The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I finally woke up. Hung up curtains + bought material for acoustic treatment!!
Old 6th February 2006
  #1
Gear Nut
 
Mitch Lowen's Avatar
 

Question I finally woke up. Hung up curtains + bought material for acoustic treatment!!

Many experts on here (+ my homeboy) have finally achieved the seemingly impossible:

waking me up. Seriously - I've been acting like a sleeping idiot for years.

After asking ignorant questions like 'Should I keep my BM5's or buy new KRK RP6's??' while my room is an acoustic hell and talking about changing my room I finally had it with myself this saturdaymorning and thought: f-ck it - ACTION!

I measured my room, my monitors and height of ears in ideal listening position.

So far I did the following:

1) I hung up curtains with my brother in front of the wall that I face when mixing. Believe it or not.. my super mom actually had bags with perfect curtains laying in our storage room!!! All I did was bought the rails, plugs and screws!!!

2) I centered my table + mixer 100% in the middle of the curtain

At the local 'Home Depot' I bought the following

3) I bought eight acoustic foam panels for the sidewalls. Size: 100 cm long x 80 cm height x +/- 8 cm thick

4) I had twelve 25l x 25w x 2,4h CM (1 inch = +/- 3cm) pieces of wood (MDF) custom cut to build 29cm tall speaker stands. 6 pieces of wood per stand.

5) I bought very fine (less air!) sand to fill up the speakersstands.

6) I bought 4 new tablefeet for the board with all the equipment. This so I could center the table. The table + board used to be attached. Now I can use them seperately.

7) I bought a gang of screws

8) I bought doublesided tape for the acoustic foam

Tonight I'm going to do the following:

- Build the speaker stands
- Attach the feet to the board
- Hang up the acoustic foam on the sidewalls
- Remove big closet from backwall
- Put couch opposite of monitors

Question:

I wanna hang the acoustic foam on the sidewalls to stop the early reflections. I'm not going to cover the entire wall. I want to hang foam so that my ear is in the middle of it (as far as height) just like the middle of my monitors'll be on middle of my ear height. That will live 40cm above my ear and 40 cm below my ear of acoustic foam on each side of the wall (across the entire sidewalls) (minus the door that's on the left wallside totally opposite of the monitors).

Is what I want to do (hang up acoustic foam like this with doublesided tape) what I have to do OR should I put like isolation material between the wall and the acoustic foam?

I have a million more questions since I have to build bass traps for the backwall (that'll have a couch against it tonight) but more on that later.

Pictures will be put in this thread (or a new one) tonight!

PICTURES of my OLD situation.

FLY's studio 1There's a curtain hanging in front of the entire window-wall now.

FLY's studio 2The table + mixer are both 100% in the middle of the curtain now.

FLY's studio 3This closet will be taken out the room tonight. It will be replaced by a couch which will be in the exact middle of the wall (opposite the monitors!)

I'm excited about the thought of being able to hear my mixes as they REALLY are. And taking action vs. asking ignorant questions feels 100.000 better. My girl even went along to help buy materials and luckily my brother's a how-to-hang-up-curtains expert!!!

Aight. I'd love to get an answer on the question I asked and all general comments are more than welcome.
Old 6th February 2006
  #2
Moderator
 
matt thomas's Avatar
Hang the foam out from the walls if you can, it will be affective down to lower frequencies. the same distance out as the average depth of the foam (sounds like 4cm then) . this is not necessary if too difficult.

have a friend hold a mirror against the wall and you site in your listening position. Where ever you can see the speakers in the mirror hang foam there.

If you are gong to make sand filled speaker stands out of mdf (!) make sure all the joins are fixed solidly. I would glue and screw them (not nail)

look at ethan winers forum for bass trap design. (he will probably answer this post anyway, he usually does!)


narco
Old 6th February 2006
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
s-boogie's Avatar
 

MITCH!

