The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIY Broadband Absorber - pictures posted
Old 25th October 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

i'd like to see some more shots of your guys' rooms with the acoustic treatments.
Old 25th October 2006 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykeBack View Post
i'd like to see some more shots of your guys' rooms with the acoustic treatments.
The first photo below is my home studio, outfitted with the wood panel traps described here:

www.ethanwiner.com/basstrap.html

Most of the treatment is focused at the front of the room, though there are bass traps all along the rear, and I've added several more on the side walls and ceiling since this photo was taken.

The next two photos are of my living room surround setup with 40 traps (!), though these are the commercial panels my company sells.

--Ethan

Old 6th November 2006 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmate View Post
clusterchord, i bought the hemp directly from the manufacturer.
it's a company in bavaria..

btw: i had a look at your website - my girlfriend is croatian as well... heh
haha good for u. well, mine's too .. not suprisingly.

you got some nice vintage keyboards there. all choice pieces i see. but the vintage outboard as well. a fellow vintage keys lover here.

btw, i contacted Hock for hemp, were are making shipping arrangements to Kroatien. thanks for pointing it out to me. they are very heplful ppl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R. Foster View Post
Well its clearly absorptive

http://www.thermo-hanf.de/upload/pdf...sche_Daten.pdf

There is no break down per frequency band... but it did get a 1.00 coefficent on a "Klasse A" curve so that looks good.. ..This info is not broken down per frequency - but even absent assurance of how well does low in the band - keeping in mind that these Dope Traps are about a foot thick - I'd bet they are excellent broadband absorbers all the way down to the bottom.
i got the per-frequency band data from Hock. uploaded it here:

SCHALL_Englisch.pdf

on a related note, i remeber someone on GS recently posted pictures of his DIY broandband traps as well. he had this beautiful dark matte wood with huge holes drilled on sides, to allow for even more absorption. i'd really like to try this design, but somehow cant find this thread anymore. anyone remebers, or knows the URL ?

thnx
Old 6th November 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
a fellow vintage keys lover here.
yes, indeed... heh
Old 7th November 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R. Foster View Post
Airmate:
Just for general info... here's a list of acoustic testing demo downloads... if no joy on the mac thingy, maybe borrow a PC for a couple of days?
Well, the author of FuzzMeasure Pro, a great Mac measurement program, has been sighted in this forum

I'm a very happy customer. It's a wonderful and even cheap program.
Old 16th December 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by borjam View Post
Well, the author of FuzzMeasure Pro, a great Mac measurement program, has been sighted in this forum

I'm a very happy customer. It's a wonderful and even cheap program.
Yes - I have talked to serveral folks as satisfied as you are - so I edited my post above - thanks for the helpful comment.
Old 3rd January 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

nice work, I guess they trap bass too.
I heard some arguing towards corner bass traps...I´m wondering if that could eliminate standing waves, too ... really wondering, because I have already some from auralex (8 pieces) and they make the situation with standing waves a little more tolerable, but at the right frequencies, the bass still yowls unacceptably - do you think it gets better with more bass traps?

t
Gear Maniac

I found another hemp based corner trap
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Broadband Absorber - pictures posted-mpu001_jerry_garcia_p.jpg  
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomylee View Post
I heard some arguing towards corner bass traps...I´m wondering if that could eliminate standing waves, too
It's impossible to eliminate all low frequency problems, but corner bass traps - good ones, that is - definitely help a lot.

Quote:
do you think it gets better with more bass traps?
Yes, it's not even open for discussion. heh

Seriously, the more bass traps you have, the flatter and tighter the low end will be. Always. It's that simple. I have 40 traps in my living room, and a lot of pro studio owners would kill to have a low end as good as I enjoy!

--Ethan
Lives for gear

Am I on the right track. Glue Roxul together???

My plan is to do 1"X4" frames with pine and drill good sized holes in the side of the frame. I am going to leave the back open other than a strip of wood or two going down the middle to mount to the U shaped brackets I will have on my wall.
I found a good source for Roxul, 2" mineral wool with 3.4lb density. I will be stuffing 2 of them into the frame and surrounding them with muslin. These will be used as diffusers and I might get 1X6" for the corner and use three pieces.

