The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Perforated Panel Absorber Variables
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Perforated Panel Absorber Variables

Hi, I'm looking at this tutorial and decided to knock up a quick program to make dialling in the variables easier. More specifically, I'm looking at this equation for absorbers with holes:

Freq = 200 x square root of (P/(D x T))

where:
P = perforation percentage (eg, 5%)
D = depth of air space (in inches)
T = PT + 0.8 x HD
where:
PT = panel thickness (in inches)
HD = hole diameter (in inches)

What would you say would be the upper and lower limits for the variables Freq, P, D, T, PT and HD?
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

No need to reinvent the wheel.

Check it out: Porous Absorber Calculator V1.56
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Interesting spreadsheet but I couldn't find out how to calculate for perforated panel absorbers (hole size, perforation ratio, etc.). Is it capable of doing this?
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by technocolour v2 View Post
Interesting spreadsheet but I couldn't find out how to calculate for perforated panel absorbers (hole size, perforation ratio, etc.). Is it capable of doing this?
Absolutely.

Did you realize there are several pages? Each page is devoted to a specific type of absorber: i.e. - porous, perforated panel, and slat.

This calculator is the best on the internet for this application IMHO. It's based on the transfer functions set forth by Trevor Cox and Peter D'Antonio in their joint effort "Acoustic Absorbers and Diffusers: Theory and Application" which I highly recommend if you are serious about designing and building such devices.

Amazon.com: Acoustic Absorbers and Diffusers: Theory, Design and Application (9780415296496): TREVOR COX, Peter D'Antonio: Books

Have fun!

-MM
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Awsome! I didn't notice there was more than one page
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickman View Post
This calculator is the best on the internet for this application IMHO. It's based on the transfer functions set forth by Trevor Cox and Peter D'Antonio in their joint effort "Acoustic Absorbers and Diffusers: Theory and Application" which I highly recommend if you are serious about designing and building such devices.

Amazon.com: Acoustic Absorbers and Diffusers: Theory, Design and Application (9780415296496)
The link is to an older 2004 edition of the book, priced at 191 $US (!!)

There is a newer 2009 edition of the book, priced at 133 $US, still not cheap.

Amazon.com: Acoustic Absorbers and Diffusers: Theory, Design and Application (9780415471749)

I paid about 95 $US new from amazon back in February of this year...
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm looking at building some too. Let us know if you do build them and how it turns out!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

When I think about perforated Acoustic Panels all I can say is that they are made of really good materiala and they look good. Acoustic grooved panels can be used as both sound absorption and decoration panel with perforations on both sides and grooves on face side. The substrate thickness can be 12, 15, and 18mm. There are many standard options available. Acoustic multi grooves wood paneling can also be customized so talk to us for other options. It is available in a 2440x128mm standard size, but the panel size can fully fit any space after installation. For more information on these substrates, please contact them

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search