ACTION!
post pics of the changes,please.
your old studio had quite some gear
...but it looked rudimentary!
ACTION!

what about the computer and the soundcard?
Old 6th February 2006
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Knox's Avatar
 

don't feel bad . . .you aren't alone. I will help some young guy at his home studio and I do my best to explain that gear can do very little good in an acoustic nightmare of a square box. But they want to contine buying gear not treatment for their room. Usually they come around at some point and are always amazed in the difference. Hope it does you well.
Old 6th February 2006
  #5
Gear Nut
 
Mitch Lowen's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
Hang the foam out from the walls if you can, it will be affective down to lower frequencies. the same distance out as the average depth of the foam (sounds like 4cm then) . this is not necessary if too difficult.
How? What type of 4cm material do I put against the wall first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
have a friend hold a mirror against the wall and you site in your listening position. Where ever you can see the speakers in the mirror hang foam there.
This I do not get. Where does the friend stand (haha 'the friend') and do I look over my shoulder.. I mean. I don't get this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
If you are gong to make sand filled speaker stands out of mdf (!) make sure all the joins are fixed solidly. I would glue and screw them (not nail)
Yes I am buying glue and a handdrill tonight. Already have the screws.
MDF was adviced to me by the guy who custom cut the MDF panels. Is MDF not good (hence your '!')??

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
look at ethan winers forum for bass trap design. (he will probably answer this post anyway, he usually does!)
Yea I did that. I'm going to read that in total tonight. Is this an option for the backwall:

1) couch in the middle of wall opposite monitors
2) put 2 layers of isolation material (not the yellow stuff, but the compressed colored stuff) everywhere (except where the couch is ofcourse)
3) put acoustic foam on top of the 2 layers

Definitely - pics'll be posted tonight!!
Old 6th February 2006
  #6
Gear Nut
 
Mitch Lowen's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-boogie
what about the computer and the soundcard?
When finishing the room, that is my next mission.

I realize I don't need 500Gb of hard drive space now. I also realize that 2 CLEAN recording channels and a strong DAW (e.g. Lynx 2 soundcard + RME a/d convertor + Logic 5) is WAY smarter than upgrading the living daylight out of my PC.. and tracking into a 24-bit soundcard through my old analogue mixer.. and working with Logic 4.1).

Another option Im considering thanx to Napalm (also on GS) = Apple G4 double or G5 single + Logic 7 + good A/D convertor (like Presonus FireFox) and tracking directly into the MAC through firewire.

My feeling leans more towards a Strong PC + A/D + good soundcard tho. One thing I don't like about the MAC is that the plug-ins are RIDICULOUSLY expensive.. and that there's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more VST plug-ins, soft-synths etc. even for free (legally!). I don't work with huge, big studios constantly and even if I did.. that's no problem. Once tracked I can burn all .wav files and upload in anything anyway. Whatta u think?



WHOEVER READING THIS -> READ POST ABOVE THIS TOO!!! :D
Old 6th February 2006
  #7
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
sounds like to me you are on your way, but you really need to put bass trapping in that room.. All the things you talked about will help, but bass trapping is the most important part of doing a room.. Basically you need to use rigid fiberglass in all corners of the room.. 4" is best straddling corners..

Glenn


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Lowen
Many experts on here (+ my homeboy) have finally achieved the seemingly impossible:

waking me up. Seriously - I've been acting like a sleeping idiot for years.

After asking ignorant questions like 'Should I keep my BM5's or buy new KRK RP6's??' while my room is an acoustic hell and talking about changing my room I finally had it with myself this saturdaymorning and thought: f-ck it - ACTION!

I measured my room, my monitors and height of ears in ideal listening position.

So far I did the following:

1) I hung up curtains with my brother in front of the wall that I face when mixing. Believe it or not.. my super mom actually had bags with perfect curtains laying in our storage room!!! All I did was bought the rails, plugs and screws!!!

