The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIY Broadband Absorber - pictures posted
Old 23rd May 2008 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollicollins View Post
should i remove back panels so they are just rockwool in frames?????
Yes. If they weren't spaced off the wall it wouldn't matter. But yours are spaced so there should not be a back.

--Ethan
Old 24th May 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmate View Post
now i made a measurement with fuzzmeasure.

i've recorded a sinus sweep through this chain:
brauner phantom c -> mogami 2791 -> chandler tg channel mk2 (eq not engaged) -> rme multiface @ 96 khz

the microphone was put in my listening position between the speakers.

i'll see if i can organize more accurate equipment for further measurements soon.

and this is it:
I think you should use a omni mic for that! The C stands for cardioid right?
Old 19th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetener View Post
I think you should use a omni mic for that! The C stands for cardioid right?
Yeah I think it is a Cardioid.

His graph looked very flat to me. Would be interesting to see what an omni would show with the same setup.
Old 14th April 2009 | Show parent
Studio Acoustic Treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
i've never been more confused , this base traps issue is such a voodoo ...
i need to place bass traps on all my studio's corners and i just don't know which way to go , i'm looking for the best results and i can't make up my mind between:

- Ethan's Mondo\Mini traps
- DIY - bass traps
- DIY - super chunk bass traps
- Auralex LENRDS
- RPG modex \ corner modex

what would you do ???
Ethan's Mondotraps will be more effective in the corners than the Minitraps (but they also cost more). I have two Mondotraps and 4 Minitraps, along with some RPG Abflectors, Variscreens, and Skylines. Too lazy/busy to try and make them myself.
Old 24th August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Here's a few I've made. They don't perform as well in the bassregion like my GIK 244 absorbers do, but they look much better.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Broadband Absorber - pictures posted-bilde-011-medium-.jpg   DIY Broadband Absorber - pictures posted-bilde-007-medium-.jpg   DIY Broadband Absorber - pictures posted-bilde-008-medium-.jpg  
Old 31st January 2010
I haven't read all the thread yet, but for those interested in free room measurement software, there is PureMeasurement from the IHA. It is based on PureData and will work on Windows, Mac OS X & Linux.
Old 1st February 2010 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwo View Post
Here's a few I've made. They don't perform as well in the bassregion like my GIK 244 absorbers do, but they look much better.
Those are pretty cool looking. I've been thinking about making some similar to that for our home-theater room. Since it's also a living room, I want the bass traps to look more like wall art.
Old 7th February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

OLD THREAD I KNOW but not an old subject :)

hi, i read all the posts from this thread and it was somewhat enlightening cause I only roughly now about room acoustics,
but some variations came to my head. Would they work?

If I cut rockwool into triangles and pile them on top of each other, then cover them with let's say cotton, would they be good absorbers for the corners if i just stuck them in place? would they need to be tight against the wall? could I cover them with woodpanels and leave a space between the wool and the panels, would that improve the effect like with tuned absorbers?
As far as I have understood, the cornerabsorbation should not take to many high frequencies right? maybe wood panels with holes to let some sound through?

what about the shape of the room? couldn't you reshape the room like westlake&co., to optimize it(maybe wood construction plaster boards) and apply the absorbers on the outside to hide them, leaving some of the walls made of cloth(next to the speakers for instance?) i was thinking that it might not make such a big price difference and if you use the right measures(maybe size of rockwool slates) it can be done within 4-5 days.. this could even make flush mounting possible( I'm not quite sure cause flush mounting might need more solid walls..)

oh boy, I'm just guessing here.. anyone with answers for my knotted brain?
Old 19th August 2012
Here for the gear

I moved this from a different thread:

Sound n'Safe for Absorption

I'm making 6 rockwood traps. Here's the making of:

Supplies:

Building:

Done:

Old 6th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmate View Post
now i made a measurement with fuzzmeasure.

i've recorded a sinus sweep through this chain:
brauner phantom c -> mogami 2791 -> chandler tg channel mk2 (eq not engaged) -> rme multiface @ 96 khz

the microphone was put in my listening position between the speakers.

i'll see if i can organize more accurate equipment for further measurements soon.

and this is it:
impressive
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpitluk View Post
I moved this from a different thread:

Sound n'Safe for Absorption

I'm making 6 rockwood traps. Here's the making of:

Nices pics and good work. Thanks for the post...

