The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BBC A10 bass trap
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

BBC A10 bass trap

Hey All,

The AVSForum guys said that quite a few people have built the BBC A10 bass traps. I searched quite a bit on this sub-forum but couldn't find a lot of detailed info or build threads.

I have a massive 60-65 hz bass null at the seating position in my room (which makes sense given the 18.5' room length).

There isn't a lack of bass in general, and if I move the spl meter forward or backward 4' from the seating position, I gain 15db at 63hz

Since the bass spl is very high on the back wall (+15-20db), i'd think a pressure based membrane absorber would be ideal.

To add a bit more info: I have 3 super chunks up front (2x wall/wall, 1x ceiling/wall). No other traps. I've got a Behringer FDP to eq the subs, but I don't want to go the eq path until the room response is a bit flatter.

What are your experiences with these traps? I have enough depth to sacrifice the 7.5" or so that it would take to put them up. I figured that putting 2' tall 7.5" deep broadband panels at ear height with the A10s above and below them should do a good job of reducing the null.

Someone telling me I'm wrong before I spend a week building them is also appreciated of course

Thanks in advance!
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Guru

We actually do custom tuned trapping so I can give you a bit of insight. First of all they work, but they are a bit tricky. First what you calculate and what actually works can be pretty far off. Also if the trap is not built totally right you have wasted a lot of time and effort and have nothing to show for it. If you do not have the woodworking skills (with tools) I would stick with thick broad band. Here is a room that was treated with 100% broad band. I thick you would agree that not only does the testing look good but the before and after of the recorded music sounds good. Could tuned traps help this room? I would think so but.........................

GIK Acoustics. Treated and untreated listening room video.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search