The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help treating a very small, somewhat cube-ish room Studio Headphones
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Help treating a very small, somewhat cube-ish room

Hi guys,

A few fairly typical noobish issues here about treatment for my one room studio (yeah, I know you guys get this a lot, but the interaction would be of great help to me in understanding all of this). Most the info I come across seems to assume a room quite a bit larger than what I have, so before I do anything or make any decisions, I thought I'd run a layout of the room by you all..

From what I've gathered so far, the best way to tackle a room this size/dimension is with absorption, absorption, absorption. I'd like to have some diffusion for a livelier feel, but I've read that in a room this size that can cause some problems in having the sound reflected too quickly. If it might be possible to make use of some diffusors in here though, where might I place these?

Another thing to mention is that this will be more of a live room than a control room, even though it is a one room studio (thinking I'll send the tracks out to be mixed elsewhere). I may decide to mix at home, but at the moment I want to focus mainly on setting it up for the actual recording.

So basically, if anyone can guide me at all or drop a few opinions as to what the best way to handle this room would be (given what I've mentioned so far) that'd be extremely helpful. Thanks.

Last edited by Transcendence; 4th January 2011 at 11:29 PM.. Reason: Better diagram
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcendentalist View Post
From what I've gathered so far, the best way to tackle a room this size/dimension is with absorption, absorption, absorption.
You gather correct.

Quote:
I'd like to have some diffusion for a livelier feel, but I've read that in a room this size that can cause some problems in having the sound reflected too quickly. If it might be possible to make use of some diffusors in here though, where might I place these?
Diffusors on the rear wall behind you would work well IMO. Along the side walls behind your head is also good, since you plan to record in the same room. Even though you're not doing final mixes there, I assume you'll still have speakers and a DAW etc. In that case, though you failed to show the door, I'd set up the speakers near the top 8'8 wall, facing toward the bottom of the drawing. That gives the room two different depths, which helps the LF response.

--Ethan

Lives for gear

Where in the room are you planning to record, and recording what?

How good/bad is the room? With these few more details we can see what's best for you...
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

I think it will be tricky to employ diffusers successfully in such a small room but if you want to try:

Does my room need diffuser?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/5773541-post9.html
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer
Diffusors on the rear wall behind you would work well IMO. Along the side walls behind your head is also good, since you plan to record in the same room. Even though you're not doing final mixes there, I assume you'll still have speakers and a DAW etc. In that case, though you failed to show the door, I'd set up the speakers near the top 8'8 wall, facing toward the bottom of the drawing. That gives the room two different depths, which helps the LF response.
Thanks for you input!

I posted an updated version of the drawing with windows/doors and a few other things made clearer. The doorway I just left open in the drawing, but there is an actual door there.

I will attempt to make final mixes in this room at the very least, but I'm putting more of a priority on using this room for takes over mixing. At least for now. But being able to do both would be absolutely ideal and I'm willing to do what it takes to get there within $1000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Higgins View Post
Where in the room are you planning to record, and recording what?

How good/bad is the room? With these few more details we can see what's best for you...
I was thinking I would setup to be facing towards the 9' wall across from the window. But in light of Ethan's advice, I might rethink that. I don't know, everything is very conceptual at this point.

I'll be recording vocals, acoustic, and amped electric guitar in here.

Unfortunately, the room is pretty unusable at the moment, as it's kind of a storage space right now. I'm still pretty new to the place I'm living in, and no studio exists in this room as of yet. Over the coming months I'm going to clear it out though and get it ready for some recording, and I understand that room treatment is one of the most essential aspects of this art- so I want to be well prepared to hit the ground running on this project.

Even though I can't comment about any specific issues I'm facing in the room just yet (since it isn't ready for use), the general guidance helps very well. Thanks everyone for the input so far.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Great. Well IMO I'd run an acoustic test once you've got everything in place (and in the right position :P). Then you can see what you need to work on.

A reflexion filter, again, would work well. And I'm considering it for me.

I have a fairly thick (fabric) sheet that I use to cover my keyboard. But I threw that over my mic stand and elec guitar amp once it was set up. I know it isn't a v. pro option but it made the sound less reverberant, so it was slightly clearer and actually didn't make it sound boxy.

Hope it goes well.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search