2) I centered my table + mixer 100% in the middle of the curtain

At the local 'Home Depot' I bought the following

3) I bought eight acoustic foam panels for the sidewalls. Size: 100 cm long x 80 cm height x +/- 8 cm thick

4) I had twelve 25l x 25w x 2,4h CM (1 inch = +/- 3cm) pieces of wood (MDF) custom cut to build 29cm tall speaker stands. 6 pieces of wood per stand.

5) I bought very fine (less air!) sand to fill up the speakersstands.

6) I bought 4 new tablefeet for the board with all the equipment. This so I could center the table. The table + board used to be attached. Now I can use them seperately.

7) I bought a gang of screws

8) I bought doublesided tape for the acoustic foam

Tonight I'm going to do the following:

- Build the speaker stands
- Attach the feet to the board
- Hang up the acoustic foam on the sidewalls
- Remove big closet from backwall
- Put couch opposite of monitors

Question:

I wanna hang the acoustic foam on the sidewalls to stop the early reflections. I'm not going to cover the entire wall. I want to hang foam so that my ear is in the middle of it (as far as height) just like the middle of my monitors'll be on middle of my ear height. That will live 40cm above my ear and 40 cm below my ear of acoustic foam on each side of the wall (across the entire sidewalls) (minus the door that's on the left wallside totally opposite of the monitors).

Is what I want to do (hang up acoustic foam like this with doublesided tape) what I have to do OR should I put like isolation material between the wall and the acoustic foam?

I have a million more questions since I have to build bass traps for the backwall (that'll have a couch against it tonight) but more on that later.

Pictures will be put in this thread (or a new one) tonight!

PICTURES of my OLD situation.

FLY's studio 1There's a curtain hanging in front of the entire window-wall now.

FLY's studio 2The table + mixer are both 100% in the middle of the curtain now.

FLY's studio 3This closet will be taken out the room tonight. It will be replaced by a couch which will be in the exact middle of the wall (opposite the monitors!)

I'm excited about the thought of being able to hear my mixes as they REALLY are. And taking action vs. asking ignorant questions feels 100.000 better. My girl even went along to help buy materials and luckily my brother's a how-to-hang-up-curtains expert!!!

Aight. I'd love to get an answer on the question I asked and all general comments are more than welcome.
Old 6th February 2006
  #8
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox
don't feel bad . . .you aren't alone. I will help some young guy at his home studio and I do my best to explain that gear can do very little good in an acoustic nightmare of a square box. But they want to contine buying gear not treatment for their room. Usually they come around at some point and are always amazed in the difference. Hope it does you well.
hey Knox,

I have heard so many great things about your place.. Would you mind if I stopped in sometime?? I got to see it to believe it!!!

Glenn
Old 6th February 2006
  #9
One with big hooves
 
Jay Kahrs's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Lowen
This I do not get. Where does the friend stand (haha 'the friend') and do I look over my shoulder.. I mean. I don't get this.
Dig it.

Set the gear up & get the montiors to where ever there gonna live. Get a mirror and place it against the wall about 1/2 or maybe 2/3's of the way back and look for the monitors in the mirror...if you can see them then you need to stick some "foam" or other acoustic treatment there. You don't need to go lower then 40" from the floor, having it in the 4-7 foot 'window' should take care of the job in theory.

While your at it I'd consider adding treatment to the back wall of either the absorbtive or diffusive variety. That'll help to take care of things hitting the rear wall and getting reflected right back to you at mix position. Try to leave at least a foot or a foot & a half between the back of your monitors and the wall. It'll make it easier to get back if you need to but really it's to the prevent low-end buildup that occurs with boundries. Putting some treatment on the ceiling right over the mix postion will help a lot too.

Move slowly and keep listening to the changes that are taking place with the rooms tone...it should slowly get drier and tighter. It's the first step into a larger world, but man...is it ever an important one!
Old 7th February 2006
  #10
Moderator
 
matt thomas's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Lowen
How? What type of 4cm material do I put against the wall first?
Make some kind of spacers, a wooden frame maybe? there is more energy to absorb just out from the wall than on the wall iteslf. Leave an airgap behind the foam or fill the gap with insulation batts.