MY QUESTION is whether I should glue the 2 (or 3) sheets of Roxul together or not.

ONE MORE: Would it help to stuff the corner cavities behind the bass traps with regular insulation or newspaper or...anything like that?

I might have to counter sink the backs slightly to make the front flush. I have no problem with that. I am very excited to get started.

Thank you.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

[...]and a lot of pro studio owners would kill to have a low end as good as I enjoy!

--Ethan
And all this only because of all corners filled with that 703 (or 705) mineralwool? - I mean, it handles not much space and if you think about all the other walls still mirroring...hmm...I´d like to know it in a little more in detail, but my common sense tells me, standing waves orrur because of parallel mirroring waves in symmetrical rooms, so why should the soundwaves care for those little filled up zones right along the corners if the rest of the room is still mirroring...well, thats just my common sense, but maybe you know the reason, I´m alrealy beginning to believe this stuff

This indeed sounds like unreasonable magic to me, but it seems to work as I see the comments on this thread...I have lots of space left in my room: is it best, if I just fill it up with lots of squarefeets of this stuff, or can you also overdo it?

tom
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyrich View Post
MY QUESTION is whether I should glue the 2 (or 3) sheets of Roxul together or not.
Not needed.

Quote:
Would it help to stuff the corner cavities behind the bass traps with regular insulation or newspaper or...anything like that?
Well, not newspaper. But adding fluffy fiberglass there will help a little.

So why is a guy who's "filthy rich" making DIY bass traps? heh

--Ethan
Lives for gear

I'm a poor, mostly failed musician (myspace.com/thirteenblack) like everyone else. My name is Rich. I am quite clean, by nature. I am in no way wealthy. My name is meant to drip with sarcasm. It doesn't always work.

You are quite the fountain of knowledge, by the way, Mr. Winer. Thanks for some great reading. I look forward to hearing some of your string work soon.

-(Filthy) Rich
Old 4th January 2007 | Show parent
Gear Head

Hey Mr. Winer out of curiousity, after doing some extensive research online, I had assumed that 2" 703 when placed at the rooms corners would yield the best low frequency absorption, now after reading this thread and many others, many say that w/o a minimum of 4" your not getting any low frequency absorption. So to my disappointment, after purchasing 12 pieces of 703 and building them at 2" I think that I may have built something not to it's fullest potential. If you do not mind, what is the best thickness to use for bass traps, and broadband absorbers, and should we drill holes on the sides or not. Please can you clarify these questions. thanks

-cliff
So where is the best place to get Owens Corning 705? Home Depot or something? Where so I start looking?
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper View Post
Hey Mr. Winer out of curiousity, after doing some extensive research online, I had assumed that 2" 703 when placed at the rooms corners would yield the best low frequency absorption, now after reading this thread and many others, many say that w/o a minimum of 4" your not getting any low frequency absorption. So to my disappointment, after purchasing 12 pieces of 703 and building them at 2" I think that I may have built something not to it's fullest potential. If you do not mind, what is the best thickness to use for bass traps, and broadband absorbers, and should we drill holes on the sides or not. Please can you clarify these questions. thanks

-cliff
you made them 2" thick? That sucks man, sorry to hear about that. You really want to make them 4" to 6". It is pretty easy, the thicker you make them the better it is going to work.
As far as drilling the holes on the sides, I would recommend doing it, not only does the front pick up sound but the sides do also. So drilling the holes is going to help with the performance with the bass trap. But with that said if it is to much of a pain in the butt then just frame them up and call it the day. It will still work without the holes.

Glenn
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Rich,

> My name is meant to drip with sarcasm. It doesn't always work. <

It works fine - now that you explained it!

> I look forward to hearing some of your string work soon. <

Thanks. I'm working on a new music/video project now that promises to be pretty slammin' if I can ever find the time to finish it.

