The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ultra touch bass absorption Dynamics Plugins
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

ultra touch bass absorption

hello all,
I'm looking into ultra touch insulation for bass traps and to stick behind a few polys I've recently built. What I've read from some of the experts on this site is that ultra touch seems to have a higher GFR than the rigid fiberglass.

Therefore, I can see how ultratouch would make sense as a corner or wall mounted bass trap with an airgap using the 3.5" (r13), but would it be less than ideal for stacking? For example, stuffing 2 or 3 layers of the 3.5" behind my polys? I like the idea of using this stuff for bass traps, but would 3.5" be enough to battle those good ol' low freqs?

Also, has there been any recent data testing below 125 hz for ultra touch 3.5" or 5.5" ?

thanks guys!
Old 1st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggun1234 View Post

Also, has there been any recent data testing below 125 hz for ultra touch 3.5" or 5.5" ?
!

Good luck... Testing below 125 Hz is some tricky testing that few manufacturers outside of the specialty acoustics market want to pay for.

Do a search on flow resistivity - you may be able to calculate a theoretical value.

-tINY

Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks Tiny. Yeah, I figured there wasn't any low freq testing... I've read a bit about GFR, but haven't done any theoretical calcs. I'll have to look at that before deciding to purchase. From what I've read, the ultra touch has a higher GFR. Would this be a clue that stacking the material may not be worth the cost? Would be an interesting test!
Old 1st September 2011

With no measurements to back me up, I can say that the ultra-touch does work well. But, it's very floppy and needs a frame... Get a bag and make some frames with 1/2x4 poplar (or similar). - make sure to have a few cross-slats and wrap in fabric to keep it in place.

Unless you've been to this rodeo before, just do something to get started - ultra-touch works fine, even if it is floppier than clown shoes.

-tINY

Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Nut

Found some r-13 3.5" today. bought enough to do the polys and maybe a few panels. I'm going to use your method for the panels. For the polys, I'm going to simply wrap them in thin plastic and stuff them behind the polys. I'm excited to hear the results!
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Guru

5.5" may work but I would build a soffit design which is 17" box that goes in all corners.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut

I like the idea of that, but what I've been reading on here tells me that thicker ultratouch starts to have a higher flow resisitivty. For example, I read somewhere on here that 3.5" of ultratouch with a 4" gap will yield good bass trapping results. On the other hand, the 5.5" material with a 4" gap yields only a small marginal difference. Does this sound right? Or am I missing something?
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggun1234 View Post
I like the idea of that, but what I've been reading on here tells me that thicker ultratouch starts to have a higher flow resisitivty. For example, I read somewhere on here that 3.5" of ultratouch with a 4" gap will yield good bass trapping results. On the other hand, the 5.5" material with a 4" gap yields only a small marginal difference. Does this sound right? Or am I missing something?
You have it right. Use the 3.5" thick material with a gap for the balance of the depth for best low frequency absorption using Ultra Touch.

Andre
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
You have it right. Use the 3.5" thick material with a gap for the balance of the depth for best low frequency absorption using Ultra Touch.

Andre
I have never tested Ultra Touch but you would not use it to fill a corner (thicker)?
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
I have never tested Ultra Touch but you would not use it to fill a corner (thicker)?
The only test data I have seen for the product showed NO INCREASE in low frequency absorption in comparing 3.5" to 5.5" thickness. The implication is that the gas flow resistivity is so great at low frequencies, the sound is reflected internally by the insulation. So no, filling the corner would not increase the absorption.

And people think acoustics is intuitive!

Andre
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut

thank you for the clarification! Well, I guess that means I can take back one of the batts since I'll only be using half the insulation heh. I'm curious as to how it will react behind the poly. we will see!
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
The only test data I have seen for the product showed NO INCREASE in low frequency absorption in comparing 3.5" to 5.5" thickness. The implication is that the gas flow resistivity is so great at low frequencies, the sound is reflected internally by the insulation. So no, filling the corner would not increase the absorption.

And people think acoustics is intuitive!

Andre
I am crossing ultra touch off of my list of recommended things then. Thanks
Old 4th September 2011

Actually, Glenn, in really small places, you could put 3 1/2 inches of the stuff flat on the wall to get good absorption. This leaves the corner for a rack or a stool for the guitarist or ???

-tINY

Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Hey guys. I went ahead and built 4 extra framed traps with 3.5" of the stuff (with an air gap), wrapped in polyester batting (to keep the floppy stuff in place) and wrapped them in some muslin. I also made two extra traps double the thickness since I had a bunch left over.

Although the data we have states that stacking the material likely doesn't add much extra bass absorption over the 3.5", I figured I'd give it a try since I had so much left over. So far, I can tell a nice difference in the low end (bass guitars, kick drum) with all 6 panels in the room. The room now has 4 tri-traps, 6 4" fiberglass panels, 4 2" fiberglass panels, 2 screen panels, and 6 ultratouch...a nice mix I would say.
The polyester stapled to the frame really helped to keep the stuff in place!
Thanks again for the help guys. I'm happy with the ultratouch so far.

I'll have to do some measurements in REW at some point to see the true effects
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search