The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
small vocalbooth acoustic
Old 23rd February 2006
Lives for gear

small vocalbooth acoustic

i have to build a bedroom studio style vocalbooth in my flat, with most possibly small dimensions. this sketch is my first layout. insulationmaterial is 8 cm rockwool between the studs, i can double that with more layers. my main questions would be:

is it possible to go even smaller without geting worsend results, or what is a minimum size it should have.

vocalbooth at that size are mostly dead or are there any other concepts with reflecting materials.

thank you all...
Attached Thumbnails
small vocalbooth acoustic-booth-02.jpg  
Old 24th February 2006
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

> is it possible to go even smaller without geting worsend results <

Sure. Make the booth totally dead down to at least 200 Hz or so with absorption two or more inches thick on every wall and on the ceiling.

--Ethan
Old 25th February 2006
Lives for gear

thank you ethan!
Old 25th February 2006
Lives for gear

nice design.

what kind of materials are you using?

what are thoses wedge pieces behind the panels
Old 25th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff16years
nice design.

what kind of materials are you using?

what are thoses wedge pieces behind the panels

my first idea obout this was to make angled walls like in a recording room, but now i know its stupid because the whole room will be dead anyway...
Old 25th February 2006
ILL
Gear Maniac

It would be nice if you made a build thread when you start doing it.
Old 26th February 2006
vocal booth

Please let me know what you find out, small damped is a lot different then a bit larger..
Buiild as large and damped as you can fit.. /Toby
Old 26th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattssons
Please let me know what you find out, small damped is a lot different then a bit larger..
Buiild as large and damped as you can fit.. /Toby
interesting...could you say something about the diferences? and do you think these dimensions (2,2 x 1,6 x 2 meters) are big enough?
Old 26th February 2006
Lives for gear

I have one a little bigger than this and works fine.
Anyway, avoid a square shape and parallell walls as much as posssible, maybe you have more vertical space so you can build it taller and use the upper space for absotion/diffusion.
Cunsider building at least 1 Skyline style wall and DO NOT use pyramidal foam, avoid it as hell!!
If you plan to "live" there a lot of time use light colors and maybe place a mirror inside...and a window would be nice!!

I was going to build one myself but then found a secondhand commercial booth online, you might want to try the used market, mine is made by http://studiobox.de/ and it's above everything i could ever do myself!!

good luck
Old 26th February 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by shangoe
my first idea obout this was to make angled walls like in a recording room, but now i know its stupid because the whole room will be dead anyway...

Still make them angled because it won't be completely dead, especially in the lows where the angling makes most difference.

Also note that rockwool doesn't really INSULATE but it does absorb. for insulation try aything with a high density, or if ou can afford it something like auralex's sheetblock I have found to be great (actually I use a similar product, but sheetblock is the american equiv.).

narco
Old 26th February 2006
Gear Maniac

I use a vocalbooth (from vocalbooth.com) which is only 1.2 X 1.2 m and I'm actually quite happy with it. The biggest disadvantage to go that small is that you need to open the door and let some air in between every take. It came with an AC but it was kinda pointless as it's way to loud and wouldn't help much anyway for energic vocal takes...

Believe it or not but I'm recording acoustic guitars in there too but I have to do ALOT of tweaking to get an acceptable sound, though in my opinion the choice of guitar is even more important. I start to learn how to work around what I have...

I also mic cabinets in there and with a powersoak (from THD) it makes it possible to record heavy guitars with no neighbours complaining!

Good luck and looking forward to see how you proceed!!!
Old 27th February 2006
Gear Addict

I use a small vocal booth for recording accoutic guitars. What works well is a lute hole for the guitar. It cuts the low end so it isn't so boomy in a small room and doesn't change the sound of the guitar you are recording.

http://www.lutehole.com/
Old 27th February 2006
RAH
Gear Maniac

This might be a silly question but is there anywhere on the web (or any software) that i can get to work out diffraction/absorbtion surface areas for a vocal booth if i input the dimentions of the booth i am building?

Cheers

RAH
Old 27th February 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymusic
I use a small vocal booth for recording accoutic guitars. What works well is a lute hole for the guitar. It cuts the low end so it isn't so boomy in a small room and doesn't change the sound of the guitar you are recording.

http://www.lutehole.com/
That's interesting! Thanx for the link!!!
Old 27th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH
This might be a silly question but is there anywhere on the web (or any software) that i can get to work out diffraction/absorbtion surface areas for a vocal booth if i input the dimentions of the booth i am building?

Cheers

RAH
go here and talk to Ethan. he has specific measuring procedures

http://www.realtraps.com/
Old 27th February 2006
RAH
Gear Maniac

Cheers,

Will check it out!

Old 27th February 2006
RAH
Gear Maniac

That link doesn't seem to work
Old 27th February 2006
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

> That link doesn't seem to work <

Yeah, I've become a victim of my own success. A while back I made a cello video and put it on my personal site which is shared with the RealTraps site. But word has spread and now thousands of people are viewing it every day and telling others. Yesterday alone it was downloaded almost 9,000 times. All that traffic overloaded my web host's computers and shut down both my personal site and the RealTraps site, plus the sites of many of my host's other customers. The sites are still down at this moment, and the entire crew at my hosting company is in a meeting trying to figure out what to do! So on one hand I'm flattered, but on the other I'm very upset because my business depends on the web site.

Hopefully it will be back up shortly.

--Ethan
Old 28th February 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH

Cheers

RAH
Maybe this is along the lines of what you're looking for...?

good luck with your booth!
Old 28th February 2006
RAH
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the link but i was talking more about a D.I.Y approach....software or something that can give me mathamatical guidelines if i input dimentions.

Something like this probably doesn't exist but was just wondering if anyone knew?

Cheers
Old 28th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shangoe
interesting...could you say something about the diferences? and do you think these dimensions (2,2 x 1,6 x 2 meters) are big enough?
Yeah. I'm used to feet, not meters, but as i think about it, that should be large enough. I'm guessing 2.2 would be your height then? If you can fit it underneath your ceiling, i would make it as tall as possible just so artist doesn't feel cramped. But for us with the base 12 measurement system, that's at least a little over five feet by a little over six feet for floor dimensions if it's 1.6 x 2. That is certainly large enough for vocalists and amp cabinets and whatnot. Probably won't fit a drummer in there, of course.

My Opinion: yes you could go smaller, though at that point i would think about angling the walls. Yes, even if they're dead. If you can do it i would, you can squeeze a little more space and make the inside feel a bit more spacious. And i don't think you'll have flutter problems, but it couldn't hurt to be safe. Plus, that gives you angles surfaces outside, so in your control room, you now have an angled reflective surface. purely my $.02 though, i base this only on my opinion and not really any evidence. Just what i would do.
Old 1st March 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH
Thanks for the link but i was talking more about a D.I.Y approach....software or something that can give me mathamatical guidelines if i input dimentions.

Something like this probably doesn't exist but was just wondering if anyone knew?

Cheers
I have heard of such programs, but they are VERY expensive and only used by pro acousticians.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search