The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What would a room with 100% diffusion sound like?
Old 24th June 2011
Lives for gear

Ok... I'll continue on topic... with best example, Blackbird Studio C, "100% diffusion".

Dawn Langstroth, George Massenburg, recorded and mixed (live) in Blackbird Studio C:

Enjoy!

Bogic
Old 5th July 2011
Lives for gear

ive always wondered...with all those people in blackbird....what happens if someone breaks off one of the pieces to the diffuser? tutt
Old 5th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post
ive always wondered...with all those people in blackbird....what happens if someone breaks off one of the pieces to the diffuser? tutt

The piece goes somewhere () and that someone's arm gets cut off to replace it
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torea View Post
The piece goes somewhere () and that someone's arm gets cut off to replace it
No way! heh
It must be the same piece of MDF....
With someone's arm instead of exact piece of MDF, whole room will sounds different!

Cheers
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggy View Post
No way! heh
It must be the same piece of MDF....
With someone's arm instead of exact piece of MDF, whole room will sounds different!

Cheers
is MDF strong enough (dense?) to keep a 3ft piece from sagging over time? or any challenges regarding gravity that had to be taken into account with the deep wells? that's a question i always had.
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by localhost127 View Post
is MDF strong enough (dense?) to keep a 3ft piece from sagging over time?
I believe MDF sticks sagging may be neglected if humidity is kept low...
Quote:
or any challenges regarding gravity that had to be taken into account with the deep wells? that's a question i always had.
Hmm... I don't see/know any connection between deep wells performance and gravity...

Cheers.

Boggy
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
is MDF strong enough (dense?) to keep a 3ft piece from sagging over time? or any challenges regarding gravity that had to be taken into account with the deep wells? that's a question i always had.

it sags a lot when its in sheets, thats for sure.
Old 6th July 2011
Gear Addict

in case anyone missed it, here's a camcorder in that studio, with some guys talking:

The Vagabond Soles @ Blackbird Studio‬‏

"Smells like a ****ing toothpick factory"... hmmm, I wonder if that's distracting at all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcTO_...eature=related
Old 6th July 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Ok... I'll continue on topic... with best example, Blackbird Studio C, "100% diffusion".

Dawn Langstroth, George Massenburg, recorded and mixed (live) in Blackbird Studio C:

snipped to save space

Enjoy!

Bogic
I've never heard of Dawn Langstroth. Stranded is a great song and nice to see the whole band playing at Blackbird. Thanks for posting!
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

That's a strange mix. The instruments sound pretty good but the voice... sounds like she's singing in a anechoic chamber (and unfortunately makes me feel like I'm in there with her), and it doesn't fit at all with the rest.
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulP View Post
That's a strange mix. The instruments sound pretty good but the voice... sounds like she's singing in a anechoic chamber (and unfortunately makes me feel like I'm in there with her), and it doesn't fit at all with the rest.
She is physically in the corner, btw, where is a bass trap heh
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I believe MDF sticks sagging may be neglected if humidity is kept low...

Hmm... I don't see/know any connection between deep wells performance and gravity...

Cheers.

Boggy
that 2nd sentence was still related to the 'sagging' topic in the first sentence - not meant to be presented as a separate issue. disregard
Old 6th July 2011
Gear Addict

Despite the camcorder quality and ****ty youtube compression, you might be able to tell the difference in audio response as the guy walks between the two studios and other rooms.

It would be sweet to have a walkthrough like this for different studios and environments (like an ambionic chamber), done with better equipment in a consistent manner, to get people to hear the differences.
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
that 2nd sentence was still related to the 'sagging' topic in the first sentence - not meant to be presented as a separate issue. disregard
Ah, sorry, if sticks aren't totaly sagged/melted like wax, they will still work very well... some sagging doesn't matter.
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

I found another record from RES Media recording room, this time is male vocal

http://www.bozoel.com/test/MPA3/BoZo-MPA3.wav

File is very large, ~20MB... 192kHz 24bit (I play it with Foobar2000)

Cheers

Boggy
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post
The other 138,645 block heights have to be adjusted to compensate.....heh
Old 6th July 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
If that happens...jv1080 hooked up to v-drums and midi guitar to the rescue
Old 11th July 2011
gml
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dange View Post
The other 138,645 block heights have to be adjusted to compensate.....heh
actually...

