The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Painting diffusers Modular Synthesizers
Old 27th December 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Painting diffusers

Hey all,

I'm starting my first ever DIY build of pretty much anything (with the help of my knowledgable Dad). We're building a small QRD Diffuser with 1/4" MDF board from Home Depot, and if it goes well, we might make a few more.

My question is this: Are there any guidelines or things to avoid when painting diffusers? With my inexperience here, I'm afraid we'll take the time to build it, then do something wrong in painting


Thanks =)
Old 27th December 2010
  #2
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
You can paint any way you would like.

Building QRDs is more about the tools then any thing else. You will be cutting a lot of different sizes wood that all needs to fit together to not have gaps or wrong depths. If your father does not have a table saw with a digital read out I would HIGHLY recommend you find someone to cut the wood. We use a 100K CnC router to cut ours, so that should give you a little insight.

Best of luck on the build. Post pictures when you are done. thumbsup
Old 27th December 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
You can paint any way you would like.

Building QRDs is more about the tools then any thing else. You will be cutting a lot of different sizes wood that all needs to fit together to not have gaps or wrong depths. If your father does not have a table saw with a digital read out I would HIGHLY recommend you find someone to cut the wood. We use a 100K CnC router to cut ours, so that should give you a little insight.

Best of luck on the build. Post pictures when you are done. thumbsup

Cool, good to know there's some options for painting =)

We don't have a table saw (I think someone stole it from the garage during a remodel a few years back). My dad used an electric circular saw and we've used a file to even out the edges. It seems to be fitting quite snuggly at the moment but we'll see when it's all done.

This first one is more a test unit for me to see the problem areas and whatnot. It's only about a square foot in diameter. Hopefully it all fits together in the end

I will definitely post some pictures once it's done
Old 28th December 2010
  #4
Gear Nut
 

Yes post pics please! I just built some skyline diffusors and loved the project and this is next on my list.
Old 28th December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Diamond View Post
Yes post pics please! I just built some skyline diffusors and loved the project and this is next on my list.
Sure thing. I'll start a separate thread so the title is a bit more relevant to the content =)
Old 28th December 2010
  #6
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by L Diamond View Post
Yes post pics please! I just built some skyline diffusors and loved the project and this is next on my list.
It takes a ton of cutting but I would think a skyline is easier to get right.
Old 31st December 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torea View Post
Sure thing. I'll start a separate thread so the title is a bit more relevant to the content =)

this is it =)
DIY Treatment build
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Lifted / So much gear, so little time
16
OceanMan / Low End Theory
20
gremmy / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
15
dan_zero / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
11
rxfit06 / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
10

Forum Jump
Forum Jump