The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mitch Lowen Acoustic Treatment Progress -> PICTURES!!!
Old 9th February 2006
Gear Nut

Mitch Lowen Acoustic Treatment Progress -> PICTURES!!!

As some, and now all :D, of y'all know.. I'm focused on the acoustic treatment of my room. Here's some pics of the progress!!!

Next up:

* 300 cm long 100 cm high 6 cm thick plates (3cm board + 3cm acoustic foam) on both sidewalls.

* Bass traps consisting of board (see pics for material), isolation material and acoustic foam. Size of traps: 50 cm long 200 cm high 9cm thick plates!! I'ma hang these on the side of the backwall (240 high wall)

* In between the bass traps above the couch 100 cm long x 50 cm high
6 cm thick plates (3cm board + 3cm acoustic foam) @ monitor height.

T H E P I C T U R E S

1. Table, mixer, monitors on speakerstands symetrical in front of curtain
2. Table etc. + curtain and part of sidewall
3. Dynaudio BM5's on SELF-BUILT speakerstands (MDF filled with sand)
4. Distance between back monitors and curtain
5. Sidewall LEFT of mixing position 6. Sidewall RIGHT of mixing position
7. Top corner above LEFT sidewall door
8. Board + 4 feet for gear (synths + outboard + PC monitor)
Board + acoustic foam for sidewall plates. This + 3cm isolation material in between = bass traps for backwall.

Could y'all be so cool to use the number in front of the pic when talking about a pic aight!?

Wanna get y'all feedback, comments and even questions :P

THANX guys!
Old 9th February 2006
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Lowen
As some, and now all :D, of y'all know.. I'm focused on the acoustic treatment of my room. Here's some pics of the progress!!!

Next up:

* 300 cm long 100 cm high 6 cm thick plates (3cm board + 3cm acoustic foam) on both sidewalls.

* Bass traps consisting of board (see pics for material), isolation material and acoustic foam. Size of traps: 50 cm long 200 cm high 9cm thick plates!! I'ma hang these on the side of the backwall (240 high wall)

* In between the bass traps above the couch 100 cm long x 50 cm high
6 cm thick plates (3cm board + 3cm acoustic foam) @ monitor height.

T H E P I C T U R E S

1. Table, mixer, monitors on speakerstands symetrical in front of curtain
2. Table etc. + curtain and part of sidewall
3. Dynaudio BM5's on SELF-BUILT speakerstands (MDF filled with sand)
4. Distance between back monitors and curtain
5. Sidewall LEFT of mixing position 6. Sidewall RIGHT of mixing position
7. Top corner above LEFT sidewall door
8. Board + 4 feet for gear (synths + outboard + PC monitor)
Board + acoustic foam for sidewall plates. This + 3cm isolation material in between = bass traps for backwall.

Could y'all be so cool to use the number in front of the pic when talking about a pic aight!?

Wanna get y'all feedback, comments and even questions :P

THANX guys!
The best thing you could do for you room would be to build bass traps out of corning owens 703 for your corners. I have a pretty small room and hooking these things up worked wonders for my bass response. I built mine 8 feet tall for the corners of the room and a few 4 foot panels for the ceilings and walls.

I've since added some LENRD traps to my ceiling to compliment the 703 traps. here's a shot of the corner bass trap. I paid about 70 bucks for 12 panels of 703 fiberglass and after much research am convinced it's the most effective stuff to use.

Seems like you are on the right track.
Old 9th February 2006
Gear Nut

hmm...

Mitch, did you read my reply to your other post? Like I said, and Dor also said here, building bass traps made of rigid fiberglass slanting the room corners at 45 degree angle is by far the cheapest, easiest and most effective bass trapping you can get for small rooms.

Could you explain what kind of bass trapping you were planning to build, and where you got the theory behind it? Isolation + board sounds like a tuned panel trap to me, but 3 cm thick board is gonna be dead stiff and wont swallow any useful frequencies.
Old 9th February 2006
Lives for gear

Hi Mitch,

Haven't had a chance to look at your pictures but I would say, before you do anything, go here:Acouctics Forum
And here: Bob Gold - About 3/4 down the page to DIY projects.

Maybe you already have?

Anyway, good luck.

R.
Old 9th February 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor
The best thing you could do for you room would be to build bass traps out of corning owens 703 for your corners. I have a pretty small room and hooking these things up worked wonders for my bass response. I built mine 8 feet tall for the corners of the room and a few 4 foot panels for the ceilings and walls.

I've since added some LENRD traps to my ceiling to compliment the 703 traps. here's a shot of the corner bass trap. I paid about 70 bucks for 12 panels of 703 fiberglass and after much research am convinced it's the most effective stuff to use.

Seems like you are on the right track.
Yo it looks good. I'm looking at that construction for the corners of my room.
My problem: the backwall -> the right side.. there's a door. Placing something at 45 degrees = I can't open the door properly!

1) What can I do!?!?

2) How thick are the traps?
3) What material did you use for the outside?

4) Are acoustic foam panels on the sidewalls necessarry/effective?

Yo ur room looks hot.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search