the prime number which determined the primitive root diffusor calculation was suggested by Peter DAntonio (my collaborator in the project) was is 138,647, yielding co-primes of 181 & 766. this linear series was folded into 2D by the Chinese Remainder Theorem. there is roughly 47 tons on the walls after milling on a Cosmac horizontal mill, which ran for about 3 months cutting 1532 pieces of 1" MDF. we had thought that "sagging" might be a problem, and worked out a system of installing 1/4" dowels at strategic spots in the array to support it should this be the case - it hasn't been a problem, though.

note in this ETC that the decay is approximately 0.3 seconds, but more importantly, the direct to ambient ratio is in excess of 30dB, which is also the reverberation spec for an anechoic chamber.

the room is hardly anechoic, though. just listening to music in there is extraordinary; ensemble musicians report that it's easier to play live in the room because it's easier to hear in the room.

those that appreciate it use it to it's utmost. the "sound" is more or less like an "acoustic white-out", and the decay is extraordinarily linear with higher frequencies (the Schroeder curves are remarkably linear) having more decay than any other room i've ever experienced. i made the best record i ever made in my life in there (from which that video clip came). unfortunately, Nashville's short-sighted and inept "music" industry will not tolerate innovation of any kind, and i'm told that the room now has heavy curtains hung in front of the diffusors.

i now live in Montreal, by the way.
George Massenburg
Old 11th July 2011
NLP
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gml View Post
... unfortunately, Nashville's short-sighted and inept "music" industry will not tolerate innovation of any kind, and i'm told that the room now has heavy curtains hung in front of the diffusors.

i now live in Montreal, by the way.
George Massenburg

however best of the best studio
Old 11th July 2011
Lives for gear

thank you for the input, gml -
Old 11th July 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the information George.

Andre
Old 11th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gml View Post
...i'm told that the room now has heavy curtains hung in front of the diffusors.
Unreal.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
And, second, this is a recently finished mix from Pressed Lizard (recorded elsewhere)

http://myroom-acoustics.com/hosted/m..._selection.wav

That I was found for now. I'll try to find more...
Whole CD is available here now:
Na pu?ini živog peska | AUTOGENI TRENING
All songs are mixed and mastered in Pressed Lizard, small fully diffuse room.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quite a bit of diffusion here. Never been there, but I've my doubts.
Attached Images
File Type: png index.png (661.5 KB, 5928 views)
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwo View Post
Quite a bit of diffusion here. Never been there, but I've my doubts.
If that room is long I would doubt it myself. Who really knows though what other things they might have in that room with regard to low end control. I for one hate rooms that are shaped like that as it seems to have a really bad (I like to call) tunnel effect.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
If that room is long I would doubt it myself. Who really knows though what other things they might have in that room with regard to low end control. I for one hate rooms that are shaped like that as it seems to have a really bad (I like to call) tunnel effect.
What you see for instance at the bottom of the sidewalls are Helmholtz resonators.

Some pics below of another room with much diffusion.
Attached Thumbnails
What would a room with 100% diffusion sound like?-1.jpg   What would a room with 100% diffusion sound like?-2.jpg   What would a room with 100% diffusion sound like?-3.jpg   What would a room with 100% diffusion sound like?-4.jpg   What would a room with 100% diffusion sound like?-5.jpg  

Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwo View Post
What you see for instance at the bottom of the sidewalls are Helmholtz resonators.

Some pics below of another room with much diffusion.
Something tells me he (no way is that a she!!) as more in cables then I have in my car! Trust me I drive a pretty nice car.
Old 16th September 2011
gml
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
1. you'd have to hear the room. the quality of it's ambience is not in your's or anyone else's experience.

2. the shape of the room is rectangular. like many of the great concert halls. sorry that you hate rooms that are shaped like that - it's one of the most dependable shapes we know of. don't know that any of us have heard a "really bad tunnel effect".

3. i'm never heard of a "tunnel effect".

btw, BB-C is very close of cube root of 2 differences between H, W, & L.

George
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
2. the shape of the room is rectangular. like many of the great concert halls. sorry that you hate rooms that are shaped like that - it's one of the most dependable shapes we know of. don't know that any of us have heard a "really bad tunnel effect".
It is rectangular? If so then I take back what I said. From looking at the pictures it looks like slatted side walls and long. BTW if that is your room I am impressed, looks really nice.
BTW I should have not used the word "hate".
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think the lens used to produce the photo (wide field of view I think) exaggerated the apparent length of the room.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search