The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Interpreting absorption data Dynamics Plugins
Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

Interpreting absorption data

I need to order some panels & bass traps, and have been considering either Acoustimac or GIK Acoustics. I've been leaning towards GIK, because I understand they build some beneficial "air space" into the back of the product, resulting in better performance even when mounted flush with the wall. (old explanation from Glenn: ATS Acoustics VS GIK).

However the test results from each company seem to tell a different story:

(Using raw data from here and here, both tested at Riverbank.)

This looks like a clear win for the Acoustimac trap, which doesn't make any sense to me given the way they're built, so I just wanted to throw this out there and see if someone can enlighten me. Is it legit to compare results like this?
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Post moved.

Since someone found this post offensive in this context, I moved it to this thread:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/643767-attic-control-room-question.html
where this topic is already being discussed.

Last edited by Jens Eklund; 2nd September 2011 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: Post moved
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraTrumpet View Post
I need to order some panels & bass traps, and have been considering either Acoustimac or GIK Acoustics. I've been leaning towards GIK, because I understand they build some beneficial "air space" into the back of the product, resulting in better performance even when mounted flush with the wall. (old explanation from Glenn: ATS Acoustics VS GIK).

However the test results from each company seem to tell a different story:

(Using raw data from here and here, both tested at Riverbank.)

This looks like a clear win for the Acoustimac trap, which doesn't make any sense to me given the way they're built, so I just wanted to throw this out there and see if someone can enlighten me. Is it legit to compare results like this?
You would need to compare apples to apples. Those tests they have are J mount with it straddling corners. We did it 3 different ways, A mount (standard in the middle of the room, well kind of) J (on stand) and J (straddling corner).

Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search