The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mounting bass traps and panels to unpainted brick walls in an apartment? Dynamics Plugins
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Mounting bass traps and panels to unpainted brick walls in an apartment?

Hey there. I'm going to be making a batch of bass traps and panels to put on a large brick wall. It's a brick wall from the 1800's, and I'm renting, so I'd like to find a way to mount these via some sort of hanger, non-destructively.

I thought about the 3m command hangers but their own web site says they do not work on brick, so unfortunately thats out.

The weight won't be that heavy, I make frameless bass traps and 2" panels. Basically glue two OC 703 panels together, drive eye hooks through them, and wrap in loose weave fabric.

I really don't want to break out masonry drill bits to do this. Any ideas?
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

bricks are pricks

Un-fortunatley the only way to properly mount anything to brick is using masonry bits and those plastic anchors. I recommend drilling the motar parts(the white filling) and not the actual brick. This could easily be re-filled with caulk once you vacate the building. Another method is use the ceiling to anchor and use string or cable to hang your panels. This will also allow your panels to vibrate freely absorbing bass energy.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Just use stands or prop them up against the wall.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
Just use stands or prop them up against the wall.
That's gonna take up quite a few stands...
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

you could make a "stand" that is basically a 2x4 spanning 8'-10' with supports on each end and middle and hang the absorbers off it. optionally place a screw into the back of each base to secure it. or suspend them from the ceiling using wire if that is an option.
Attached Thumbnails
Mounting bass traps and panels to unpainted brick walls in an apartment?-example-freestanding-absorber-support.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

If you are just doing corner traps and they run floor to ceiling just wedge them into place. I built each of mine to fit exactly into the corners of my studio and they are still standing. This also makes it easy to take them down for whatever reason.
If they don't quite reach floor to ceiling you can fill in the difference on the bottom with plywood shims.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

I saw a TV ad today for "Command Adhesive Products" by 3M. It is a putty/velcroe system. They are supposed to be very strong and come off a wall cleanly. I have no idea if they will hold the weight you need, but it might be worth looking into.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretchasketch View Post
I saw a TV ad today for "Command Adhesive Products" by 3M. It is a putty/velcroe system. They are supposed to be very strong and come off a wall cleanly. I have no idea if they will hold the weight you need, but it might be worth looking into.
"I thought about the 3m command hangers but their own web site says they do not work on brick, so unfortunately thats out."
heh
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

What kind of ceiling? If you can put screws in the ceiling then just hang the panels from the ceiling with cabel or fine link chain.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparqee View Post
What kind of ceiling? If you can put screws in the ceiling then just hang the panels from the ceiling with cabel or fine link chain.
It looks like its just sheetrock. Theres a gap where the sheetrock ends and the brick begins of about 1 inch. I worry too much torque right there at the end of the sheetrock might break it off?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I thought about the ceiling hangers too... I ended up making 6 foot tall panels and lean them against the walls.

Did you say you don't want to use masonry nails? when I was in brooklyn and had exposed brick, I always used masonry nails (not the screws you're referring to) and they were great.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroper View Post
It looks like its just sheetrock. Theres a gap where the sheetrock ends and the brick begins of about 1 inch. I worry too much torque right there at the end of the sheetrock might break it off?
Sheetrock is pretty sturdy stuff. If it's attached correctly to the ceiling joists it shouldn't be a problem as long as your screws aren't *right* at the edge.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru

I have not used these in brick but.......................................
OOK | Professional Pictures Hangers

For the ceiling I have used the following. They work pretty darn well.
OOK | Professional Pictures Hangers
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search