The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ceiling ideas
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ceiling ideas

Situation is, I have a 26x16 irregular shaped live room with 11.5 foot ceilings.
It sounds very very bright and the sustain is tremendous. It has its qualities, and really sound HUGE.... love it for drums so far.

Though it really is TOO much for most stuff. We've been managing with a bunch of large Bass traps, but There really is an issue to deal with the ceiling reflections.

We want to diffuse the ceiling and maybe create 1 dead spot in the room for vocal tracking.....

Here is the issue.... Its a big one. The landlord/owner.... Wants not 1 single screw to penetrate the ceiling NOTHING.... not allowed. forget it... NOT HAPPENING...

They have been soft to the idea of glue, or adhesives...... but NO HOLES on the ceiling.

I have no idea where to start. I don't think foam is the answer, we also want to respect a certain light colour on the ceiling so it doesn;t feel claostraphobic in there......

Ideas?

I was thinking maybe glueing that retro type faux copper pressed ceiling tile into the ceiling and painting it.... hopefully getting some diffusion from it...

Creative minds in here?

thanks
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
I was thinking maybe glueing that retro type faux copper pressed ceiling tile into the ceiling and painting it.... hopefully getting some diffusion from it...
That is not going to diffuse.

Quote:
Creative minds in here?
Sounds like to me you are going to have to go with foam. If you do go for 4" thick and don't buy from a company that does not have testing. There are a lot of misleading foam companies out there. Foam by mail would be one of them.
As far as diffusion, you can use double sides type for ones that are made out of EPS. Something like this.

Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Good Glen!
Thanks.

I saw a thread yesterday. They used 24x24 piece of foam 4 inches thick. And to that they glued strips of 1 inch thick finished hardwood. 3 inch wide, 2 inch apart.

Each panel should be light enough to glue easily.... SOunds like an interesting idea too me....

will continue to explore....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search