The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need some advice for trap placement Bass Traps
Old 22nd December 2010
Need some advice for trap placement

I'm going to add some more bass traps to my studio and trying to figure out where I'll get the most band for my buck. If you look at the attached picture it shows my layout. the room is approx 19' wide and 25' long. The monitors on the desk are probably about 3 ft from the front wall. the walls are 10 ft high, but the vaulted ceiling is 15 ft at the peak.

In the front corners I have 3 ft of superchunk (oc703) then some 2x4 bass traps that are 4" rockwool straddling each corner, then another 3 ft of superchunk on top of it. behind the desk there are 4 2x4 2" oc703 absorbers that are spaced evenly. then above them, there are two 2x2 absorbers that are 4" of rockwoll again and then another near the peak that is a 2x4 with 4" of 703. tht big white thing is my ductless A/C unit (Mitsubishi Mr. Slim).

At the very peak of the ceiling I have 3 2x4 traps that are 4" of 703 and they are spaced evenly along it but obviously it only covers about 50% of that peak since it's 25ft long.

In the back, I have more corner bass traps. There is a 2x4 trap, 4" of rockwool, straddling the corner again, and then below it a large duffle bag stuffed with Ultratouch cotton batting (the result is about 16" diameter and probably 30" tall). There is another on top.

Sitting at the desk everything is actually pretty smooth except for a hole from about 85-105hz. So, naturally I'm trying to figure out how to improve the response in that range... I highlighted (with a yellow line) a couple places I was thinking of trying to add more of the 2x4, 4" thick 703 traps. Or would I be better off placing more superchunks or 4" traps along the rear wall?

appreciate any advice.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Need some advice for trap placement-ddstudio_12212010_2.jpg  
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldrummer View Post
Sitting at the desk everything is actually pretty smooth except for a hole from about 85-105hz. So, naturally I'm trying to figure out how to improve the response in that range.
Yes, the corners where you show yellow are good, and maybe you can find some wall-floor corners too? The bottom of the front wall is a great place for bass traps, and it looks like you have only wires etc there leaving plenty of room for traps.

--Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Yes, the corners where you show yellow are good, and maybe you can find some wall-floor corners too? The bottom of the front wall is a great place for bass traps, and it looks like you have only wires etc there leaving plenty of room for traps.

--Ethan

Thanks Ethan - I think I have about 6 1/2 sheets of 2" 703 left, which would make me about 3 more 2x4 (4") traps or I could do superchunks or even "mini chunks" (1/2 the superchunk triangular size)...

would you recommend starting with one over another?

Mike
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

With the limited amount of material you have, just join them to make 4-inch thick panels and put them straddling the corners.

--Ethan

so just to follow up, I had a 2'x4'x4" trap on my back wall also. I removed that and hung a 2'x2'x2" absorber in its place. Then I placed two of the 2x4x4" traps in the back corners (so now there is a 2'x8'x4" [total] trap in the corner with the bag of cotton batting stuffed underneath--so it coers the entire 10 ft height). Then I hung the other two 2x4x4" trap horizontally, up at the top of the wall, to the left and right of the desk. I also had two more bags of the cotton batting and I just tossed those on the floor behind the desk/monitors.

It all seemed to help a little bit more, but I still notice some loss around 100Hz. Probably have to get a lot more scientific to make it any better. I think this is going to help though. I've been able to get some pretty good mixes even before these changes so this should hopefully just make it easier in the future.

Mike

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search