The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bass traps in a small studio Utility Software
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

Bass traps in a small studio

Hi everyone

I have managed to convince my wife to give up a small room in the house so as I can set up a studio.
I have been reading MANY articles on acoustic treatment and as such have come accross some conflicting views.
My room is very small, 13ft x 9ft and 9ft high. I have positioned myself bang in the centre of the longest wall. After reading one of Ethan's informative articles I found that a common problem with a small room is the risk of ringing from the side walls and one option is to make them dead, this I have done by applying foam to both walls.
I am now about to build some bass traps from a good UK equivalent to Owens Corning...."rockwool r3"
I intend to build 4x corner traps measuring 2ft x 3ft and 100mm thick and two more for longer traps at 5ft x 2ft and 100mm thick to go into the wall and ceiling of the wall I face and the same behind me.
My main question is that I have read on here that bass traps work best when fixed onto as much wall as possible..ie when cut to a triangle shape and fixed to both wall and ceiling. However in Ethan's article he states that leaving breathing space behind traps is essential. What is the truth here? Is it different between foam and rockwool....my head hurts, I just want to make music but I seem to have spent the last month confusing myself.
Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

I wouldnt say that room was very small. Bigger than a lot of studio drum booth's. Good luck!
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
My room is very small, 13ft x 9ft and 9ft high. I have positioned myself bang in the centre of the longest wall. After reading one of Ethan's informative articles I found that a common problem with a small room is the risk of ringing from the side walls and one option is to make them dead, this I have done by applying foam to both walls.
Actually you want to face the 9ft wall and do not sit in the dead center of the room. Start with having your setting around 5 feet. Move forward and back to find the best response.

Quote:
My main question is that I have read on here that bass traps work best when fixed onto as much wall as possible..ie when cut to a triangle shape and fixed to both wall and ceiling. However in Ethan's article he states that leaving breathing space behind traps is essential. What is the truth here? Is it different between foam and rockwool....my head hurts, I just want to make music but I seem to have spent the last month confusing myself.
What Ethan is talking about is when you have the panel flat to the wall, which you do want to have a air gap. In corners you want to either straddle a panel, cut the triangle design or better yet do a soffit design. See the following layout for some ideas on set up.
GIK Acoustics: Room Setup
FYI because of your room size and shape I would think you will end up doubling if not tripling the amount of traps. Don't let that stop you from getting started with your plan, but just pointing it out.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

Thank you for your response.
I'm aware that I will require more traps but just want to get started :-)
I was wondering would my triangles be ok? I would hang them on hooks allowing a good air space behind and in all four corners.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

I a bit smaller room than that and I went the home-made "superchunks" route.
It definately helped as measured by Fuzzmeasure. Now I do know I woudl have been s bit better off using the 4" very large traps I originally builty for this purpose, but in the end - they were just too big and consumed too much real estate. A compromise.
cdlt
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Head

Well I built my triangle traps this weekend and have hung them in all four corners...they work great. I was unable to take the advice of Glenn and position myself along the shorter wall but the room sounds cool, need to build the rectangular ones now, though am also thinking that I am going to need more.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search