--Ethan
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicvalley View Post
So where is the best place to get Owens Corning 705? Home Depot or something? Where so I start looking?
You are not going to find 705 in Home Depot. Try to see if you have a SPI in your area.

Glenn
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Cliff,

Quote:
So to my disappointment, after purchasing 12 pieces of 703 and building them at 2" I think that I may have built something not to it's fullest potential.
Glenn and I were typing at the same time. heh

All is not lost. If you can stuff the triangle shaped corner behind the traps fully with fluffy fiberglass, that will help. Or double up the panels with the additional piece in the rear so you can use less effort to hide the seam.

--Ethan
Gear Guru

good point Ethan.. Yes stuff the back of them with the fluffy stuff... thumbsup

Glenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie View Post
You are not going to find 705 in Home Depot. Try to see if you have a SPI in your area.

Glenn
what is an SPI? I am in the Northwest US. I have not heard of SPI either, is there any other suggestions? online perhaps?
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicvalley View Post
what is an SPI? I am in the Northwest US. I have not heard of SPI either, is there any other suggestions? online perhaps?
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/101748-oc-705-a.html
has a few places you could (or should not) check out.
Lives for gear

http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolati...lation_mfi.asp

The place I ordered some from even offered free shipping on it.
Old 5th January 2007 | Show parent
Gear Head

How would I go about treating a tracking room, very small cielings, about 7 feet high, etc etc etc your standard basement room, what would I need and how much, I'll take pictures soon for your viewing pleasure.
Gear Guru

It really depends on your room size and what the room is being used for. Right off the bat I would say that with 7 foot ceilings it is going to be tough to track drums in there.
List the room size and maybe pictures and lets see what maybe we could all come up with.

Glenn
Lives for gear

Interesting thread and very informative, too. I'm a satisfied Real Traps owner and can't praise them enough! Room treatment is probably the single most important investment to improve your mixes and money well spent.

I'd also like to give kudos to Ethan and Glenn, for being some of the most helpful people here on Gearslutz. These guys know what they're talking about and even though both are selling acoustic panels, they always put alot of effort into helping other people to build their own stuff! thumbsup
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by el cochino View Post
Interesting thread and very informative, too. I'm a satisfied Real Traps owner and can't praise them enough! Room treatment is probably the single most important investment to improve your mixes and money well spent.

I'd also like to give kudos to Ethan and Glenn, for being some of the most helpful people here on Gearslutz. These guys know what they're talking about and even though both are selling acoustic panels, they always put alot of effort into helping other people to build their own stuff! thumbsup
Thank you sir.. We honestly do try to help out people even though they may be building them. Trust me when I say this "We are not in this for the money, but spreading the word of what is most important, ACOUSTICS". Well I do have to eat, but you know what I mean.

Glenn
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Cliff,

Quote:
How would I go about treating a tracking room, very small cielings, about 7 feet high
The goals for treating a tracking room are similar to a control room - bass trapping in the corners to reduce boominess and make microphone position less critical for bass instruments, and mid/high frequency absorption on various surfaces to control flutter echo and comb filtering. A low ceiling is not the end of the world. It requires more absorption coverage, and especially above places you'll use overhead microphones. If you think about it, a ceiling that absorbs 100 percent is acoustically equal to a ceiling that's infinitely high. Either way, whatever goes up does not come back. But you need absorption that's effective to as low and as high a frequency as possible.

--Ethan
Gear Guru

Ethan is right a ceiling that absorbs 100 would be the same as high ceilings, but it is not easy, so do your research and make sure you do it right. The other problem you can run into (which you can work around) is getting the mic up far enough to get a good sound after putting panels on the ceiling. It is just a limitation you may have, but if you work it out right you can do it.

Glenn
Old 23rd May 2008 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Should i have ply backs on my panels??

I've made 11 2x4 4inch thick panels filled with 4inch rockwool, I Covered them in fabric and mounted 4inches off the wall but i've made them with 1/8inch ply backs panels should i remove back panels so they are just rockwool in frames?????
📝 Reply