Quote:

This I do not get. Where does the friend stand (haha 'the friend') and do I look over my shoulder.. I mean. I don't get this.
You sit in your listening position. Your speakers are in their position. "the friend" holds a mirror against the wall and moves it around. Whenever you can see the speakers in the mirror you need to place foam in that place (where the mirror is). Most importantly is the side walls half way between you and the speakers, and the ceiling halfway to sthe speakers. Less important are the back walls (es look over your shoulder) and the front walls behind the speakers.

Quote:

Yes I am buying glue and a handdrill tonight. Already have the screws.
MDF was adviced to me by the guy who custom cut the MDF panels. Is MDF not good (hence your '!')??
MDF will work well if it is sufficiently deadened with your sand. (and maybe braces if you have any left overs?)

narco
Old 7th February 2006
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Alexi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Lowen
Many experts on here (+ my homeboy) have finally achieved the seemingly impossible:

waking me up. Seriously - I've been acting like a sleeping idiot for years.

After asking ignorant questions like 'Should I keep my BM5's or buy new KRK RP6's??' while my room is an acoustic hell and talking about changing my room I finally had it with myself this saturdaymorning and thought: f-ck it - ACTION!

I measured my room, my monitors and height of ears in ideal listening position.

So far I did the following:

1) I hung up curtains with my brother in front of the wall that I face when mixing. Believe it or not.. my super mom actually had bags with perfect curtains laying in our storage room!!! All I did was bought the rails, plugs and screws!!!

2) I centered my table + mixer 100% in the middle of the curtain

At the local 'Home Depot' I bought the following

3) I bought eight acoustic foam panels for the sidewalls. Size: 100 cm long x 80 cm height x +/- 8 cm thick

4) I had twelve 25l x 25w x 2,4h CM (1 inch = +/- 3cm) pieces of wood (MDF) custom cut to build 29cm tall speaker stands. 6 pieces of wood per stand.

5) I bought very fine (less air!) sand to fill up the speakersstands.

6) I bought 4 new tablefeet for the board with all the equipment. This so I could center the table. The table + board used to be attached. Now I can use them seperately.

7) I bought a gang of screws

8) I bought doublesided tape for the acoustic foam

Tonight I'm going to do the following:

- Build the speaker stands
- Attach the feet to the board
- Hang up the acoustic foam on the sidewalls
- Remove big closet from backwall
- Put couch opposite of monitors

Question:

I wanna hang the acoustic foam on the sidewalls to stop the early reflections. I'm not going to cover the entire wall. I want to hang foam so that my ear is in the middle of it (as far as height) just like the middle of my monitors'll be on middle of my ear height. That will live 40cm above my ear and 40 cm below my ear of acoustic foam on each side of the wall (across the entire sidewalls) (minus the door that's on the left wallside totally opposite of the monitors).

Is what I want to do (hang up acoustic foam like this with doublesided tape) what I have to do OR should I put like isolation material between the wall and the acoustic foam?

I have a million more questions since I have to build bass traps for the backwall (that'll have a couch against it tonight) but more on that later.

Pictures will be put in this thread (or a new one) tonight!

PICTURES of my OLD situation.

FLY's studio 1There's a curtain hanging in front of the entire window-wall now.

FLY's studio 2The table + mixer are both 100% in the middle of the curtain now.

FLY's studio 3This closet will be taken out the room tonight. It will be replaced by a couch which will be in the exact middle of the wall (opposite the monitors!)

I'm excited about the thought of being able to hear my mixes as they REALLY are. And taking action vs. asking ignorant questions feels 100.000 better. My girl even went along to help buy materials and luckily my brother's a how-to-hang-up-curtains expert!!!