... but seriously... what's with those white socks?

just kidding, coulnd't resist hahahaha
heh heh heh heh
Old 8th July 2013
Here for the gear

Hey guys!
Here the pics of the traps I built (second hand Billy cupboards, hemp and linen).
The large one at left is actually based on the frame of an old Ikea bed, and mounted on wheels, so that I can move it as a gobo, or as a small "cabine" when set as a triangle in the corner.
They enclose ~24cm of hemp, the room is around 20m2, and it's the only wall treated in the room. The overall budget is below 300€ ($380).
I haven't done precise measurement already, but the RT60 has definitely decreased more than 50%, and I got rid of most disturbing phenomenons.
Thanks for all info available here, that was definitely fun to build all this!
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Broadband Absorber - pictures posted-img_1703.jpg  
Old 27th December 2014
Here for the gear

Some tips for those on tight budgets... like me. =)

1) Call around to local insulation distributors. Buying from an actual distributor is almost guaranteed to be significantly cheaper. I don't remember all the numbers that I crunched, but I do know that while I had to buy more than I originally intended (usually comes in bulk from distr.), it still came out cheaper than buying less, from a retailer.
2) After going over all of the coefficients, I decided on Roxul (mineralwool). It was considerably cheaper than fiberglass, and closely matches fiberglass coefficients. At first I was hesitant because all "the big guys" said OC 703. Honestly though, while it might technically be "better", the actual performance difference is negligible. The numbers in the coefficients don't record enough difference to actually matter. If you're on a tight budget, it's not worth all the extra money for what is arguably equal.
3) I would never use material that is not at least slightly stretchy. I found that black gauze is a pretty ideal option; it stretches admirably, and can be found quite cheaply. I bought this gauze on sale, for next to nothing. Seriously, I cannot imagine a more ideal material. It's very breathable, but definitely thick enough to prevent dust/particles from escaping.
4) This should be first on the list but... Don't fool yourself - you NEED acoustic treatment! It seems like a lot of work, time, and money for something that is more of a "luxury" that the big and famous buy... it's not. It literally needs to be on your Top Priorities list - the same one with computer, software, etc.
Old 7th January 2015
Lives for gear

You said it, man, especially on your #2 !!!
Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear

Great thread
Old 10th December 2016
Here for the gear

old threat but still have a question for airmate. The thing you made for the fabrik is it attached to the bookcase or just a tight fit ?
I'm going to make the same but then with this insolation material Isolation naturelle chanvre et lin certifiée ACERMI . these are some specs.
Composition 25 % Hemp fibers, 60 % Cellulose wadding , Polyester binder
Density 45 kg/m³
Old 22nd December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirm View Post
Hey guys!
Here the pics of the traps I built (second hand Billy cupboards, hemp and linen).
The large one at left is actually based on the frame of an old Ikea bed, and mounted on wheels, so that I can move it as a gobo, or as a small "cabine" when set as a triangle in the corner.
They enclose ~24cm of hemp, the room is around 20m2, and it's the only wall treated in the room. The overall budget is below 300€ ($380).
I haven't done precise measurement already, but the RT60 has definitely decreased more than 50%, and I got rid of most disturbing phenomenons.
Thanks for all info available here, that was definitely fun to build all this!
GOOD!
Did you leave the frame or metal reinforcement cross in the Ikea bed or how did you stabilize it?
Btw what bed model was it?
Thanks!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animadigital View Post
old threat but still have a question for airmate. The thing you made for the fabrik is it attached to the bookcase or just a tight fit ?
I'm going to make the same but then with this insolation material Isolation naturelle chanvre et lin certifiée ACERMI . these are some specs.
Density 45 kg/m³

They are attached.
Here for the gear

This is my result , thanks for the inspiration!
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Broadband Absorber - pictures posted-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 17th August 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animadigital View Post
Density 45 kg/m³
Hey, i'm looking for natural insolation material available in France to build bass traps. What did you ended up choosing? Thanks!
Old 17th August 2017
Here for the gear

Hey , I used this brand https://www.biofib.com/biofib-ouate.php
Put them in some ikea cabinet and made some blocker for in front.
Old 29th November 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear
My Absorber Project

I've been reading all the threads on this forum regarding traps and absorbers and so-on and it's a real inspiration. Last month I finally decided it was time to cut wood! I couldn't find any ready made frames at Ikea, so got 12mm plywood cut into 100mm wide strips at B&Q (like Home Depot in the US).

