The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Treating my room.....Help please Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

Treating my room.....Help please

I need to treat my room, I've been reading and searching for hours, but I still need advice please.
I will have the 2 front corners filled with bass traps, floor to ceiling. But other than that I'm not sure what to do. I have two 2'x4' 4" thick panels, and four 2'x4' 2" thick panels, eight 24"x12"x12" corner foam bass traps, forty eight 12"x12"x2" two inch wedge foam pieces, and twelve 2'x2'x2" 2D diffusers.

I'll attach a pic of the room, and hopefully someone can help me figure out where to place everything. This is a 2 channel listening room, and I would like a wide, deep sound stage with precise imaging and a holographic presence. My gear is capable so no worries there.

Thanks for your time
Attached Thumbnails
Treating my room.....Help please-listening-room.jpg  
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

You need bass traps in as many corners as possible, and rectangle rooms have 12 corners, not just four. Your foam can be used at reflection points. This short article explains the basics in plain English:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

Here for the gear

Thanks for the advice and the link Ethan. I did not however, find much info on where to put the diffusers.

Looking at my room, any thoughts?
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

The classic location for diffusors is on the rear wall behind you, centered at ear level. In a larger room like yours you could add more diffusors on the side walls, but not at reflection points. This video might help:

All About Diffusion

This video shows a smaller room totally loaded up with diffusors (and bass traps too), and you can even hear music recorded with and with the treatment:

Hearing is Believing

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search