The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
diy a good idea?
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Nut

diy a good idea?

Our spare bedroom is being used as a homestudio. I also mix in there.
For recording purposes (acoustic guitars and vocals, everything else get's done in a good room) I need to tame the flutter and high reflections, 'cause they are really apparent. If I could influence the low mid/bass too, that would be ideal since it would help the mixing also.

A friend of mine has old glassfibrepanels which he needs to get rid of, but there is no indication of density... They are about half an inch thick. Would it be a good idea to build wooden enclosures, glue about five of them together, push it in there and put some light fabric over it?

Not knowing the specifics of the material makes it a bit amateurish, but since my budget is very limited, and I could get it for free, would it be worth the effort? For now, the walls are pretty much bare, with a thick carpet on the floor.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Yes, five 1/2-inch thick panels placed adjacent (not glued) will do a good job. You don't even need a frame, though it won't hurt.

--Ethan

Gear Nut

So just the light fabric around it? Isn't the glassfibre going to be irritating that way? 'Cause I helped that friend putting it against his walls (wearing gloves ofcourse) and afterwards I was scratching myself for days.

The other thing I was wondering about: you need to be able to blow through the fabric in order for it to be as effective as possible, right? But is it safe to have that hanging in a room in which people sleep quite regularly when they crash at our place?

Thanks for the response, much appreciated!
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Rigid fiberglass is safe when wrapped with fabric. Just don't bang on the panels with a broom stick. heh

--Ethan

Gear Nut

Ok, I'll try to cut out that habbit.
Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search