The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does this room have any potential?
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

Question Does this room have any potential?

Alright slutz this is an exciting moment for me. My first post!
I've attached some pictures of the basement i have to work with for recording and mixing. I'm a sound recording student and have a basic grasp on room acoustics... or so i thought
Anyways, i refuse to make any major decisions without hearing what you guys/gals think first. Some starting questions I have are...

- Is that an okay place for drum sets to be recorded? (where my "drum set" is currently positioned) I mean, i know larger rooms are ideal and that small spaces are usually a nightmare but the walls aren't really parallel... What treatment can I give that area to make it work? (if its even possible)

- I attempted to make a small area that was originally supposed to be a bathroom into a "vocal booth"... The foam definitely dries up that space and I'm always looking for dry vox so that I can add reverb myself. Is there anything I can do to improve that small space? Do I have the right idea at all?

- Is there a better place I can set up in the room for monitoring? I doubt where I sit now is ideal but I honestly have no clue where to go.

- How can I use absorbers, diffusers, and bass traps to improve this specific room's acoustics for recording and mixing? It's a really unusual shape.

Please let me know if there is anything I can add to this post to help you help me!
I want to thank everyone in advance for your time and patience... This website sustains me

Does this room have any potential?-basement-1.jpg

Does this room have any potential?-basement-2.jpg

Does this room have any potential?-basement-3.jpg

Does this room have any potential?-basement-4.jpg

Does this room have any potential?-basement-5.jpg

Does this room have any potential?-basement-6.jpg
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

more pics

Here are some more pictures of the room
Does this room have any potential?-basement-7.jpg

Does this room have any potential?-basement-8.jpg

Does this room have any potential?-basement-9.jpg

Does this room have any potential?-basement-10.jpg

Does this room have any potential?-basement-11.jpg
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Does this room have any potential?

Did u rip off all the Sheetrock for acoustical benefits?

If so way to get you priorities strait!
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

hahaha no it actually just ended up half-finished like that... long story
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdowl1 View Post
Is there a better place I can set up in the room for monitoring? I doubt where I sit now is ideal but I honestly have no clue where to go. How can I use absorbers, diffusers, and bass traps to improve this specific room's acoustics for recording and mixing? It's a really unusual shape.
Regardless of the shape, the goals are always the same. Start here:

Acoustic Basics
How to set up a room

As you'll read, left-right symmetry is important for the monitoring area. So that will dictate the best place to put your speakers.

--Ethan

Lives for gear

It's really hard to tell from pics.

I've done some great recordings in weird looking rooms, and some pretty dead and boring ones in well treated rooms (over-treated, I should say.)

If you have flutter echoes, fix those. If you're concerned about monitoring, use near-fields in the equilateral setup, with the speakers pointing right at you, about arms' length. That will minimize (though not eliminate) the effect of the room. Use headphones to double check, and of course check mixes on many systems, listen to lots of other CDs on your monitoring system, to get an idea how things should sound, etc.

I wouldn't go too far with trying to treat the room, at least until you've made some recordings, and identified problems.

I see the advice to just deaden a room down to nothing on this board a lot, and I think it's rarely necessary. If you're trying to create a room for doing foley work or voice over work, then yes, go for dead. But most of us are recording music. Go for live, unique, quirky. You're not going to make perfectly neutral recordings, and you don't have a nice Abbey Road type live room.

I've made very good recordings in an untreated garage, with cement floors, and drywall walls. How to make it sound good? Get 20 friends to come hang out and stand around. There, now it's fine!

I'm just saying you need to get the idea out of your head that you're going to turn that space into a perfect commercial space. You need to focus on what's good, and just fix problems, then start making recordings.

Any room is workable, but you have to work within the constraints. Don't try to turn the room into something it's not, just deal with what it is, and exploit it's good points.

Hope that wasn't too harsh, I'm not trying to say you can't record there, just the opposite! Just don't want you to go too far off the rails with the room treatment stuff before it's necessary!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search