The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Add wood slats to face of bass trap to retain some reflectivity? Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 18th May 2011
Lives for gear

I may be missing it. What is the height of the of the monitors? I am wondering if they are located in a vertical ull.

Andre
Old 18th May 2011
Lives for gear

4'5" to tweeter center, 3'10" to woofer center. Ceiling above cloud (cement) is 8'8".

seems to be just the left speaker with this null. But???

Avare,

What does thou say?
The wall behind the speaker. Is it (A) front wall or (B) back wall?

Thank you.

-rich
Old 18th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
I may be missing it. What is the height of the of the monitors? I am wondering if they are located in a vertical ull.

Andre
I just reread this....Height and "vertical null". Would height refer to a horizontal null?

I centered mix area in room (width wise) off about an inch or two (actually, this speaker "left" is in the lesser half).
Old 18th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritelec View Post
I just reread this....Height and "vertical null". Would height refer to a horizontal null?
If the speaker is located vertically in a null, the speaker will not have any re-enforcement by the room at the null frequency.

Andre
Old 21st May 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks avare,

What might cause a vertical null in one speaker and not in the other if they are basically located in the same spots from front wall and side wall.

I've moved the left speaker around within it's left area boundaries and the null relocates anywhere from 65Hz to 90Hz.

I would locate a spare 6" roxul (2.5 density) trap at different positions around the speaker (even strait in front of the speaker), between the left speaker and the left wall had the only effect.
It has a positive effect, more or less, depending on being closer to the speaker or closer to the wall (closer to the speaker proves more positive).
Without the trap between the speaker and wall, I shielded the mic with a piece of plywood from that direction with no improved null measurement. I took several measurements working my way around the mic with the plywood and received a positive result when the plywood was between the mic and just to the left of the right speaker.

Will there always be a null at some frequency in the mix position? To get rid of these nulls would little pieces of trap and wood have to be hanging or placed through out (doesn't sound right).

I will continue to work on it, thank you for any suggestions, and hope soon to say I killed it and be talking about slats.

-rich
Old 21st May 2011
Lives for gear

Man oh Man,

Going this way and a that, speakers and mic......not expectable,

Do you guys get paid by the hour when you do this? And how do you cover yourselves if the room just doesn't work out?

plugging along!
Old 21st May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritelec View Post
Man oh Man,

Going this way and a that, speakers and mic......not expectable,

Do you guys get paid by the hour when you do this? And how do you cover yourselves if the room just doesn't work out?
One, take notes when moving speakers/microphones to determine which surfaces are significant.

Two, determine in advance what can and can not be done with the space, budget and other restrictions.

Three, do it in a fraction of the time the customer would take to do it, by knowing what is going on. IOW education and training.

Andre
Old 21st May 2011
Lives for gear

TY for the support Andre.
Old 22nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Modal null. RED- Speaker bottom left floor facing into corner, mic top right ceiling facing into corner. PURP- Speaker facing into room, mic facing into corner.

Mic facing out into room was basically the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Add wood slats to face of bass trap to retain some reflectivity?-red-spk-mic-out-purp-spk-out-mic-.jpg  
Old 22nd May 2011
Gear addict

Waterfall?

You should capture in the other direction too, since the left wall has an opening.
Old 22nd May 2011
Lives for gear

I will have to do that measurement. Although since I'm F'd with this vacuum on that left. ??? Here's the WF's.
Attached Thumbnails
Add wood slats to face of bass trap to retain some reflectivity?-red-spk-facing-mic-facing-out-.jpg   Add wood slats to face of bass trap to retain some reflectivity?-purp-spk-facing-out-mic-facing-out.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search