The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
bedroom sound treatment and isolation for tracking, monitoring and mixing
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

bedroom sound treatment and isolation for tracking, monitoring and mixing

now moved into a new place
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Addict

edit: now moved into a new place
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

It's a nice size room, compared to a few others around here...

I don't think you'll be able to do much in the way of isolation if you can't modify
the building.

Here's a book that can provide you with a lot of information :
Home Recording Studio: Build It Like the Pros
Foam is not very popular here for sound treatment. At 2" thick it will cut down
your high frequencies and do nothing for the bass. The specs show that it won't
do much below 500hz, but it's quite effective at 2000 hz. Things won't sound right.

If you read three days worth of posts here you'll have a pretty good idea of what
your options are.
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks for the tip! Just reserved the book from the local library, going to pick it up in a couple days. I will have to do more reading through the posts on this forum.

Yes, the NRC rating on the foam is really poor below 500Hz, but I figured it might be better than nothing. I hadn't really thought of what it would sound like across the spectrum though, it probably would throw off the recording/listening if the bass were much louder than the highs.

Unfortunately, not owning this space and only renting it out as a residential spot for one year, I can't do any construction modifications to the room.
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Addict

Slowly working my way through the book....

definitely had a poor idea of what I was doing. I have a lot of rethinking to do, looks like it might be a better idea if I don't try to split my room up in two separate rooms, but instead treat the space as one room for recording good sound, and maybe build any needed isolation from neighbors outside the room along the walls on the porch instead of taking space up inside the room

so far recordings sound pretty good, great on bass, guitar, synths, no issues there...vocals are ok, could use a nice vocal booth...drums have been the hardest to capture, some good sounds but I think my micing technique could use as much work as anything else

haven't tried recording a full band all at once though...that might be another challenge

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search