
..here is screens of RAW's graph and actual RAW's tone captched with spectrum analyzer, as we see is that it's nicely rolls off to 20k...hmmm where do i go wrong
Attached Thumbnails
Tuning my room!-9khz.jpg  
Old 28th October 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanx Glen
Only thing is i don't understand is why da hell from 9k to 20k it's raising up so badly
..here is screens of RAW's graph and actual RAW's tone captched with spectrum analyzer, as we see is that it's nicely rolls off to 20k...hmmm where do i go wrong
Maybe it is a German thing!
Old 29th October 2011
Quote:
Maybe it is a German thing!
yeah right
..honestly any idea how to prevent that please
Old 29th October 2011
Gear Guru
Flaw

You will have to trouble shoot. Try a different mic. If the issue is still there, it's not the mic, and so on.
DD
Old 29th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
yeah right
..honestly any idea how to prevent that please
REW has some bugs, as has Java.
try different sweeplength, try closening and reloading REW, try other things....
Old 29th October 2011
Gear Guru
Bugs

Sonic, capoeira is correct. Apple currently don't do Java fully and correctly. In particular, this causes trouble with REW and multichannel interfaces.
Your earlier measurements appear to be FuzzMeasure and seem fine. The problem one appears to be REW.
I would go back to FM. You could export your REW measures, import to FM, see if the issue remains.
What microphone(s) did you use?
DD
Old 29th October 2011
capoeira and DanDan thank you for the help!

yes first measurements were taking by FM on Mac, then i installed RAW on Mac i had really strange bugs with spl levels, so i used PC for the RAW not the Mac anymore...weird!

..anyways tomorrow i will take FM measurements again and see what happens, didn't know that i can export RAW's measures to FM..something to try tomorrow as well (thanx DanDan)!

Mic i use is Behringer ecm8000

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search