The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Circular dowels instead of squares for QRD?
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

Circular dowels instead of squares for QRD?

Has anyone seen/made a 2D QRD diffusor with dowels instead of squares? My diffusor will be more decorative than functional (10' x 11' room, you see), so I don't care if the numbers don't crunch according to theory. Still, I'm curious if it's been done.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

i've seen something akin to this in various studio designs. it seems like a funky addition to the aesthetics if nothing else.
Attached Thumbnails
Circular dowels instead of squares for QRD?-random-diffuser-using-cylinders.jpg   Circular dowels instead of squares for QRD?-random-diffuser-using-cylinders-2.jpg  
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullfo View Post
i've seen something akin to this in various studio designs. it seems like a funky addition to the aesthetics if nothing else.
Wouldn't this be pretty expensive ? A 2" dowel (maple ? -> heavy) costs
quite a bit more than a 2x2. Probably more intesting to look at, though.
2D diffusers may throw away useful sound energy in the vertical direction.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulP View Post
Wouldn't this be pretty expensive ?
for some, aesthetics trumps costs...
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru
Yes

jeff, Blackbird Studio Nashville?
Glenn's pic does look cool I must say....
DD
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Hey !! how cool a find! I am also interested to know! What a coincidence!

This x-mas season rendered me with quite a large chunk on wine bottle stoppers made of corks! New place, so I had loads people over. I collected them as I went back for more bottles. Just yesterday I open the last of the batch, looked at them all alligned and thought - hey !! could they ??

cork is absolute crap for absorption, right? or is it for the depth? I can't remember. But anyways...

What about diffusion?

I'm almost done constructing my studio, soundproofing done, acoustics are next, so I'm dipping in this side of GS these days to get inspired. My control room is tiny and will be a huge challange to tame. Appart from huge LF bumps a few inches behind the sweet spot, I get loads of early reflections. So strategically I thought of covering the top and sides of the sweet spot with low profile QRD, and do my best to assasinate the rest, 703 syle.

So basically, yeah, find a cork dealer (very easy over here!) and buy a batch-load of them and do just as in the picture above!! That would be a very cheap option indeed!

What do you guys think?
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut

Well if it's good enough for Blackbird...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
jeff, Blackbird Studio Nashville?
Glenn's pic does look cool I must say....
DD
Shayt! You weren't kidding about Blackbird (Studio C). At least I THINK they're dowels (kinda small to tell), and small ones too. Not QRD to look at it, but who cares. My kind of project.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 4th January 2011
SAC

In the hopes that it helps, here is a summary of the Blackbird diffusors.

One will note the diffusor specifications, including depths of 3 feet and 7 feet EACH, and the number of elements (138,646 & 24,336) for EACH diffusor notwithstanding. If those specs are not sufficient to put one off, you can then expand the first picture to examine the detail of the diffusor and elements 'head on'.

I hope no one's New Year is diminished... but wine corks just 'ain't' going to 'cut it'. heh
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Blackbird Diffusor Summary.s.pdf (748.9 KB, 449 views)
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffspc88mx View Post
Has anyone seen/made a 2D QRD diffusor with dowels instead of squares? My diffusor will be more decorative than functional (10' x 11' room, you see), so I don't care if the numbers don't crunch according to theory. Still, I'm curious if it's been done.
Circles will fill about 4/5'th of the area compared to squares, leaving 1/5'th uncovered as a "zero depth well". If you plan accordingly and make up some sort of design that use it as a feature, you may may may pull it off.

(in plaintext: stick with the established methods unless you're willing to go to extreme length in optimization)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search