Aight. I'd love to get an answer on the question I asked and all general comments are more than welcome.

hey there, you might want to tearn one of those monitors around.........
Old 7th February 2006
  #12
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

everything you are doing is great, and nothing you are doing will have anywhere near the same impact on your acoustics as rigid fiberglass straddling the corners.

bass trapping is 90% of small room treatment. it cannot be understated. less than $200 will get you enough panels to transform your room.


gregoire
del ubik
Old 7th February 2006
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Sanchez's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
.... rigid fiberglass straddling the corners.

Very keen to do something to this hell-hole...could you explain even just a little? ie rigid fibreglass? Panels? foam? Also how would I straddle a corner with this/them?

Many thanks
Old 7th February 2006
  #14
Moderator
 
matt thomas's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez
Very keen to do something to this hell-hole...could you explain even just a little? ie rigid fibreglass? Panels? foam? Also how would I straddle a corner with this/them?

Many thanks
this is all on ethan winers page.

Rigid fibreglass is a type of insulation, normally used for extremely hot situations like around furnaces. you shold be able to get it at an insulation place. I think in america its called 703 or something.

narco
Old 7th February 2006
  #15
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez
Very keen to do something to this hell-hole...could you explain even just a little? ie rigid fibreglass? Panels? foam? Also how would I straddle a corner with this/them?

Many thanks

Sanchez,


"Rigid" fiberglass products are Owens Corning 703 0r 705, or Certainteed 300 , etc. It is NOT foam board, like the pink stuff or the less rigid white stuff. It is not foam at all as a matter of fact. And, many people confuse this.

Here is a photo of some Owens Corning 703 fiberglass acoustical insulation: Owens Corning 703 and Larger view.


This material can be found on the web, through DIY companies, and via local retailers. Wrapping this insulation in breathable fabric and affixing a strap to the fabric to hang it off your wall or in your room corners is an easy option. You want bass traps made of such materials (4" thick) to straddle your four corners because this is where low frequency modes gather. "Trapping" them (then coverted to heat) means you minimize the amount of muddiness you'll experience elsewhere in your room. Less waves bouncing around=a clearer sound picture in your ears. Treating for HF or slap echo on walls adjacent to your listening position will help you additionally to hear that which your music craves, and not a blurred picture of the end result. Treating your room like the one in the diagram shown here is ideal:
Home Studio/ Home Theater application

That image also shows treatment of the early reflection points as well as "straddled" corners mentioned above.


Good luck!
Old 7th February 2006
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Sanchez's Avatar
Great, thanks for that guys...next challenge is to try and find that kind of thing here in Japan
Old 7th February 2006
  #17
Gear Nut
 
Mitch Lowen's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerjoe
"Rigid" fiberglass products are Owens Corning 703 0r 705, or Certainteed 300 , etc. It is NOT foam board, like the pink stuff or the less rigid white stuff. It is not foam at all as a matter of fact. And, many people confuse this.
Wow.. great replies.

OK I'm well under way. Last night me and Napalm built 2 identical speakerstands (!!!!!!) and they are perfect (pictures online TONIGHT!!) We created a setup with perfect symetry as far as mixer placing and monitor placing.

Now:

1) sidewalls - acoustic treatment tonight. Pics online tonight.
2) backwall.

There's a couch in the middle of the backwall. But I need bass traps.

Is the material ISOLATION material, is it yellow and a bit fluffly?
Do I need that + some form of board and put that in all 4 corners of my back wall... or do I just cover the entire wall??? If this is 90% I want to get all info on this and what to buy.. I live in Europe and we don't have 703 or 705.

They do sell yellow isolation material +/- 2,5 inches thick. Is this it?
And do I put some form of wood on top of it while it's directly attached to the corners?
Old 7th February 2006
  #18
Gear Maniac
 

"Is the material ISOLATION material, is it yellow and a bit fluffly?
Do I need that + some form of board and put that in all 4 corners of my back wall... or do I just cover the entire wall??? If this is 90% I want to get all info on this and what to buy.. I live in Europe and we don't have 703 or 705."


