The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio construction...cable advice
Old 24th February 2006
Gear Head

Studio construction...cable advice

So, I am taking a (small) plunge.
An apartment came available near our house and I decided to rent it so I had a dedicated space taht wasn't just a room in the family house. Now this is Japan, but it is 30 square meters, with 2 rooms.

The bonus. A friends mother is giving me their Yamaha sound proof room because their daughter no longer plays piano and they want it out of the house. It is completely sealed, has a nice window, and all that. There is also a ligh, fan, and 1 plug-in jack inside. I realised though...how do I get the cables in when I want to record something.

I called yamaha and they said they could add the cables when they rebuilt it in the new space.

So the question. What do I need in the wall? It is a 1 time build and no real option to add more later. It is going to be a small space, so don't see needing more than 6 mics at any one time. Also monitoring, etc needs to be considered.

I was looking at a Peavy Audio Link, but they have a fan in them and I don't want the noise.

Would something like this work or is just a snake of cables a better option? I would have to add something for the monitoring to the snake though right?

Thanks for any suggestions and tips you may have.
Attached Thumbnails
Studio construction...cable advice-multilink124.jpg   Studio construction...cable advice-zxlr800.jpg  
Old 24th February 2006
Gear Addict

the magic piece of gear for this task is called ... a drill.

have fun
chris rival
middleville studio
Old 24th February 2006
Gear Head

But if I drill holes in the sound proof room, which is a prefab deal...the Yamaha gents will put it together, and it is apperently pretty well sealed, hence the sound proofing, wont this open up holes that will let the noise out. From what I have read even the smallest breaches will make a pretty big difference? They said that they can add cables if I prep them before they bring it by, so I think they place it into the walls of the room.

Am I mistaken here?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search