The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
rockwool acoustic panels VIDEO...is this correct? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

rockwool acoustic panels VIDEO...is this correct?

i came across this video on youtube....i am thinking about making some panels, this video makes everything seem straight forwards. Is this a suitable way of making panels? I noted he did not leave a gap between the wall and the panel...am i suppose to leave a 2 inch gap?

Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Lightbulb

You should check out some of the other threads in this forum. From what I understand (I haven't built my own traps yet but have been researching it) You'd get a more effective trap if you used rigid fiberglass or rockwool although you would most likely be looking at spending in the neighborhood of double per panel. Who cares if your panels are cheap if they don't do what you need them to do, right?

The rigid fiberglass everyone on here talks about specifically are Owens Corning 703 and 705. 703 has a density of about 3lbs per cubic foot and 705 has a density of about 6lbs per cubic foot. They say that it's primarily the density that will make the material effective for bass trapping.

Based on my limited understanding, the plans in the video you referenced should produce good absorptive panels for high mids and highs, but will probably have little effect as bass traps.

Rigid fiberglass will require more energy to make it flex thereby weakening the bass more effectively.

Hopefully you'll get some attention from one of the really smart guys on here like Ethan Winer. They would be more capable of giving you direction. I'll include a link to his reply in one of my threads as there is a wealth of information in is response to me and I am sure that it could help you.

Go here and look at Ethan Winer's response.

Anyone Recognize These Plans?

good luck man
Old 12th January 2011
Here for the gear

As mentioned, these panels will address about 500 Hz. and up, leaving the the frequencies below untouched. You really want to lower reverberation times so that they result in a controlled and even decay. It's very easy to over-absorb the mids and highs, making the room go from one type of incorrect sound, to another.

Leaving a gap between the exposed back and the wall will increase the Sabin units, or absorption properties. This can work for you, or against you, depending on the existing reverberation times.

Note that the first layer of fabric is rather thick, limiting the absorption characteristics of the rockwool, then they add a second fabric facing, further blocking some frequencies from passing onto the rockwool to be absorbed.
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Guru

Those will work but I would make them 4" or thicker and straddle the corner with them. The ones he built would work fine for early reflection points.
What Are Early Reflection Points. Spotlight on Bob Ebeling - Reflection Studio. GIK Acoustics Articles and Newsletters.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search