It sort of "is" isolation material when used as the manufacturer intended, however it is one of the most common materials acoustical panels are made from. No foam, and no "boards". Just the material, and fabric.

You can see how it is situated in the graphic link above, and the picture I linked to also shows the material itself...

You'll want to wrap the material in breathable fabric with no wood or any thing solid on the back of the panels. I hope this helps!
Old 7th February 2006
  #19
Gear Maniac
 
s-boogie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Lowen

My feeling leans more towards a Strong PC + A/D + good soundcard tho. One thing I don't like about the MAC is that the plug-ins are RIDICULOUSLY expensive.. and that there's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more VST plug-ins, soft-synths etc. even for free (legally!). I don't work with huge, big studios constantly and even if I did.. that's no problem. Once tracked I can burn all .wav files and upload in anything anyway. Whatta u think?
thumbsup
whatever´s clever.
i think your current enthusiasm will guide you towards a nice project studio.
keep us informed!
Old 8th February 2006
  #20
One with big hooves
 
Jay Kahrs's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerjoe
You'll want to wrap the material in breathable fabric with no wood or any thing solid on the back of the panels. I hope this helps!
Having breathable fabric is really key, if it's too dense it'll reflect HF energy right back into the room canceling some of the effectiveness of the panels.
Old 8th February 2006
  #21
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
Having breathable fabric is really key, if it's too dense it'll reflect HF energy right back into the room canceling some of the effectiveness of the panels.
Absolutely correct. And know that fabric with some "stretch" in it, becomes more breathable if the "stretched". As Jay mentioned, thick, solid fabrics, some canvas' do not "breath" at all, and reflect HF back into the room. I like acoustical suede, but this is personal preference.

Find a fabric wholesaler in your area (there are usually at least 1 or 2, and have a look around.
Old 8th February 2006
  #22
Lives for gear
 
dim light's Avatar
 

when i read this thread I feel like eating you... I picture myself on a high horse and you guys are running under me and my horse and I have a big spoon of love catching you little guys running and putting you in my mouth one by one. You are screaming for help but no one is hearing you. When I chew I can hear your bones crack and the sound of you guys screaming are getting absorbed by my mouth.

I see eathan hawk laughing from his acoustic foam of love in a corner bass trap.

Then when the night is over there is a sun shinning and we all feel the love - the warm love of roses touching our souls.

Regards,
Eathan hives II
Old 8th February 2006
  #23
Gear Maniac
 

Eathan,

You are one very interesting poster.

God Bless you.
Old 8th February 2006
  #24
Moderator
 
matt thomas's Avatar
Geat post eathan. too many drugs me thinks, but great post.

The rigid fiberglass out side of america question.

Just ask for high density fibreglass insulation. Many places will try and sell you normal house inuslation, this is NOT the right stuff. Try to find an industrial insulation specialist. Thats were I find it.

The right stuff will have a density rating of between 40 - 120 kg/m3. You'll want about 60 or so. It will also have a corresponding tempertature rating of 450 - 850 degrees celcius. I think (from memory) you want about 650 degrees rating. This is because the material is most often used for insulating furnaces etc, and just happens to work well for acoustic treatment.

the density and "temperature" of the material will be writen on the packaging because these are the primary reasons for its existence.

The right stuff will be sold in sheets with a thicknesses or about 25mm 50 mm 75 mm and 100 mm( 1,2,3, + 4 inches) a sheet will hold its shape when you pick it up because it is "RIGID".

It could be any colour, but normally yellow or green.

It is not acoustic insulation when used by itself, but it is acoustic treatment. Acoustic insulation is another matter that barely relates to treatment.

Narco
Old 8th February 2006
  #25
Gear Nut
 
Mitch Lowen's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
Geat post eathan. too many drugs me thinks, but great post.

The rigid fiberglass out side of america question.

