The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DIY Treatment build Studio Monitors
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

DIY Treatment build

Hey all, after reading through some threads and sites on diffusers (mainly Jeremycox's sticky thread and QRD diffusers: Technical Overview) I decided to build my own. As I have very little knowledge of working with wood, I asked my dad to help. So here goes =)

I decided to go for an N7 QRD. I'm building it with 1/4" MDF Board from Home Depot. At the advice of people in Jeremycox's thread, I decided to make the wells 1-1/2" wide and 8" deep.

We don't have a table saw (I believe it was stolen from our garage during a busy remodel a few years back) so my dad made all the cuts with a circular saw. We've had to file a few of the edges down to even it all up, but it looks to be fairly snug and well-fitting so far. We're glueing it together, and shooting nails in certain places with a nail gun made for nailing trim.

It's about halfway done right now but if this one goes well, I think we'll be building another, larger version =D I'll try to post pictures as we go.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Treatment build-2-all-layed-out.jpg   DIY Treatment build-4-first-glue.jpg   DIY Treatment build-6-next-glue-day.jpg  
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

More pics

It's taking quite a bit of time because we want to make sure the glue really sets. Here's some more pictures of the fins and well dividers.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Treatment build-7-taking-shape.jpg   DIY Treatment build-8-measuring-spaces.jpg   DIY Treatment build-9-building-building.jpg  
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

For some reason, a few of the pictures are getting twisted around. Oh well...
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

We finished it yesterday! Here are some pictures from this morning. I think it's a bit too small to use practically in my room (which is rather useless as it is anyway ) but I tried it behind a mic and it really crisped up the sound. I think I'm gonna try to find ways to use it profitably during tracking.

Here's more pictures. It will be painted sometime in the (near) future
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Treatment build-13-setting-up-last.jpg   DIY Treatment build-14-clamping-corner.jpg   DIY Treatment build-15-clearing-glue.jpg   DIY Treatment build-16-done-room-.jpg  
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search