The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bass Traps Behind Monitors? Dynamics Plugins
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

Bass Traps Behind Monitors?

Hey Everybody, So I'm sure there's been another post out there like this, but I couldn't find it. Unfortunately, my main workspace has to be close to a wall, and I currently have a pair of rear ported monitors. Obviously, this is pretty much a worst case scenario for bass response, so I was wondering how well it would work to have trapsput behind the monitors, to take out some of the excessive low end. (Note, I'll be getting some much better front ported monitors soon, so it will only be a temporary solution.
Sorry sorry the beginner question
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

The problem with being close to the front wall is SBIR which are reflections from the wall interfering with the direct signal. That being said, yes bass traps againt the front wall will definatly help a lot!
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Guru

If there is a SBIR problem. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. See the following to understand SBIR.
Learn what is SBIR (Speaker Boundary Interface Response).
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
If there is a SBIR problem. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
Isnt there always a problem with SBIR if you have walls close to your speakers? SBIR will create peaks and nulls in the frequency. Sometimes these might actually be positive, especially if they contradict with the modes. But isnt it always better to get rid of both?
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

In my small 12' room, the closer the monitors from front wall , the better the response (less nulls).Mine are pratically touching the front wall... but I have massive absorption (thick superchunks and lots of 6" panels spead in the room) that allows it (short decay times and no boomy bass no matter where the speakers are)

I don´t have traps behind the monitors, but I have beside it (two 4", touching the center of front wall)) ; it helps a lot to control some peaks and nulls on low-mid mid frequencies. Well, this is my experience...
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Just to be clear, SBIR is a problem even if the speakers are five feet out from all walls. The farther you get, the lower in frequency the first null. One could argue to put the speakers as close as possible to the walls. That raises the first null frequency to where it's easily managed by absorption. Of course, this is the basis for mounting speakers flush into the walls as is done in large pro studios! heh

--Ethan

Gear Head

Well, after doing some tests, I figured out that my problems are between 100-250 hz so the 2" panels I've been building should do fine. Thanks Glen and Ethan for your help! Someday when I have more than $200 to spend on acoustic panels I'll patronize your webstores!
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Just to be clear, SBIR is a problem even if the speakers are five feet out from all walls. The farther you get, the lower in frequency the first null. One could argue to put the speakers as close as possible to the walls. That raises the first null frequency to where it's easily managed by absorption. Of course, this is the basis for mounting speakers flush into the walls as is done in large pro studios! heh

--Ethan

]
Very well said. thumbsupthumbsup
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search