I wanted as nice a looking finish as I could get, so ordered some Guilford of Maine FR701 fabric online, and as I had a business trip to Chicago recently, had them send it there to save on international shipping.

The inside was Rockwool RW3. I was worried about the Rockwool bloating out of the frames, especially on the ceiling cloud I had planned, so once it was in the frame I stapled over a layer of very thin, stretchy gauze material front and back (it looks like the kind of thing would be in the layers of a wedding dress). It was very cheap though.

Lastly the brackets. I screwed 35 x 35 "L" brackets to the wall and the back of the panels, and then just a 4mm bolt down through them to hold the two together. These provide a stand-off of about 35mm from the wall - to lower the effective absorption range - and by putting a washer or two under the brackets, I can get the panels precisely level on the wall.

Anyhoo, it all seems to work very well although I haven't got around to making measurements yet. I do have a bit of a null at 90HZ which is odd, and I may have to make some tuned LF traps to sort this. These will go on the back wall bookshelves, sorry, diffusors!
Hope this is of interest.
Pete. Bournemouth, UK.

[IMG]https://previews.dropbox.com/p/thumb/AARAp6zJvWGgPSLtROTKLFNZqZHxZWMrWu8KY4wKJfY4gUDH3Fu2pMUfwGhZsGtyuF0sgyGp4weXrsJslNUhPeQw0GLHFRdow_TG8EJfLmYqCnBNEK2c1VbLNvBULuRKzIyetNtSUKr2c4giiyBq2hD737wnYXX3ztyspIlJ5zGDr***s1TodR4RC9_LAjsNVPArxRLmyODa8A-7dhfHOlGxy1bf9v70C46xNOcg09oRgg/p.jpeg?size=1600x1200&size_mode=3[/IMG]

Old 4th January 2020
Gear Nut

Hi guys, i decided to throw my DYI Mineral wool panels for health concerns and i'm looking into these HEMP or JUTE fiber like these : https://www.thermo-natur.de/en/insul...s/thermo-jute/ . The seller i contacted said that JUTE(i think its the material for Burlap) is better than Hemp because of greater density, do you guys think that is true ? I saw nothing about this Jute material, so dont know which to get .
Old 4th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
Hi guys, i decided to throw my DYI Mineral wool panels for health concerns and i'm looking into these HEMP or JUTE fiber like these : https://www.thermo-natur.de/en/insul...s/thermo-jute/ . The seller i contacted said that JUTE(i think its the material for Burlap) is better than Hemp because of greater density, do you guys think that is true ? I saw nothing about this Jute material, so dont know which to get .
Greater density doesn't automatically mean better. The air flow resistivity is what matters and the optimal number will depend on thickness being used.
Old 4th January 2020
Gear Nut

Thank you Bjorn, i should probably stick with the Hemp, which others also used .
Old 7th January 2020
Gear Nut

Ok so the german producer for the Hemp and Jute insulation gave me some info, they said Jute is actually a little bit better for sound absorption. The resistance values for each are :

Length related flow resistance : Hemp = 3.0 kPa•s/m² , Jute =3.4 kPa•s/m2 .

Can anyone confirm that the Jute value is more suited for studio treatment ?
Old 7th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok so the german producer for the Hemp and Jute insulation gave me some info, they said Jute is actually a little bit better for sound absorption. The resistance values for each are :

Length related flow resistance : Hemp = 3.0 kPa•s/m² , Jute =3.4 kPa•s/m2 .

Can anyone confirm that the Jute value is more suited for studio treatment ?
Both would only be good for thick bass absorbents above approximately 30 cm.
Old 8th January 2020
Gear Nut

Bjorn , thank you .... yes, will stack 2 panels to create 20 cm thickness, this is DYI home project though, not mastering .
Old 8th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Bjorn , thank you .... yes, will stack 2 panels to create 20 cm thickness, this is DYI home project though, not mastering .
With only 20 cm thickness you're better off with something with higher air flow resistivity.
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

3,0 - 3,4 kPa is too low GFR unless extremely thick (>0,7 m or so) treatment. At 0,2 m you should look for a value of around 8-12 kPa or so (depending also on density).
📝 Reply