The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Perforated Panel with Porous Absorber trap Condenser Microphones
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRain View Post
actuallt about my failure I didn't say all.....
the 70Hz dip I have....I'm pretty sure it's coming from the back wall, exactly where I'm not able to put the treatment I will like to......so, yes, the cause of the failure could be the position of the traps....
during summer vacations I will focus on this.
So, again, most important thing is locate the problem
Try to find better position for loudspeakers too. Dip at 70Hz, sometimes can be sensitive to loudspeaker position.

Cheers.
Bogic
Old 27th June 2011
+1
Speakers position and listening position
It's incredible how much difference few cm can make....but often is like having a short blanket.....if you pull it to cover your shoulder the feet stay out :(
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
+1
Speakers position and listening position
Yes!
Quote:
It's incredible how much difference few cm can make....but often is like having a short blanket.....if you pull it to cover your shoulder the feet stay out :(
I know :( , but there wasn't many remaining ways to solve problems.
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

Still trapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
... There is another which shows actual success building reasonable sized panel traps, by G.E. Anyone have that link handy? ...

... these posts come to my mind as starters:Personal résumé: good (narrowband) success with well tuned membrane absorbers, little to no success at all with perforated tuned absorbers, and some new exiting results from a VPR-inspired configuration (single big trap with EDIT: 2m^2 [~21 square feet] front) that reduced the T60 time of the first three modes (calculated by REW) as follows:
  • ~42Hz (1.0.0): 4,643s > 294ms (-94%)
  • ~55Hz (0.1.0): 1,602s > 590ms (-63%)
  • ~70Hz (1.1.0): 2,873s > 531ms (-82%)
Attached Thumbnails
Perforated Panel with Porous Absorber trap-empty.jpg   Perforated Panel with Porous Absorber trap-trapped.jpg  
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. E. View Post
........some new exiting results from a VPR-inspired configuration (single big trap with 1m^2 [~21 square feet] front) that reduced the T60 time of the first three modes (calculated by REW) as follows:
  • ~42Hz (1.0.0): 4,643s > 294ms (-94%)
  • ~55Hz (0.1.0): 1,602s > 590ms (-63%)
  • ~70Hz (1.1.0): 2,873s > 531ms (-82%)

It's really exciting result.

BTW is it 1m^2 or 21 square feet (2m^2) (just curious)

Best regards

Bogic
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

Typo

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggy View Post
... is it 1m^2 or 21 square feet (2m^2) ...
I've corrected the typo in the original post, actually it's 2m^2.
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've corrected the typo in the original post, actually it's 2m^2.
Thanks
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

Here is a burst decay sonogram response of Pressed Lizard studio, designed following MyRoom acoustic design principle. Room has near square horizontal cross section (double room mode at ~50Hz). Description of this design you can find in my signature (please, look above in my other posts... if this post doesn't have any signature below).

I hope this may be usefull for some reference.

EDIT: Dimensions of Pressed Lizard room (before any treatment) are: width=3.56m, length=3.67m and height = 2.55m (w-11.7', l-12', h-8.4')
Attached Thumbnails
Perforated Panel with Porous Absorber trap-pressed-lizard-sonogram.jpg  
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

Outstanding burst decay

Quote:
Here is a burst decay spectrogram response of Pressed Lizard studio, designed following MyRoom acoustic design principle. ...
You're showing an outstanding burst decay result -- very even and controlled response over the whole frequency range (FYI: my own measurment above was done with a subwoofer with driver, trap, mic all placed in corners).
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're showing an outstanding burst decay result -- very even and controlled response over the whole frequency range (FYI: my own measurment above was done with a subwoofer with driver, trap, mic all placed in corners).
Thanks.
I measured finished studio, left channel, at listening position, full range three-way loudspeakers are already in best possible position, ... and someone call that type of designs "100% diffuse"... figuratively, of course.

BTW, the "woofer" in Pressed Lizard monitors, was 12" long stroke driver , then, some "usable" frequency response is actually from about 4Hz to 25kHz heh ...

Cheers

Bogic
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

Modal control

Burst decays of a halfway treated room using only pressure based absorbers (except at early reflection points of course), panel absorbers (with diffusers as front end) targeting the 60 Hz mode:

Perforated Panel with Porous Absorber trap-untreated.gif
Perforated Panel with Porous Absorber trap-halfway-treated.gif
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

Viewing options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
... Burst decays of a halfway treated room using only pressure based absorbers (except at early reflection points of course), panel absorbers (with diffusers as front end) targeting the 60 Hz mode: ...
Given that a constant decay rate (over different frequncies) results in greater numbers for the periods necessary for the level to drop by let's say 60dB as in the screenshots absorption at 100Hz and above works really well in your example.

Do you have before/after numbers for your modes from REW's calculations (T60 in REW's modal analysis, EQ section)?

BTW: we're propably "comparing" different rooms and different measurement setups!

This is what my measurements look like recreating your viewing options:
Attached Thumbnails
Perforated Panel with Porous Absorber trap-empty2.jpg   Perforated Panel with Porous Absorber trap-trapped2.jpg  
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here is a burst decay spectrogram response of Pressed Lizard studio, designed following MyRoom acoustic design principle. Room has near square horizontal cross section (double room mode at ~50Hz). Description of this design you can find in my signature (please, look above in my other posts... if in this post isn't any signature below).

I hope this may be usefull for some reference.

EDIT: Dimensions of Pressed Lizard room (before any treatment) are: width=3.56m, length=3.67m and height = 2.55m (w-11.7', l-12', h-8.4')
Same as above, but right channel.
Attached Thumbnails
Perforated Panel with Porous Absorber trap-pressed-lizard-sonogram-right.jpg  
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do have before/after numbers for your modes from REW's calculations (T60 in REW's modal analysis, EQ section)?
30-150 Hz
Analysis Length: 500 ms
Noise Threashold: 45 dB
Min T60: 300 ms
Max T60: 3000 ms
Min SPL: 75 dB (impluse about 90 dB).

Untreated:

31,7 100,4 363,5
40,8 88,6 757,3
55,4 80,6 426,2
59,8 104,5 832,8
74,0 85,1 798,1
80,2 98,5 701,5
86,1 97,9 890,8
94,3 80,4 746,0
98,9 88,8 986,7
105,2 83,3 573,9
109,1 90,2 1677,5
114,0 100,3 539,8
116,2 102,5 784,4
119,2 107,2 689,6
121,8 100,0 533,4
129,5 84,2 805,8
135,0 86,8 396,8
146,7 96,0 653,4

Halfway treated:

30,1 80,9 305,3
37,2 81,9 649,8
43,4 79,9 442,6
57,8 92,4 364,9
Old 27th June 2011
Gear Guru
Remarkable

Well done Gernot. Really convincing results from quite a small VPR.
Would you share the construction details? I suggest that this really deserves a new thread.

All of the results presented seem very interesting, with good eyesight and patience :-)

Waterfalls? Or post the exported IR as WAV?

DD

Last edited by DanDan; 27th June 2011 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: OT
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

IRs

Quote:
... Would you share the construction details? I suggest that this really deserves a new thread. ...
I'm in the process of fine tuning my experiments...

Quote:
... Waterfalls? Or post the exported IR as WAV? ...
Here we go:
Attached Thumbnails
Perforated Panel with Porous Absorber trap-empty3.jpg   Perforated Panel with Porous Absorber trap-trapped3.jpg  
Attached Files

20110618_m0011_empty_IR.wav (512.0 KB, 7247 views)

20110618_m0021_trapped_IR.wav (512.0 KB, 7261 views)

Old 27th June 2011
Gear Guru
Made my day

Thanks G. You have made my day. I have been suggesting for some time that VPR may be a holy grail. I hoped to try them myself. I got some costs on steel and Basotect. LOL, Ireland is certainly not Greece.
I will put it this way. Bob Dylan played here last week. Tickets €95.
He also played San Francisco recently, Tickets $40.
I am really looking forward to seeing how you made these.

DD
Old 27th June 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
I am really looking forward to seeing how you made these.

DD
This looks to good to be true, only one (big) trap? I really hope G.E. will share details with us when he has finished this experiment.
Old 28th June 2011
Lives for gear

One trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by laagman View Post
... only one (big) trap? ...
Right, one trap -- the most effective sub bass trap (<80Hz) that I've built so far (amongst ~50 different trap configurations such as porous absorbers, tuned perforated devices, tuned membrane absorbers, VPRs).

Right now I'm trying to figure out how it translates to different rooms in studios in (and around) Vienna and to build an enclosure for easier transportation.
Attached Thumbnails
Perforated Panel with Porous Absorber trap-dsc_1712.jpg  
Old 28th June 2011
Gear Guru
Wow

If you wish to reveal details I am sure many of us would try it.
I would of course totally understand if you chose not to.
This is beginning to look like a very sellable trap system!
I am curious. I thought the VPR had to be totally mounted on a pretty solid boundary. From the picture yours looks like a large damped sheet straddling a corner. Again, kudos G, I wish you every encouragement possible and am quite willing to throw in any support possible, up to and including building and testing here.
DD
Old 28th June 2011
Gear Head

If G.E. wished to reveal details, it should definitely be in new thread.

If not, as least let us know how much ($$$) it's gonna be ;-)
Old 29th June 2011
Gear Addict

impressive work G.E
Old 29th June 2011
I've had good luck with perforated panel absorbers. I've used them in several rooms in conjunction with other traps and absorbers and they have proven to be effective and fairly straighforward. Mankovsky did excellent work on the subject, and enough of it is outlined in Everest's "Master Handbook of Acoustics" to get you started.

I really don't think they're that difficult to build, and if you half-fill the cavity with porous absorption, the Q widens sufficiently to give you a margin of error for the center frequency. Of course the extra absorption at frequencies to either side of the design frequency comes at the cost of a bit of a reduction of peak absorption at that design frequency, but for several practical reasons you're most likely better off with some porous absorption inside.
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo View Post
I really don't think they're that difficult to build, and if you half-fill the cavity with porous absorption, the Q widens sufficiently to give you a margin of error for the center frequency.
+1

If low enough flow resistively, you can usually fill the cavity completely.
Old 4th July 2011
I don't want to give up the perforated panels path....my first attempt was a failure but I didn't expect to get it right at the first shot
I found out that different calculators give different results and the Absorber Model used to calculate the Absorbtion coefficient will plot very different results.
So it's a little bit complicate for me to decide the way to proceed
Old 4th July 2011
Gear Guru
Give Up?

I hear Kate Bush singing to Peter Gabriel.....
I will certainly encourage any attempts to do LF properly. It seems obvious to me that any tuned trap will have to have tunability in the design.
Way back, G.E.'s most successful trap, after many many attempts, was a panel one.
His high performing new VPR one might also be loosely called a panel design.
Similarly the BBC settled on a Panel design, again after much research.
Some of the pro designers around here have also recommended panels over perf. In the real world, I see lots of broadly tuned slatted designs.
DD
Old 31st December 2011
Lives for gear

Revelation

Quote:
If you wish to reveal details I am sure many of us would try it. ...
I've put up the basic construction scheme and a thread for comparing different bass traps for a deeper discussion of the object.
Old 20th April 2018
Here for the gear

If you would like to install perforated acoustic panel in your room then, I will recommended you to go to perforatedacousticpanels. They also provide a complete assembly drawing that allows you to view the complete wall or ceiling components.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search