The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
4 Real Traps, 4 minis, 1 basement. Dynamics Plugins
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

4 Real Traps, 4 minis, 1 basement.

Hello friends, I just moved into this new house and part of the basement is mine to install my studio.
I already have some Real & Mini Traps from a previous life but the room I think will need more treatment.

The "curtains" on the back wall will open on a family room, all recording and mixing will take place in the main room or I'll try to turn the family room into a recording space if needed.

I was thinking of 2 Real Traps in the front corners, the Minis to create a Reflection Free Zone but my main concern is the back wall that resonates a lot by itself. Would putting a huge bass trap covering that portion of the wall work?

Ideally the room would not be too dead for recording and not too live for mixing ...

Any idea is very welcome.

riteup3

pic #1: view from the "family room"
pic #2: view from the front wall
Attached Thumbnails
4 Real Traps, 4 minis, 1 basement.-img_0190.jpg   4 Real Traps, 4 minis, 1 basement.-img_0192.jpg   4 Real Traps, 4 minis, 1 basement.-basement.jpg  
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Four bass traps in a room that large is not really enough, though I'm sure they'll help a little. For absorbing early reflections, the HF type of MiniTrap works best. Standard MiniTraps are better used in corners as bass traps.

--Ethan

Gear Addict

HI Ethan, thanks for chiming in. Of course I plan on building some more absorbers. Just looking for general ideas to help make this room ok
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru
Tiles

Hi rite, congratulations on the new house. This room will be very difficult to treat. Is there an option?
DD
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteup3 View Post
HI Ethan, thanks for chiming in. Of course I plan on building some more absorbers. Just looking for general ideas to help make this room ok
Pick up the phone and call him. I am sure he has time to walk through your room. The nice part of buying a finished product is the personal consulting you will get.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Thanks re:tiles ... I am putting some thin carpet on top of a layer of compressed wood panels that are kinda soft in hopes this will help tame some reflection from the tiled floor.
I know the room wont be perfect due to many factors, just trying to make it the best possible. Hey I wont complain after many years spent working in a tiny apartment bedroom heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
Hi rite, congratulations on the new house. This room will be very difficult to treat. Is there an option?
DD
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
Pick up the phone and call him. I am sure he has time to walk through your room. The nice part of buying a finished product is the personal consulting you will get.
ah ah good "call"! I bought the traps 7 years ago, they have been living in cardboxes for the last 6 years ... time flies!
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Guru
Carpet

The carpet will help enormously. This is one of your two biggest areas completely covered. If you can, enhance the carpet or the underlay. Thick acoustic rated underlay would be a very cheap but radical improvement.
DD
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search