The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My easy to build wall traps (Photos) Studio Headphones
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

My easy to build wall traps (Photos)

In the middle of making bass traps for a new studio space i'm moving into. Thought i'd post some photos of the construction for anyone to make use of.

Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

wow you rock with the router!!!thumbsup
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
wow you rock with the router!!!thumbsup
Ha....i'm just happy i didn't cut any limbs off !
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

This is what i had in mind. But i cant help think it would be hard work for minimal gain, especially considering the limited tools i have. I'm right to assume that? Anybody ever compared both? I guess not...

Not saying you shouldn't have. Just wondering if it's worth the effort for me. I'm gonna have to do lots of those BTW. Just a few wouldn't bother me.

Last edited by MustacheVerra; 29th December 2010 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustacheVerra View Post
This is what i had in mind. But i cant help think it would be hard work for minimal gain, especially considering the limited tools i have. I'm right to assume that? Anybody ever compared both? I guess not...

Not saying you shouldn't have. Just wondering if it's worth the effort for me. I'm gonna have to do lots of those BTW. Just a few wouldn't bother me.
Why minimal gain ? No reason why that should feel like the case. If you do want to build something similar but reduce the effort or what you might feel is extra hassle then don't bother cutting out the centre sections of the frame. That would mean less absorption of course, but it's definitely the most time consuming part of the process. I reckon it's worth the work.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyIronLung View Post
Why minimal gain ? No reason why that should feel like the case. If you do want to build something similar but reduce the effort or what you might feel is extra hassle then don't bother cutting out the centre sections of the frame. That would mean less absorption of course, but it's definitely the most time consuming part of the process. I reckon it's worth the work.
Sorry i wasn't clear. I meant those holes on the side would be to much hard work for minimal benefits. At least thats what i think but i don't really know...

I wonder what % of the sounds hits the sides compare to the front? And I'm thinking i could probably build a couple more to compensate for that lost. Is this a good way to look at this?

Last edited by MustacheVerra; 29th December 2010 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: freaking mistake again!
Old 29th December 2010
traps

Nice work! How did you cut the sides so nicely? I tried also, but I made so much mistakes, so I drilled holes
Btw, you should use something for extra isolation against the dust, there is a type of fiber-glass foil, I don't know the english name, they are usually used under the wallpapers.
Attached Thumbnails
My easy to build wall traps (Photos)-s6303447.jpg  
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

cool stuff
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiselab View Post
Nice work! How did you cut the sides so nicely? I tried also, but I made so much mistakes, so I drilled holes
Btw, you should use something for extra isolation against the dust, there is a type of fiber-glass foil, I don't know the english name, they are usually used under the wallpapers.
Those look pretty cool!
I have a box of 12) 2' x 4' x 2" thick 703 sitting in my garage for the past year....I just gotta find time to build a few frames for portable bass traps.
I might go with your holy idea and make a pair of freestanding like those.
Thanks!
Old 30th December 2010
traps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti View Post
Those look pretty cool!
I have a box of 12) 2' x 4' x 2" thick 703 sitting in my garage for the past year....I just gotta find time to build a few frames for portable bass traps.
I might go with your holy idea and make a pair of freestanding like those.
Thanks!

You're welcome! I'm also using them as portable bass traps during mobile recordings.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Hey, I really like that frame! What size (thickness) is the timber and how robust does the panel feel? (glued and nailed I presume?)
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebg View Post
Hey, I really like that frame! What size (thickness) is the timber and how robust does the panel feel? (glued and nailed I presume?)
I'm gonna guess this for fun Noiselab...
He got 1x6 pine from Home Depot.
a 3" hole saw chucked up to a drill press, or fighting each hole with a hand drill with a handle.
spacing to let the ends fall with a little extra spacing for strength....just a simple butt joint with 3 pilot drilled holes for 3" screws. and a little glue at the joint for good luck. heh
Old 30th December 2010
traps

Quote:
I'm gonna guess this for fun Noiselab...
He got 1x6 pine from Home Depot.
a 3" hole saw chucked up to a drill press, or fighting each hole with a hand drill with a handle.
spacing to let the ends fall with a little extra spacing for strength....just a simple butt joint with 3 pilot drilled holes for 3" screws. and a little glue at the joint for good luck. heh

You're right, but:
Home Depot and other multis are expensive, I bought it from a local dealer (trimmed pine 1x4 only, it is around 0,5EUR/meter) holes were drilled with an industrial vertical drilling machine (older than me Glue was not needed, the 3 screws/side are enough.
Next project will be a big trap/gobo for vocals, with movable wings, there is a new brand here in Hungary, they are manufacturing full formaldehyde free rockwool.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiselab View Post
I just used a large diameter hole cutter to drill a hole at each end of each section, then pencilled a line between the tops and bottoms of those holes, then cut the remaining section out with a jigsaw. If it's clamped in place and the jigsaw blade is sharp then you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebg View Post
It's 18mm x 144mm timber to make up the frame. I glued all the joins (two dowels for each) then screwed the sections together. It's as solid as a rock.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyIronLung View Post
I just used a large diameter hole cutter to drill a hole at each end of each section, then pencilled a line between the tops and bottoms of those holes, then cut the remaining section out with a jigsaw. If it's clamped in place and the jigsaw blade is sharp then you shouldn't have any problems.
Careful on revealing your Mastering secrets. lol
Looks like you are good with the jigsaw
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Careful on revealing your Mastering secrets. lol
Looks like you are good with the jigsaw
Ha....i reckon i've benefited plenty from other peoples secrets on here, so it's all fair play. Happy to share if it's of help to anyone else.

I'm handy enough with tools but it's mainly common sense - securing the timber and cutting with a sharp tool makes a huge difference. If you're not too confident, just cut with care and take your time.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search