Just ask for high density fibreglass insulation. Many places will try and sell you normal house inuslation, this is NOT the right stuff. Try to find an industrial insulation specialist. Thats were I find it.

The right stuff will have a density rating of between 40 - 120 kg/m3. You'll want about 60 or so. It will also have a corresponding tempertature rating of 450 - 850 degrees celcius. I think (from memory) you want about 650 degrees rating. This is because the material is most often used for insulating furnaces etc, and just happens to work well for acoustic treatment.

the density and "temperature" of the material will be writen on the packaging because these are the primary reasons for its existence.

The right stuff will be sold in sheets with a thicknesses or about 25mm 50 mm 75 mm and 100 mm( 1,2,3, + 4 inches) a sheet will hold its shape when you pick it up because it is "RIGID".

It could be any colour, but normally yellow or green.

It is not acoustic insulation when used by itself, but it is acoustic treatment. Acoustic insulation is another matter that barely relates to treatment.

Narco
Does it look like anything like the stuff rolled up in the picture (ad from local Dutch Home Depot)



So I take that stuff... and then put it something (?) around it. And by putting that against the wall in all 4 corners.. I will have bass traps?
Old 9th February 2006
  #26
Gear Nut
 

no, man... that is fluffy regular insulation, its not dense enough. Rigid fiberglass panels are stiff enough to support themselves, you just have to wrap them in some kind of fabric to keep small particles from getting in to the air.

In europe you should get insulation from Isover or rockwool(roxul). From the ad, I take it you live in the Netherlands, so go to www.isover.nl and get the phone number to them. Call them and ask for 100mm thick fiberglass panels with a density of at least 35kg/m2, and ask where you can get some in your town. Usually places like home depot wont have it, you have to go somewhere where they sell stuff to people who build ventilation ducts, industrial.

If I understood dutch I could point you to a product on the isover page, all I can tell you is that isover in Sweden has a product called VVS-skiva 6335, if you can just find out what that one is called in the Netherlands, you´ll be good...

peace /Arka
Old 9th February 2006
  #27
Gear Nut
 
Jamstudio's Avatar
 

good info

Tnx

Edit :found something

Geluidabsorptie Sonepanel

De geluidabsorptiecoëfficiënt αs (volgens NEN-ISO 354) van 40, 50 en 90 mm:
Frequentie (Hz) 125--250-500-1000 2000 4000 NRC
40 mm -------- 0,34 0,53 0,86 0,85 0,81 0,89 0,75
50 mm -------- 0,24 0,57 0,88 1,01 0,94 0,90 0,85
90 mm -------- 0,74 1,08 1,09 0,97 0,91 0,94 1,00

NRC: Noise Reduction Coefficient volgens ASTM C423
Old 10th February 2006
  #28
Moderator
 
matt thomas's Avatar
yeah, don't mention that you want it for acoustics to them or they will try and sell you all this consumer crap. Most of them don't even know that the rigid rockwool is good for this purpose

narco
Old 10th February 2006
  #29
Gear Nut
 

Thumbs up

that stuff looks good... those 90 mm panels would probably make nice corner traps. Know what density it is?

/Arka


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamstudio
good info

Tnx

Edit :found something

Geluidabsorptie Sonepanel

De geluidabsorptiecoëfficiënt αs (volgens NEN-ISO 354) van 40, 50 en 90 mm:
Frequentie (Hz) 125--250-500-1000 2000 4000 NRC
40 mm -------- 0,34 0,53 0,86 0,85 0,81 0,89 0,75
50 mm -------- 0,24 0,57 0,88 1,01 0,94 0,90 0,85
90 mm -------- 0,74 1,08 1,09 0,97 0,91 0,94 1,00

NRC: Noise Reduction Coefficient volgens ASTM C423
Old 13th February 2006
  #30
Gear Nut
 
Jamstudio's Avatar
 

no density is not noted (wel maybe it is but could not find it @ www.isover.nl )

remco
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump