The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Diffusers VS Absorbers
Old 25th May 2011
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Diffusers VS Absorbers

Hello once again. I'm totally confused right now. As i'm going to treat my control room i still don't understand what's the difference between absorbers and diffusers. I mean i understand what they do.. But when do i need absorb the sound, and when do i need diffuser? Can't i just treat my room with traps (5cm and 10cm for bass) without any diffusion? Or do i need the diffusion over my head on the ceiling and on my back wall? If yes, then why do i need them? My room is about 3,5m x 7m. and 3m high.

That would be really awesome if somebody could finaly explain me this Cuz i'm totally lost Again, i'm not treating my room to be it like the world's famous studio.. That would be enough for me to have just a great sound to work
Old 25th May 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Diffusion is used to scatter frequencys so the last thing you want those to have is at relfection points (sidewalls) i guess. What you want is Most likely abosption. Your room is pretty big, so i'd place some small diffusers on the backwall. 10cm - 4 inch Traps on relfection points 6 inch traps in the corners , if you can afford it, big superchunks. And clouds aren't realy necesary, cuz i guess you have a high ceiling.

EDIT: In a control room you want litteraly ABSOPTION....Diffusers will be more used in the recording-room.
Also be carefull you don't create a DEAD room, dead rooms are great vor vocals but not for your controlroom.
Old 25th May 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Take a look at this thread.I think is a great example of how and where use absorption/diffusion in a relatively small (21 x 12 x 8 ) room.Lots of pictures also (+ drawing )

Ciro
Old 25th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdupproductions ➡️
Diffusion is used to scatter frequencys so the last thing you want those to have is at relfection points (sidewalls) i guess. What you want is Most likely abosption. Your room is pretty big, so i'd place some small diffusers on the backwall. 10cm - 4 inch Traps on relfection points 6 inch traps in the corners , if you can afford it, big superchunks. And clouds aren't realy necesary, cuz i guess you have a high ceiling.
Why only "small diffusers"?

Careful with porous only absorbers (if not on early reflection points):
Room Measurement After Consulting Gearslutz

"Clouds" (broadband absorbers) are needed on any surface that is to close and thus reflects energy back to the sweet spot within the ISD-gap. A 3 meter ceiling is not high enough to do without either absorption or alternatively, angled panels to redirect the energy away from the sweet spot. More on this topic:

high freqs reflextion question (small room treatment)
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
But what would i actually lose without diffusion? For example if i only put 10cm trap absorption on the back wall. Would i actually feel a difference in this case without diffusing?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP100 ➡️
But what would i actually lose without diffusion? For example if i only put 10cm trap absorption on the back wall. Would i actually feel a difference in this case without diffusing?
First you need to decide on a design philosophy. I would recommend the LEDE since it’s been around for some time (1978) and is still one of the most common used today (although many think it’s dead and that “RFZ” or “Ambechoic” is the new ideal, but RFZ is just a geometric suctions to reach the LEDE criteria and Ambechoic needs a big room and a big budget to accomplish. Once you’ve made your decision, you need to either:

Read up on principle and execute.

Hire someone how knows how to do it right.

or you simply ignore all knowledge accumulated during half a century in the field of control room acoustics and instead follow skewed rules of thumb given by people on forums that might guide you in the complete opposite direction to where you want to be but you just don’t know it yet.
Old 26th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdupproductions ➡️
Diffusion is used to scatter frequencys so the last thing you want those to have is at relfection points (sidewalls)
EDIT: In a control room you want litteraly ABSOPTION....Diffusers will be more used in the recording-room.
this is all highly over-generalizing and incorrect.
are you saying one should never have diffusion at first reflection points?
Old 26th May 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years

Ok, then where i should start from? Traping? What would be the first steps of traping the room? How much of it..? I will make You a free recording for everyone who will help! Kidding
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…