The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stuffing R13 in corners? How to cover it?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

Stuffing R13 in corners? How to cover it?

I thought I'd ask this in this section as it seems more appropriate. If I stuff R13 in corners, how should I cover it? Should I build frames out of 2x4s or something else?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendiferous View Post
I thought I'd ask this in this section as it seems more appropriate. If I stuff R13 in corners, how should I cover it? Should I build frames out of 2x4s or something else?
if you are making superchunk (SSC) style corner traps, then as you stack the pieces of loose pink fluffy, you will need to build supports such that as you continue to stack the insulation it does not sag and compress at the bottom due to gravity.

many have used chicken wire to wrap the insulation, and ive seen others procuring those very large industrial-style plastic bags, and loosely filling/stacking the insulation in those - and then stacking those bags on top of each other in the corner (so the insulation is contained within the plastic bags, and you would not need fabric). if you have the aesthetics requirement, you could then build a small frame for the outer face and attach fabric.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by localhost127 View Post
if you have the aesthetics requirement, you could then build a small frame for the outer face and attach fabric.
That's what I'm hazy about. Build a small frame out of? I have a ton of 2x4s but I think it may be hard to use them in corners.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendiferous View Post
That's what I'm hazy about. Build a small frame out of? I have a ton of 2x4s but I think it may be hard to use them in corners.
the first design constraint is generally real estate. how much room do you have in the corners?

2x4's may be a bit overkill for a frame...could you build an outer frame for corner triangle (pink fluffy) superchunks, and then cross braces every few feet leading up to the ceiling? having these shelves/cross-braces every few feet will relieve the insulation from being compressed by the weight of the layers on top. you could then staple fabric to the wood frame to restrict the insulation from becoming airborne, or install a fabric outer frame with velcro so you can quickly remove it if needed (vs stapling it to the frame).
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

You could hang them from the ceiling like clothes in a closet, prevents from compressing and settling.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search